Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess it's time to post some piccies of the 'old girl.'

She's a 1966 Vw Beetle. Chassis-up restoration. Bought her in 1999. Uprated drums front and back. Lowered front and back. Metallic yellow/green (thanks to Fiat Punto MkI for that!). 1972 1300cc 'breathed upon' air cooled engine. Porsche style side exhaust back box and single tip. New fuel tank. New sills. New running boards. Re-finished original steel wheels and caps with 165's on the rear and 145's on the front. Totally original interior, save for the Kenwood stereo that is!

Not fast, very thirsty, cold in winter, hot in summer, but Very very :cool:

She's my 'other lady' which right now means my only lady. :(

Think I will spend some TLC on her this spring and then enjoy the summer 'beetling' about.

Hope you all like her.

Cheers,

Alfa20v. ;)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.........and one just for fun!!

;)

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Never been in a beetle before but she looks like a nice example :cool:

BTW, you left your Alfa lights on ;)

G

·
We used ot have a Beetle in the family many years ago....strange things :lol:

Yours looks like a beauty...enjoy.

ps....whats that thing on the dash, in the grab handle?

wrinx

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wrinx said:
We used ot have a Beetle in the family many years ago....strange things :lol:

Yours looks like a beauty...enjoy.

ps....whats that thing on the dash, in the grab handle?

wrinx

:cheese: Its a leather sponge pad!! ;) I use it to wipe the windows when they steam up (which is often!)

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I had two Beetles.In many ways they are awful to drive,but somehow so characterful you forgive them anything. :cool:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spiderman said:
I had two Beetles.In many ways they are awful to drive,but somehow so characterful you forgive them anything. :cool:

Rather like Alfa's then!! Guess Im a sucker for punishment!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Very nice Beetle Mr. 20V. Love it. :cool:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Been toying with the idea of getting a beetle for years now. This just pushes temptation in my path again. Looks cool Mr. 20v.
Drove one once, quite an experience. Really annoyed I didn't get it too, £400 old pounds (€500-ish) for an early seventies one in red. It needed a bit of work but not too much. But I was twenty at the time and therefore was too young to get insurance on a car that old. Why they wouldn't insure me in a car that would have difficulty reaching seventy is beyond me. Oh well.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Hitler's revenge ;) :D

I had a 1975 Superbug which had decent rear suspension , McPherson strut front suspension, a 1600 motor and a padded dash. Flat chat at 90 mph :D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stori said:
Hitler's revenge ;) :D

I had a 1975 Superbug which had decent rear suspension , McPherson strut front suspension, a 1600 motor and a padded dash. Flat chat at 90 mph :D
Sweet Stori! 90mph in mine is a pipe dream fraid. Had 80mph once, but felt like warp speed. Wouldnt like to break with my drums tho. :rolleyes:

Cheers for all your positive comments. She's had some silly money spent on her over the time Ive had her.
When we get some decent sun here I'll put the Alfa and Beetle back-to-back and take some snaps.

;)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Alfa20V said:
When we get some decent sun here I'll put the Alfa and Beetle back-to-back and take some snaps.

;)
And some performance tests I hope. ;)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John Burns said:
And some performance tests I hope. ;)

mmmm, maybe!! :cheese:

·
Registered
377 Posts
That is gorgeous and very, very :cool: !!... had a 71' 1300 with a Wizard Windjammer conversion in pearlescent peppermint green for a shortwhile.... had Empi 5's, pre 67 lights and long bonnet, one piece windows, hydraulics, Bernard Newbury interior.... truly loved it but the floor was on the way out and I was just out of University with no cash - needed the body off and new floorpan halves so I sold it for peanuts.... often think I'd love another Bug though....!!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
djstanley said:
That is gorgeous and very, very :cool: !!... had a 71' 1300 with a Wizard Windjammer conversion in pearlescent peppermint green for a shortwhile.... had Empi 5's, pre 67 lights and long bonnet, one piece windows, hydraulics, Bernard Newbury interior.... truly loved it but the floor was on the way out and I was just out of University with no cash - needed the body off and new floorpan halves so I sold it for peanuts.... often think I'd love another Bug though....!!

WOW! Lucky guy witha a wizard! Sounds a mint car. Shame the floorpan gives way so easily tho. I had to do mine 4 years ago. Big job :rolleyes:

I'm happy that so many AOers have had beetles!

:cool:

·
Administrator
47,167 Posts
I'd like to balance out all these positive comments by saying that I can't bloody stand Beetles. Horrible farty things they are. Hitler's lawnmower.

I'll go away now :D

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
They were a nightmare to drive with now weight at all in the front. But the sound was good and it was a VW that actually had character

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I like it - especially the interior, and the minimalist dash :cool: :cool: :cool:

Was the red SW in the background yours too, or was the pic taken in your company car park?

(not sure how I missed this thread first time round :confused: )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts