Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, completely new to this forum lark, but would welcome some friendly advice....I have been looking for a new car for some time now, and having driven and driven my mk2 8v golf GTi for four years I'm looking for something a bit more special. Decided it was either to be a Vr6 Corrado or the GTV V6, and now know that Italian is the way to go. Haven driven both, the Alfa just feels and looks that bit more special! Anyway, I have a budget of around 4.5k to 5k and I'm not sure if this is too optimistic for a reasonable one.?? Having never owned an Alfa, I'm just a bit concerned that I'll get one and spend the rest of my time repairing it, as I have heard they have reliablity issues but not sure if this is just not true! I only work 7 miles from home, the extra to Gordon Brown wont kill me-I have tested a couple now, and loved them. Whats a good age/milage to expect for this money?. Do I go dealer or private? I have checked out the buyers guide usuals, cambelt, dodgy electrics, bushes etc etc but just wondered if anyone could give me any further pointers? I'm near Tunbridge Wells if anybody knows of a good one, thanks

·
Administrator
60,442 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Hi mate,

You seem to have done your research into them which is a great start.

The bottom line however is this: £4500 will get you an absolute minter. With this sort of cash you could buy quite a new-ish example, however I recommend you don't bother and instead get yourself a 99/00 example so that you miss out on the new cruddy tax laws.

I've seen fantastic examples with 50,000 miles or so and FSH go for as little as £2250. In my opinion £3000 will buy you a superb example that's had a recent cambelt change and FSH and low miles.

With your sort of budget would you consider a Spider? (GTV Convertible) The reason I ask is because your budget for a GTV V6 is extremely good and you could afford a Spider V6 I reckon.

One thing you've got to be careful of though mate is being ripped off, if you start saying what budget you've got and that you don't know if that'll get a decent one people might be tempted to hike up their prices to sell to you.

I say £3500 would be the absolute maximum in todays current market and economy, it really is a buyers market out there right now.

Good luck though mate and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hello and welcome! :p

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site.

I'm not one of them! :cry:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for this- sage advice. Not really after a spider tbh- Re the tax, thats a very good point, i had considered it and that the extra 200 quid for the tax per year might be worth it for the sake of getting a newer car? I'm PHeads and Autotrader daily, does anybody know of anywhere else I could be looking or indeed know of one for sale? Ideally a dark blue one or silver would be the best, as I've heard that the red ones are susceptible to UV?.... thanks again for your advice

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the red ones are often pink nowadays, :lol:

If I were you I'd go for a pre-2001 Phase 2 GTV V6 6 Speed with around 50,000 miles and FSH with recent cambelt change. For that sort of spec you'll be looking at about £3000-£3500, no more.

If you want a Phase 3 though you'll be looking at the full £5000 and additional tax, but bare in mind that having a newer car doesn't mean you won't have to spend any money, the rules of Alfa are mental and you could buy a 2005 GT and have more issues than you would on say a 1996 GTV TS. Newer doesn't nessescarily mean it will be better / more reliable.

Piston Heads is good but you'll often see people massively overpricing their cars on there. eBay can be a bit dodgy but if you find a good seller who's had the car for a few years and it has FSH etc etc you may do well.

This one looks quite good:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-ALFA-ROMEO-GTV-V6-24V-BLUE_W0QQitemZ280263080629QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280263080629&_trkparms=39:1|66:2|65:7|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers, again very usefu point about pistonheads very true, sometimnes cars seem to sit there very highly price for ages and never shift!l-Ebay one bit too far away :-(- does anyone have any experience of a dealer called Veloces in North London? I have seen a car on their site but havent heard of them before?? cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the advice folks, I am now the proud owner of a 99 plate GTV V6- fantastic car and really enjoying it, used a whole tank of fuel just over the weekend!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts