Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After a number of members identifing this may be an issue (including my Mito with upwards of 70 stone chips after 5k miles) I thought I would try a poll.

I am trying to find out if this a general issue for modern Alfa's or just the Mito.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Water based paints, loose stones from the exploded potholes, and gritter/salters! The paint stands no chance whatsoever.;:)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The 159 is quite hardy (Stromboli Grey) but it has some on the front bonnet / bumper and a bit of a rash on the rear sides / arches.

The front of the Rosso GT looks like it's been hit with a 12 gauge:(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water based paints, loose stones from the exploded potholes, and gritter/salters! The paint stands no chance whatsoever.;:)
This is the very thing I am interested in, my wife has a BMW 1 series with 67k miles (she has had it from new) it's a 05 plate and has less than a dozen stone chips.

I assume this would be water based paint as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Concur, 3 year old 159 in Aurora Blue :cool: you got look hard for stone chips to be honest, couple on bonnet and rear wheel arches but an acceptable level for 3 years driving

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My GT is on 68k and has a front end respray as was chiped so bad :( looks mint now though.

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
got a nice big one mid bonnet and it bounced of the windscreen to putting a mark there rather than a chip and then got a 2nd big one on the rear wheel arch on Friday there is plenty of small ones mostly bonnet and rear wheel arches

·
Registered
733 Posts
There's always going to be an exception, so how about this? Two year old 159 - Stromboli 21,000 miles, not one single stone chip, just one minor chip on a front wheel arch, inflicted by a tyre fitter. I can only put this down to luck or divine providence, I don't follow other vehicles too closely, but our roads here in Dorset are as potholed as anywhere. I didn't vote, as I wasn't sure which box to tick.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's always going to be an exception, so how about this? Two year old 159 - Stromboli 21,000 miles, not one single stone chip, just one minor chip on a front wheel arch, inflicted by a tyre fitter. I can only put this down to luck or divine providence, I don't follow other vehicles too closely, but our roads here in Dorset are as potholed as anywhere. I didn't vote, as I wasn't sure which box to tick.
Good point.

Difficult thing creating a meaning full poll, I guess I should have had the option of '0' as well as colour and milage but you can only have a number of options in the poll.

Depending on results I may try a model specific poll.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Maybe I should add that my car had a front bumper & one wing respray about a year ago, after a minor rear-ender pushed me into the car in front, but I had no chips before the respray, and none since. One thing that might help is not a lot of motorway mileage, we haven't got any here in Dorset, though it's done a fair amount of autobahn/autoroute/autostrada travel. The paint on my car is generally pretty good, but Meridien did warn me not to go for Alfa red.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Bonnet has a few but the doors seem to have more than would be expected, soft paint?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts