Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I recently changed the waterpump and fitted a cambelt kit to a alfa 166 3.0 24v.

I changed the belt with out the special tools and used the trusty tip ex pen, whilst this was fiddley, i managed to get everything lined up.
everything turned by hand no problem eg, no valve to piston contact and six compressions.

however, upon startup the timing did not sound correct so i ordered the cam locks and set everything properly using the guide that came with the locks plus the 2011 autodata timing belt book.

when i fitted the cam locks to the car, it seemed that the cams were all over the place and badly out .
i thought this was strange but set it as per the autodata guide anyway, however when i now try to turn the car by hand i can feel piston to valve contact.

i have checked again and again but everything points to the timing being correct, but obviously it is not.

i am starting to wonder if i have been supplied with dodgy cam locks, they were from ebay, but its a large ebay shop.

any suggestions or perhaps pictures of other peoples cam locks would be great.

John.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Am no expert, but were the blocks perhaps fitted in the wrong order?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps, but put them on as per instructions. they are stamped a1 - a4

instructions i have say A1 = exhaust no1
A2 = inlet no1
A3 = exhaust no4
A4 = inlet no6

they are made by eldon.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
checked the tensioner?

Can you feel resistance when your turning my hand - I had this issue, orcan you here something?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i feel resistance, it's a very pronounced dead stop ie not a compression.

i'm reffering to no 1 as cam sprocket end on the rear bank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou for the replies guys, from the pictures you have posted it seems i have the cam locks on the correct cylinders. Also that i have the correct cylinder at TDC.

does anyone have a set of instructions listing which cam locks fit which cams? they are stamped A1 - A4.

the autodata book shows which which cylinders to put them on but thats it, and i'm beggining to lose faith in the instructions that came with the locks themselves.

thanks, John.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes the positions in that thread do seem to differ from the ones in my instructions. however they are refering to laser tools and mine are eldon.

but so far it seemes to be the most likely explanation, if anyone has used the eldon camlocks i would be very greatful if they would share their experience.

John.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A big thankyou to everyone, it seems the instructions that came with my camlocks were wrong. A1 and A2 were the wrong way around and had the cam lobes facing away from each other instead of towards each other.

got it running today and whilst it is a little rough at the mo, i think it could do with a good run and a leak on the intake hose fixing.

i'll get onto the camlock supplier now me thinks.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
:thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts