Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the good news first: Alfa sold a total of 11,563 cars last year, up from 8,834 in 2010.

The bad news is that the last two months have seen a sharp decline: in November they sold 689 (compared to 808 in 2010), and in December just 608 (compared to 1,077 in 2010). Seems like Giuliettas' honeymoon is over already.

Data Source: SMMT

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes I looked at those figures too - the Giulietta "blip" does appear to be over just like the MiTo blip before it - and no new cars on the way for quite a while.
The same pattern shows up in European markets as well, Germany and Italy showing the same decline.
It is the sales of todays cars that provide the money to develop tomorrows - so I can't see this being good news inside struggling Fiat.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yes I looked at those figures too - the Giulietta "blip" does appear to be over just like the MiTo blip before it - and no new cars on the way for quite a while.
The same pattern shows up in European markets as well, Germany and Italy showing the same decline.
It is the sales of todays cars that provide the money to develop tomorrows - so I can't see this being good news inside struggling Fiat.
Hopefully Fiat will sell to the Volkswagon Group.
Just look at the success that VW has done with its brands from Lambo to Seat, VW to Audi.
Alfa could be its junior sport division leading up to the Lamborghini's top end.
They would put the Alfa marque and brand where it belongs... at the top.

Alan

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are those on this site who would say you speak heresay but you make some sense. Alfa are not offering enough at the moment and all this talk of spiders, 169 repacements and Guilias some tow to three down the line is just not good enough.:tut:

Other manufactureres have plenty on offer to tempt Alfa buyers away from the brand and they will keep on developing and offering more in the next two to three years while Alfa stumble along with only two models!:tut:

Fiat are only interested in the US and Chrysler at the moment and certainly things there are on the up. Whether this will be a good thing for Alfa only SM can say but I fear the longer Alfa languish with only the MiTo and Guilietta to offer, the more potential Alfa buyers will look somewhere else.

Perhaps it would be better for Alfa if they were bought by another manufacturer. But who would be looking in the current climate?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I am not so sure I VAG to have Alfa, they will desensitise it. They will just end up as dull as the rest of the VAG range. Whilst I admit they have some nice looking cars and there are one or two exceptions on the whole they are souless grey (silver) slabs of metal.

Lamborghini are still good, there is it seems plenty of Italian input but I don't think Alfa would be the same at all down to it being a mainstream brand (ish).

Been with VAG before and have no wish to go back there.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

Given that VW seam the be thinking about shutting down Seat as a failure I am not sure that is a success.

And for a car I have no interest in having a VW with minor bodywork changes and an Alfa badge.

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
These figures need to be expected. The Giulietta is now coming close to being two years old, you can't expect it to continue to save Alfa from sinking. Everyone knows that Alfa should have closed the 159/Giulia gap and should have released it sooner in order to maintain the momentum of the brand. Add that to the 4C being sped up and actually released this year instead of next and hopefully a US release in late 2012, Alfa wouldn't be faced with this continuing pattern of struggling and having to produce a "do or die" model.

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am not so sure I VAG to have Alfa, they will desensitise it. They will just end up as dull as the rest of the VAG range. Whilst I admit they have some nice looking cars and there are one or two exceptions on the whole they are souless grey (silver) slabs of metal.

Lamborghini are still good, there is it seems plenty of Italian input but I don't think Alfa would be the same at all down to it being a mainstream brand (ish).

Been with VAG before and have no wish to go back there.
Hi

Given that VW seam the be thinking about shutting down Seat as a failure I am not sure that is a success.

And for a car I have no interest in having a VW with minor bodywork changes and an Alfa badge.

All the best

Keith
Stop thinking Seat and think Lamborghini.
If the Italian imput is there why not with Alfa too.
Thats what VW could do for Alfa with the right man at the helm.
And if they bought it they would want to develop the range and brand (models ) to get there money back and more.

Stop believing Alfa is independent and think more Lamborghini.
And as for not wanting to buy German you prefer more American ?
The way its going its less Fiat driven these days and more USA.

Still you can always have an American car with some minor body changes and an Alfa badge if that what makes you happy !!!

And thats if you get any cars at all these days !!
The Mito and Giuletta cannot maintain the present company by themselves but where and when is the next coupe, spider, hey even a 159 type coming.

Looking at the current fall in sales in the UK and European markets the cashflow dictates that models planned will be pushed back further and further as the cost of manufacturing and tooling up for a new car is simply not worth producing.

Yes it would be ideal if Alfa was still independent and producing lots of fantastic models on an ongoing basis but those days have gone.

Alan

G

·
0 Posts
I guess if the new Dodge Dart is successful, that is largely down to Alfa as it is a US-ized Giulietta. So don't think of Alfa purely on the merits of its standalone sales...... But can't deny the lack of sales is not a good thing for Alfa and particularly its dealers. You can't run a successful dealership if you don't have cars to sell.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Persimmon, I am not thinking Lamborghini simply because VAG would I doubt, not see it as anything like that.
Alfa Romeo is for all intents and purposes a mainstream (slightly exec perhaps?) badge whereas Lamborghini never was or is. Can I ask why you would think VAG treat it like Lamborghini?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Persimmon, I am not thinking Lamborghini simply because VAG would I doubt, not see it as anything like that.
Alfa Romeo is for all intents and purposes a mainstream (slightly exec perhaps?) badge whereas Lamborghini never was or is. Can I ask why you would think VAG treat it like Lamborghini?
Of course I cannot guarantee anything.
I do not work for Fiat, Alfa or VW.

At this moment Fiat (and the US side) are not overly promoting Alfa.
Nor should they if simple economics plays its part.
The marque now has two car designs - Mito and Giuletta.
Both cars are past their initial launch and more likely looking forward to their phase two upgrades (adjusting some trim, different engines, special limited editions etc etc) to keep needed sales going.
Neither by themselves can sustain Alfa and the dealer network in this country if these figures continue.

Of course you might say the 4C is coming but its still a year off and as they say a week is a long time in politics never mind a year.
And even if built its more limited numbers again cannot sustain the marque/dealer network.

Still the 4C is a sign of positive things that can be done with the correct management and backing.

If the VW group were to purchase Alfa and they have wanted to all too recently why would they spend their money and let the brand wither away.

The VW group has VW and Audi and Skoda and Seat to look after re small to compact executive cars and of course some sporty (Audi) thrown in.

So how would any smart car group make the brand grow ....simply by playing to its strenghts.
Its sport heritage and its customer loyalty.

When I say think Lamborghini I mean think Italian sport cars not just saloons etc.
Imagine a range of italian designed and produced sports cars.
Think Coupe and Spider of years gone by and of cars in the future, think GTA and 4C.
Maybe think Mito GTA .

Its a sports brand featuring cars of all sizes but sport is its theme and heritage.

Thats its differential to the other members in the group and its Italian.

Yes its the proposed little brother to Lamborghini in shape but one that is mass market in comparision and one that could grow.

Alfa sold cars in the tens and hundreds of thousands of models in the past and they can again.

Alan

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I bought another Brera as a shopping car or family hatchback (;))doesn't appeal to me:(

If the Brera was no more or I was in that position now, another marque would get my custom & that's sad........

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Sadly I am with SR on this, if I was any position to buy myself a brand new car I wouldn't even consider Alfa Romeo as they don't have anything that I am interested in :(

Sad times we live in but lets hope they come back with some more tasty machines :thumbs:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Only a few months ago VW were talking about Seat being on its last chance (again!).

I can't see VW treating Alfa as anything like Lamborghini. Maybe as a replacement for Seat as their latin sporting saloon brand. If anything probably a move down market with little hope for anything like the 4C (let alone another 8C). They already have enough halo brands for corporate willy waving (Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley).

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't expect to restart the old Alfa-should-be-sold-to-VW debate!

If such a thing were ever to happen, then there would be some significant changes in the positioning of VWs brands. For a start, it would effectively mean the end of SEAT, whose lower range would be covered by Skoda (possibly badged as SEAT purely for the Spanish market), and the upper range replaced by Alfa, who would also cover the lower Audi range. This would allow VW to push Audi further up-market to compete with Mercedes.
VW would never treat Alfa like Lamborghini; the situation would be the same as it is for VWs other mainstream brands now: sharing as many platforms and components as possible.

Personally, I think that a sale to VW is no longer a possibility; VW have stated that they "...are big enough. We don't need any more brands..." and Fiat-Chrysler need the Alfa brand to achieve their global volume targets.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
VW are about to cancel their Sport Bluemotion 2 seater lightweight sports car as they dont think it will sell in sufficient volumes to push towards their goal of world domination...

Doesnt bode well for any future ownership of Alfa and niche sports cars does it...!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts