Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone.

First of all please dont shoot me down for what i own and my name.it is currently what i drive. As much as its a great car im having some problems with a Vw dealer and some persistent (engine/rattle) niggles with my 2 year old white scirocco.

However, ive fallen for the Clover leaf Gu, and i cant stop looking at them on the web and reading this forum. I have test driven the Cloverleaf and instantly fell in love with it, only the gear shift i found not up to the VW standards. But whats stopping me putting the PX in is im worried about ALFA customer service, and the Cloverleafs reliability. I would really like an honest opinion, of the car and your after sales service with alfa?. Yes i know it looks great and goes like the clappers, but long term use really, how do you find it?

My scirocco does about 31-33comb mpg, gets about 320miles to the tank. The interior is very sturdy, and the engine is pretty quick still.....and i love the nose............. but im having a constant b pillar rattle, which VW cant seem to fix, and a few niggles with the engine!! from a VW surely not!!!
I went for the VW because of its reputation for reliability, yet i havent seem to of experienced it yet, so im starting to think most car brands are the same these days. I must admit my constant moaning at VW, has made them treat me like royalty when i drop my car off, even meeting me at the door as i walk in lol.

But really hows your experience with AR? have they indeed improved and do you think they can finally shake thier below standard reputation.

Lets all face it AR make some gorgeous looking cars and thats what i like, most VW BMW & audi are starting to look the same, i do like the look of my VW, hence why i bought it over the GOLF GTI (boring looking car) but there is something about alfas, and i felt it when i drove the QV.!!! :) AND THAT DYNAMIC MODE WOW!!!!!

Also my dad can get the 19% off the CL being making it 20800!!!!

Come on guys honest opinions here please ? Please dont treat me like your average german car driver i love my cars, and have always been a secret fan of anything italian lol

Cheers guys n girls

Dan

·
Premium Member
42,855 Posts
Hello Dan and welcome to the world of AO :D

Good luck in your quest to find the perfect car / dealer combination :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thank you,

great community you have here by the way :)

LOl i had a exact same RX8 in 2004 ! lol

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome on-board!

I too had heard all about the customer service issues, build quality, reliability etc but as it was a company car and I also heard that Alfa had been making big strides to get the customer experience better I took a punt.

I've had a Multiair G for 14mths, done 20k and it is my first Alfa (company shed ;) )
14mths ago the G was still a rare sight on the roads and the car was still seen as a very new model

So what's gone wrong.
Slight rattle in drivers mirror (outside temp sensor slightly loose)
Leather seat base went slightly baggy very quickly
Bonnet release snapped (happened to others) in my hand when Autoglass wanted to fit a new screen
Top of gearknob fell off in my wifes hand (known issue)

During this time I also had a Fuel filler cap wouldn't release and open sometimes (known issue) and asked for this to be sorted at the service last month.

I'm realistic about cars, they ALL have issues so I wasn't bothered this had happened

The car has been back to the dealer (Guests at Willenhall) 3 times to get the above fixed.

I have had no issues whatsoever with Guests for fixing the above and the service, they have dealt with every item in a professional and fuss free manner, exactly what I wanted and the type of service we should all get :D

What impressed me was that when the car was returned after fixing the bonnet release handle they told me they wanted the car back because they weren't satisfied with its operation and wanted to investigate the mechanism on the slam panel.
I checked the handle and it worked fine, when I got it back the second time there was a marked improvement. To me this was a bit of a revelation because they weren't prepared to accept a partial fix and wanted it to be right :)

I firmly believe your ownership experience of any marque is more than just driving the car, it is down to how the dealer delivers the service for any warranty work required and routine servicing.

For me Guest's have more than met my expectation for customer service. They return calls, give me updates, clean my car brilliantly :D
I don't have any affiliation whatsoever with them, just impressed with their attention which is a step up from a lot of the other marques I have had as company cars (Vauxhall, Honda, MG, Toyota, VW) over the last 15years

I'm very happy with my rattle free MA G, it is well screwed together.
I have a local dealer that is attentive and responsive.

My first Alfa experience has been excellent :D

If you do switch, I hope you can experience the same.

John

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah thank you thats a very informative reply?

If i had your service even with your problems i would be happy.

But has some of these things been fixed in the newer builds of Gs? after all mine would be a 2012 build i would presume. That was me ETA anyway.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dan,

I believe they have been rectified. There is a certainly an update on the gearknob.

As for the fuel filler cap and bonnet release, I was probably unlucky with the bonnet release, only a few people have reported this issue on AO.

The filler cap is not a big problem, the dealers know how to fix this in a couple of minutes.

I have given you a warts and all overview of my experience. There are many owners on here that are not reporting issues and when they do it appears as though Alfa are really making an effort to get them fixed :)

I have friends with premium brand cars that carry none of the "unreliable, poor build quality and poor customer service baggage of Alfa"

They all have problems as well, generally with the dealer experience, no car is perfect and when you think it is made up of thousands of components it isn't surprising when the odd thing goes wrong or is a little bit wonky.

To me the key factor is how the dealer responds to the customer and deals with the issue. Here Alfa have been excellent for me.

John

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats great to hear and i agree, after sales is just as important as pre sale service.

Cheers mate :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VW just gave me a Extra (4 yrs in total) years free full warranty for the hassle. At least thats something, as said after sales is just as important.

What colour Gui is the best? my Scirocco is white, and ive been eyeing up a white cloverleaf too? Anyone?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan,

Let's put it this way... Alfa has its biggest market share in the hatchback segment that they have EVER had. Now if the car's reliability was bad would this be the case? They rated top 10 in the UK JD Powers results recently which shows the service experience is good.

I had one or two minor issues with my G. Driver wing mirror rattled. That was fixed in 5min. And my Blue&Me acted up.. Just showed Blue&Me Media Player and not the title and artists of songs on my USB. The Blue&Me was replaced and it's been perfect since.

I have done 47800kms in just over a year and I love the car to bits...

Take the plunge.... What have you got to lose. Life is short. Take the chance to own a car that will make you smile every time you walk towards and away from it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Dan, I went through exactly the same thoughts as you a year ago. I had owned VW's BMW's, Mercs, even a Porsche and all of them had their own issues and had absolutely no character. I had always wanted a Alfa but was worried about the reputation untill I walked into Guests Solihull one Sunday last Jan and fell in love with the Guiletta and in particuar with a QV in the showroom which I bought there and then.

A year and 8000 miles later I have not been back to Guests since I drove it off the forecourt brand new...it has been absolutely completely and utterly faultless. Nothing has broken or fallen off. Nothing rattles. I did read about a few of the early issues, like to sticking fuel flap so I just apply some grease on the catch when I wash it and its been fine.

So I can'nt really comment on the delaer back up because I have'nt needed any, ( and hopefully that is the way it will stay) but the buying experience at Guests was excellent and I would recommend them to anybody.

Do what i did, but your concerns to one side and go and buy one, you will not regret it!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
My Guilietta is my fourth (modern) Alfa and so far after 15000 miles I've only had one trip back to the dealer for an issue with 'lumpiness' on starting (Mines a JTDm). It was fixed promptly and I had another G as a loan car for a couple of days. I can't fault the service and to be fair in the 10 years I've had dealings with them it's been the same.

Mine has practically no rattles, only now and again do I hear something but it doesn't seem to last long enough for me bother finding it. Though I did notice one on the loan car somewhere near the armrest.

I think if I'm totally honest I don't think the general fit and finish inside the Alfa is as good as the VW's I've been in, or perhaps the last two cars I had (BMW's) but this is made up for by the generally more interesting interior design.

All things considered I think you would be just as happy with AR as a brand as you would be with any of the others and if you have the right mind set you could find you are completely 'hooked'. If you have a sense of History and an interest in design and Engineering, you can't fail to be impressed with Alfa's past (Spend a few hours looking back at it). Admittedly a lot of that has gone by the wayside these days, but there is still enough of it left to set AR apart as a brand and it's no surprise Alfa's have a hard core of followers which very few other main stream brands can match. Beware it might just change your outlook on life in a way you never imagined...:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've had mine 4 weeks and done 2900 miles. It's a Giulietta Cloverleaf.
Has Etna Black, heated seats, built in sat nav (flips up out of dash when you start it), electric folding mirrors, parking sensors.

I love it to bits. I'm not going to go through why because you've only test driven one and seem to have fallen for it already.

When it arrived I noticed a rattle from the passenger door card. I took it back to the deeler it had came from the same week, they fixed it in about 40 minutes while I waited, apologised profusively and fed and watered me while i waited.

They were friendly and gave me some advice on headunit removal for fitting of my sub (there's another thread for that). (Alexanders Teeside).

Since then, around 900 miles, it said I needed new brake pads. I looked through the wheel and could see I didn't. I took it into Picadilly Wakefield, but theyre predomenantly Fiat, they can do Alfa services and sales but not warranty repairs. They had a look for me anyway just to make sure it wasn't dangerous, at no charge, and found a loose sensor. They reattached it and it's not come back since (so another 2000 miles later).

For me, the service has been excellent, and I have absolutely no worries with the car. I'm not convinced I wont have the odd issue with it, but i'm not bothered in the slightest because I know it will get fixed, and at my convenience, and quickly.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
not here, do you have a raleigh chopper?, i've always been a grifter fan and had one when i was 14 many years ago, got all sentimental a few years ago and got this one from e-bay, its immaculate and in the same 'steel blue' colour of my original one.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I know there are a lot of people out there who seem to know someone who has had a bad experience with Alfa. If you check DEKRA who monitor used car repairs and warranty repairs Alfa are no worse (and in some cases better than) other premium manufacturers. I agree it's all about the customer experience at the garage though and that's definitely an area that in the past has been lacking but definitely has improved. I would endorse Guests too (I use Solihull) - I've bought a number of cars from them and it's always been a positive experience. Servicing and warranty work is up to the same dizzy standards too. Bought my 'G' from Mango's though and that was equally good.

Enjoy the process, delight in the car!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest ill think im better off with the devil you know.. There seems to be a lot of niggles for a 25k car on here, some which shouldnt definitely happen.. I know ive had probs but, they have been fixed i drive a perfect car for now.

I like the QV, looks stunning but build quality still sounds shoddy..

Ill give it another few years before diving into an alfa.

Cheers of the replys guys.

Happy Motoring guys

·
Registered
573 Posts
Choosing a car shouldn't be all about avoiding problems. It's not possible and you know that for yourself, owning a car that people expect not to have problems.
It's not like that.
Lots of Alfas here with no problems whatsoever, and lots of VW's, bimmers, japs, with lots of them.
One should go for what makes our hearts race.
But i think you like your Scirocco a lot, and a nice car is a nice car, be it italian, german or whatever..
So enjoy yours. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ah thanks Rui, i do love it and now ive almost got rid of it , i love it even more, i know deep down ive made a right choice and bought a good car.. alfas are still a very attractive prospect vo :)

Your right vo, but in this day and age, money of this amount is not easy to come by, and avoiding a "problematic "car would be a healthy option, my single days and fast cars lifestyle is over and i have a family to look after, but hey i can still have fun lol

ANyway i had an Red Rx8 in '04 loved that car too bits, Mazda sure made that car well. Apart from the mpg which around town was below 18 lol!!! But driven on a track WOW!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
If you think that the build is "shoddy", then, no, you definitely shouldn't buy one, because your mindset is going to pick and find fault with anything and everything about the car.
Until you can get past that, there's no point in buying anything other than what you feel is a "safe" buy.

To give you a flip side, based on my experience, and not what others have told me...
I almost bought an Audi TT, but the dealer didn't want to talk to me. I bought a Brera instead, and had 4 years of very reliable motoring.
When I went to change it, I considered the Tiguan or a Golf. Went to a dealer (different to the first) with 5 sales staff sitting at their desks. I was the only customer there. None of them said hello. I walked over to the cars I was interested in. Stood there. Tried the doors (they were locked). Walked off to find brochures. Found them, came back and read through them while walking round the cars. Still no sign of life.
In the end, I walked out. If that's how bad their customer service is when you want to buy something off them, then how terrible they must be when it comes to after sales. Sorry, I'm not going to buy a VW/Audi, because their staff won't sell to me.

I've had 6 years of Alfa ownership and they have been the most reliable brand with the best customer service. (I've owned Audis, Fords, Hondas, Hyundais, Renaults, Rovers & Seats)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
OP
- if reliability is the main thing, why did you not buy Japanese? They massively outpoint all the Germans on JD Power and DEKRA. Even Skoda outpoints VW main brand
- if ego support is your main feature, buy BMW/Audi/Merc. We all know why people do. That's fine with us. You'll get massive bills, long periods off road, and still be happy because of what you /think/ your neighbours or colleagues think (actually they are generally thinking something else, but they won't say it to your face)
- if you are just a troll, or work for VW, we are not buying it. Trit Trot.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts