Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My US spec 1976 Spider Veloce 2000 has a cracked steering box that unfortunately looks unrepairable.
I can get a replacement European LHD box, but the box that I have is different in that it has a Universal joint on the link between box and steering wheel.
No-one I've spoken to here seems to be familiar with these and I understand that not all US cars have them as well.
Does anyone know of these boxes with U/J fitted and whether the European LHD box would be a straightforward swap?

BTW I have also put this post on the AlfaBB board

Thanks

David

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
There is some discussion about universal joints on the BB.
I've been researching Steering boxes recently and found it by accident.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
According to my factory Alfa manual it shows the UJ on the shaft as fitted to 1972 US GTV's and Spiders

Attachments

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
According to my factory Alfa manual it shows the UJ on the shaft as fitted to 1972 US GTV's and Spiders
well that is the proof! Thanks!

now the question for the original poster is, I guess, was a UJ fitted purely for US safety reasons, or, because the steering shaft had to clear something in the engine bay on USA models that euro models did not have?........OK usa models had spica injection, but that is on the other side:)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
No one seems to know for sure, apart from safety reasons one suggestion is to allow the steering box to be removed without having to disassemble the steering column, but why apply that to US cars and not Euro, think it must be safety related as its fitted to all S4's

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Joe,
can you look at the corresponding page of that parts list above....over on the BB they point out the book covers both models and you need to look at the corresponding page where that part number/s listed, to see which model that particular steering shaft belongs to.

Ta!
Dom

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.
The car is with my mechanic and the old steering box with ClassicAlfa so I can't get any pics until Tuesday.
Assuming mine is the same as the one in the exploded diagram, can anyone advise whether it may be possible to replace it with a non-U/J box?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Joe,
can you look at the corresponding page of that parts list above....over on the BB they point out the book covers both models and you need to look at the corresponding page where that part number/s listed, to see which model that particular steering shaft belongs to.

Ta!
Dom
Easier said than done as the manual is scanned pdf and not easily searchable and its all in Italian but I'll give it a go - I'm BMX on ABB....BTW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts