Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa SUV is still delayed - earliest date is late 2016 says here

Here is awaited beauty: http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ALFA_SUV-626x382.jpg (Why is there no pics alowed? :censored:)

What it should be like - a X5 in Alfa clothes or more off-roading?

I'd like it to be more like Alfa reviewed Outback - fast, torquey, reliable and off-road abling (Yeah, I like Subaru too) - more like 2016 Outback (off. page and review)
I like auto touring and getting where noone around.

What do you think they'll make it like and what would you do?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's just.....wrong. If you walked into a dealers in the next couple of years and chose it over the Giulia sat next to it you really should be questioning whether your eyesight is actually good enough to be driving at all.

·
Registered
35,763 Posts
They should abandon any pretence at off road capability, and just make a killing from those people who like driving cars on stilts which look chunky.
A large percentage of car buyers do like driving taller chunkier cars. My wife had to be towed out of a field when she parked her Kuga for a triathlon recently. Still wouldn't be worth driving round with a 4wd for the remaining time she doesn't have to drive across fields.
There's virtually no market for traditional 3box cars of the Giulia sector. Non- German cars in the tiny market that still remains are sharing 5% of those sales. That's Volvo, Jaguar....

·
Registered
40 Posts
A large percentage of car buyers do like driving taller chunkier cars. My wife had to be towed out of a field when she parked her Kuga for a triathlon recently. Still wouldn't be worth driving round with a 4wd for the remaining time she doesn't have to drive across fields.
There's virtually no market for traditional 3box cars of the Giulia sector. Non- German cars in the tiny market that still remains are sharing 5% of those sales. That's Volvo, Jaguar....
Does appear to me as more an accounting decision to build more than a bunch of designers and engineers sitting around wanting to do it. Though their real challenge will be doing it well.
Cars do have fashions, at the moment it seems to be SUVs. Everybody was buying MPVs when they first appeared. Don't know if its what buyers want, or what the marketing men are telling them they want - selling people a lifestyle rather than selling them what they need. Just because you've bought an SUV doesn't mean you'll suddenly take up surfing or mountain biking. It'll still just be used to go to Tesco and the daily commute.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Why bother?

If I want a proper one I'd get a RangeRover or Land Rover.
Or at a push the Jag.

Or the Renegade or 500.

Or even the Dacia if I'm on a budget.

There's just no point to an Alfa SUV.
But I'm willing to be proved wrong.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why bother?
Because if they make a half decent job of it, it will out sell the Giullia 2 to 1.

No matter how good the new Giullia is I can't see many 'user choosers' deserting their beloved BMs for it and, as a private purchase, BMW are virtually giving away their saloons at the moment.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Why bother?

Or at a push the Jag.

Or the Renegade or 500.

the alfasuv will be a jeep in sheepskin most likely...

Remember the Matta? Alfa made a Jeep already but with it's own engines...

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
But shouldn't I be in the target ?

Previous Alfa owner who currently see a benefit
of a CSUV.

Just the idea of am Alfa one leaves me cold....

:(

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Why would it sell at all. The 500x is already on sale, & people who want that sort of product already own Nissan Puke's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alfa SUV is still delayed - earliest date is late 2016 says here

Here is awaited beauty: http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ALFA_SUV-626x382.jpg (Why is there no pics alowed? :censored:)

What it should be like - a X5 in Alfa clothes or more off-roading?

I'd like it to be more like Alfa reviewed Outback - fast, torquey, reliable and off-road abling (Yeah, I like Subaru too) - more like 2016 Outback (off. page and review)
I like auto touring and getting where noone around.

What do you think they'll make it like and what would you do?
They've posted test mule photos on the same page - are they fake too? Even if it was a fake back then, now sometthing is going to be born.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
You seem to put too much stock in a 5 year old article ("If the 159 replacement will be called Giulia..." :lol:)
and European car magazine fake artwork in general.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just give it a chance, if only for my sake, cos I want one.
If it's a dog's dinner then I'll have to have an Evoque and we all know what kind of people buy them. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Why bother?

Or at a push the Jag.

Or the Renegade or 500.

True enough, completely pointless, but I see plenty of people driving the ugliest, most pointless gas guzzling monstrosity of them all around here - the Porsche Cayenne, so why not Alfa too? Ugh, why did Landrover have to create the sector in Europe? People would have been happy with 'so macho' Talbot Ranchos if they hadn't made the Discovery 1 ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
What do I expect?

CAR magazine December 2017:
Good: Alfa should have built this car 5 years ago. Historic badge. Italian style. Nice interior.
Bad: Feels like it was built 5 years ago. On road performance average and sub-par offroad. Economy poor. Expensive to buy and run. No hybrid option.
Conclusion: Buy the Evoque or the Macan.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just want Alfa to release a large family car. I have had a brera and now a 159 but now got kids who are gettlng older and bigger and want Alfa to fill the gap. But there is nothing at the moment. My ideal would have been a 169 type sportwagon, realistically though i was expecting a giulia sportwagon - but now this doesnt look on the cards. So we are left with an SUV, so if that means that i can stick with Alfa then im for it and just wish they get on with it. Rather than push back and back with different 5 yr plans every other year.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just want Alfa to release a large family car. I have had a brera and now a 159 but now got kids who are gettlng older and bigger and want Alfa to fill the gap. But there is nothing at the moment. My ideal would have been a 169 type sportwagon, realistically though i was expecting a giulia sportwagon - but now this doesnt look on the cards. So we are left with an SUV, so if that means that i can stick with Alfa then im for it and just wish they get on with it. Rather than push back and back with different 5 yr plans every other year.
I was an SUV hater like so many of the blinkered posters on this thread, but got so sick of being stranded in the Peak District snows I went out and bought one. I am now a total convert and absolutely love it and if Alfa make a decent one I'll be buying their's rather than any Evoque or Macan. Apart from the Alfa being far more exclusive (you can't park for Evoques round here) it should be a hell of a lot less expensive.

So, like you, I just wish they'd get their corporate fingers out.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts