Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this thread just out of curiosity as I found out I have at home two different versions of thermostat for GTA. One seems to have a small spring damped stailnes steel plate at the tip and second one a brass barel of smaller diameter.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee114/gotcha147/Auta zmeska/stat.jpg

I tested them in hot water and there is also a difference in operation. both open at the same temp and by this they open the passage from the upper thermostat hose. But during this process the stainless steel one presses the plate against the bottom stat opening and closes it:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee114/gotcha147/Auta zmeska/stat2.jpg

The brass barel one pushes the barel into this opening as well but as the barrel is of much smaller diameter than the hole it alows some water flow and mixing all the time, stat opened or closed.

I googled it and the stainless steel plate thermostat seems a much usual option. But for example alfaworkshop lists them both at the same time:

Alfa Thermostat

Parts 60563989 and 60652403, the different tip can be seen on the pictures.

Out of some reasons the stailes steel one is listed for v6 versions of 166, GT and 156 while the brass barel one is listed for v6 versions of 147, Spider and GTV.

I probably have too much free time to think about things like this, but any ideas why do the stats work differently?

·
Registered
123 Posts
For what I now and I heard.

The water temp dial in the 156 GTA varies all the time. It doesn´t stay fix at 90 degrees. It moves all the time between 80 and 100 degrees depending on if you are in the city or going on the motor way, etc....

But on the 147 GTA the dial stays fix at 90 degrees and does not move.

These could be the reason why. Because they are different. But I don´t now why they made them different from the start.

Maybe somebody else now´s??

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
For what I now and I heard.

The water temp dial in the 156 GTA varies all the time. It doesn´t stay fix at 90 degrees. It moves all the time between 80 and 100 degrees depending on if you are in the city or going on the motor way, etc....

But on the 147 GTA the dial stays fix at 90 degrees and does not move.

These could be the reason why. Because they are different. But I don´t now why they made them different from the start.

Maybe somebody else now´s??
Could also be that as the temp.guage in the 147 is controlled bij the ECU via the CAN bus, the displayed values are possibly filtered. On the 156 the dash is not controled by the CAN bus, i.e. all displayed values are "realtime" values....

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just trying to find out if I can use the brass thermostat in GTA housing. Because the housings are different as well:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee114/gotcha147/Auta zmeska/Stat03.jpg

According to eper and part numbers the stainless steel plate one is used by 156 GTA in a housing with one temp sensor and the brass thermostat is used by 2,5 V6 in a housing with 2 sensors ??? And to confuse even more, 147 GTA uses the brass one in the one sensor housing :cry:

I will probably just bolt it together and see if the car runs cold or hot or OK...

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure it will be fine, easy to change if it isn't running working properly though..
I am sure you are right. I just like to understand how things work and why before putting them together to be sure I am doing it right :)

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We do need an alfa motor engineer in this forum right!!

LOL!
I guess they all died with 8v Twin Spark and Busso V6. Current Alfa motor engineers are just purchasers with Fiat Powertrain catalogues on the desk :lol:

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Thanks fur this Gotcha.I have been wondering about this a while and a wees earch popped this up.
I phoned a DET to see if he kent the difference ,like Campbells soup, or whitever and like Elton John I'm still waitin.

IIRC the 2403 is for the 3.2 engines.No sure why BUTT gonna go fur gold and replace with this one.Will find out on strip down if it's like fur like.

Pomeo

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Just to bring this up again. I've noticed the GT V6 thermostat is listed the same as the 156.

This is interesting as the GT shares the canbus of the 147 so I expected the thermostats to be the same!

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Just to bring this up again. I've noticed the GT V6 thermostat is listed the same as the 156.

This is interesting as the GT shares the canbus of the 147 so I expected the thermostats to be the same!
Wouldn't expect CAN bus to make any difference, expect in the behaviour of the temperature guage....

S

·
0 Posts
The two are physically the same outside. So are interchangeable. There is some debate about the internals being very slightly different and which is better. The engine, cooling pipe work and radiator in 147, 156 and GT is the same. Either thermostat will work on any 3.2 engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts