Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post so be gentle, even though this is my second alfa I think i just got lucky the first time.
I own a 57 plate spider and have only had it for 2 months, but it seems to have developed a problem with the roof.
I've looked at other forum posts which have been very helpful in trying to diagnose the faults but this one has arisen and i can't find any threads that are similar.
Originally the roof worked fine and then i had to let the car stand for a while whilst i was waiting for my old car to go. The battery went flat and the car had to be jumped.
Next time i went to put the roof down it went down fine but wouldn't go back up, I put the roof up manually and changed the battery which seemed to resolve the issue after some testing.

However now it is getting stuck on the way down. The rear section moves up, and the flaps lock out (so no problem there luckily!) but after the hood unlocks it doesn't move backwards.
I've tried giving it a helping hand but it gets to about halfway back and then becomes very hard to move.
It will still allow me to use the button to put the roof back to up.

I've checked the cable which was out and i had to push back in but that still has not brought me joy.
I've attached a picture of the hydraulic fluid, which does seem a tad low but not dramatically lower than others i've seen. I've got some on order but due to the lockdown who knows when it will arrive!
If anyone has any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
It will be the flap motors, almost guaranteed. They may look OK but if they are not 100% in the correct position, then the roof will stall. The other totally separate issue you may have with the hood is that the rear end of it does not shut tight and/or the hood drags over the hoops, both these issues are because of weak gas struts, do a search on that theme. I changed ours last year and cannot believe how shot they were. Finally, be careful you dont get water in the well under where the roof folds into, this is where the roof ECU lives. Get it full of water and you're into 1500 quid IF you can find one (£1500 is the price I understand that a Ferrari one commands which will work, no experience myself of that thank goodness!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be the flap motors, almost guaranteed. They may look OK but if they are not 100% in the correct position, then the roof will stall. The other totally separate issue you may have with the hood is that the rear end of it does not shut tight and/or the hood drags over the hoops, both these issues are because of weak gas struts, do a search on that theme. I changed ours last year and cannot believe how shot they were. Finally, be careful you dont get water in the well under where the roof folds into, this is where the roof ECU lives. Get it full of water and you're into 1500 quid IF you can find one (£1500 is the price I understand that a Ferrari one commands which will work, no experience myself of that thank goodness!)
Thank you i'll give these an investigate. I think you might be onto something with the gas struts as it does look like the roof is getting caught on something.
Where did you get yours done?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Its not a difficult job if you search on hear there’s a few threads on how to do it.
I bought mine as a lot of folk on hear have done from SGS Engineering the one set is a doddle to do the other a bit more involved but I am no fitter and did mine with reading how too on hear, even if that’s not your fault I guarantee they will need replacing so a good place to start.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Yes SGS, far cheaper than anywhere else, flap motors may be difficult to source, they are Swiss made and I seem to remember that there was new production of them. Somewhere on here, do lots of research, someone switched the motors from one side to the other to great effect. I replaced the gas struts myself.

Found it, they dont list Spider , its under Brera, but the listing is self explanatory:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both, I was having a look on SGS and got confused by the brera tag on it!
I'll give the struts a whirl first and then if issues persist i'll look at the flap motor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is also a thread on hear somewhere about refurbishing your flap motors as long as the cog inside hasn’t given up the ghost and snapped, these roofs are undoubtedly problematic but since I had my flap motors done and the struts it has worked faultlessly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, you might find this thread useful if you're still having dramas with your roof. It might also save you money :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
That’s the thread I was referring too, he really seems to know his stuff haven’t seen him post on hear for a while .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all its very much appreciated. I've got the relevant parts on order and am going to devote a weekend to giving the roof the love it deserves. I'll update with how i get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

Just as an update. In the end, it just seemed to fix itself. I dont have a clue how, but one day it just seemed to start working fine. When quarantine is over i'm going to take it to somewhere like Alfa Bianco to get it looked at, but for the time being all seems to be well. Thank you all for your help, now just the issue of sticking an aux in the thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts