Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:
Dear All,

I have recently bought an Alfa Spider Veloce automatic 2.0 cat, 1993 in US to import to Russia.

Unfortunately, Russia has invented the law that only Euro 2 spec cars could be brought in.

Could somebody help with the engine specifications or charst, especially with the emissions of this car.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

My problem is the following:

The Russian Government has invented the law which doesn't allow the cars not meeting the Euro 2 spec to be brought to Russia. Euro 2 is approximately US Tier 1. But as Tier 1 was invented in US in 1994, Alfa Romeo's HQ sent a letter to me that the car only meets Tier 0 specifications as it was made in 1993. The only documents i have is the Car passing the Smog Checks in California in 2003 and 2005 but this documents are no sense to the Russian certifications facilities. In this facilities, they can not define the model of the engine and its emissions by VIN. What i need (it could be in the Manual) is any technical details or charts (especially the details regarding the engine type and model, and its emissions). This specifications or charts sometimes could be found on the last pages of the manual.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The Spider S4 (produced 1990-1993) is the last production of it's type of engine. All later 2 Ltr versions of this type of engine have a different cylinder head with 2 spark plugs per cylinder.
I don't think Alfa or any authority will/can give documentation that the engine complies with Euro 2 specifications.
Sorry
Erik

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The big question which is not clear to me - How Alfa Romeo could produce a car in 1993 (and sell it in 09.1993) knowing that US invents Tier 1 specifications in 1994? The Alfa Romeo bureau of technical certification has sent AR Russia the letter that the car complyes with Tier 0 specifcation. So they have produced a car which is street legal in US for 3 months???

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Not much help to you, but there is obviously no way that a 1993 Spider will be Euro2 compliant. It won't even meet the US OBDII std as that didn't come in until 1996 and Alfa withdrew from the US in 1995.

There is more to being Euro2 compliant than just the exhaust emissions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I have researched a lot regarding this issue and US Tier 1 which was invented in 1994 already was more strict than Euro 2 in terms of emissions. The other 2 necessities that are required for the car to pass the Euro 2 in Russia are fuel injection and catalyst to be installed on the car.
The charts i have from the car passing the California smog checks in 2003 and 2005 are approximately 1/10 of the Euro 2 limits. But unfortunately the charts don't work for the Russian certification facilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts