Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several threads on they subject, but still have a problem identifying the fault.

My side lights do not work when switched to position 1 on the steering column stalk.
They do however work when I switch the ignition to the PARK position.

I have checked both fuses and the relay, and they are all working.

There is current at the fuses when the ignition is in Park, but not when the sidelights are set to position 1 on the steering column stalk.

I have seen that there could be a problem with the fusebox melting, but if this is the case would the sidelights still work in the PARK position.

Hopefully someone has had this problem in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
What year is your car?
The wiring for the sidelight are different in a Ph1 and in a Ph2 and I assume you know that the sidelight are only on with ignition on when you set the stalk to position 1.
Can you feel if the relay is activated (feel the click) when the sidelight should be on?
Or you can try to pull-out the relay (I64)and measure if 12V is present at pin 86. See wiring diagram.

Alfa_Romeo_Spider_Sidelight.JPG

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
Silly question but do you know the lights do not function with ignition off?

Not sure what age your car is but for up to 98:

The Park position bypasses the lighting column switch and all the relays. It feeds power directly to 10A fuses F5 and F6.

If the sidelights work with the switch set on position 2 then your position 1 contact is likely dirty.

You should be able to hear the sidelight relay I64 clicking when moving from off to position 1.

You can check whether the switch is the problem by back probing fusebox connector J, pin 6. There is a yellow jumper wire between pins 5 and 6. With the ignition on and switch in position 1 or 2 you should have 12V at pin 6 and continuity to ground with the switch off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is a Ph2 made in September 1999.
Thanks for the input from everybody, my current position is:

1. Sidelights and number plate lights are on when ignition set to PARK. No light on the dash.
There is power to the fuses F5 and F6, as this is fed directly.

2. Sidelights, number plates and dash lights are not on when ignition is turned on and stalk is set to either position 1 or 2.

I have bench checked the relay, and there is power between terminal 85 and 86. The is no resistance between terminals 30 and 87. So relay is OK.

There is no click from the relay when the stalk is set to position 1 or 2, so doesn't seem to be activating.

As mentioned by Babycar, it seems like a problem between the switch and the relay.

Questions:
1. Do I need to take the fusebox out to get to the connector J.
2. How difficult is it to get at the switch on the stalk to see if the connection is the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
The car is a Ph2 made in September 1999.
Questions:
1. Do I need to take the fusebox out to get to the connector J.
2. How difficult is it to get at the switch on the stalk to see if the connection is the problem.

Thanks
1. On my LHD the fusebox is a royal pain to get to the back of. Not sure about a RHD. Connector J has three loops of wire and none that travel away from the connector. It is an 8 pin connector with loops from pin 1 to pin 5 and pin 5 to pin 6 (both yellow). the third loop is orange/white from pin 2 to pin 3. Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 09.36.49.png With the sidelight switch in position 1 or 2 you should have 12V on either of the yellow loops (so pin 1, 5 and 6).

2. It should be easier to get to the stalk. IIRC the column is the typical clam shell plastic parts which once removed expose the guts. There are screws from the bottom half as well as two behind the steering wheel, the latter two can be accessed by turning the wheel - no need to remove the wheel. You'll need to locate connector B68D. It is a four pin connector but has three wires: White/Black, Grey and Yellow. With the switch in position 1 and 2 you should have 12V on the yellow wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI BarbyCar,
Thought I would have a look at B68D first. There is no 12v supply on the yellow wire.
Am I right in thinking the supply goes from the B68D relay to the I64 relay in the fuse box.
If that's the case then it looks like the problem goes back further?

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
You are correct if you don't measure 12V on the yellow wire form the stalk switch to the fuse box, the problem is not in the fuse box.
It is either the yellow wire, the stalk switch or the 12V supply to the stalk switch that is the problem.
Try to see if 12V is present at D68 A and or D68 D

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
Here's the wiring for your sidelights (it changes in Nov 99). Note that the feed for 12V power on B68A Orange wire is only present when the ignition is ON. Note also that the same Orange wire is the feed for your Headlights so if they work with the switch in position 2 then you have power to the switch and the issue is in, or forward of, the switch.

If I were testing this I would turn on the ignition, turn on the headlights - check that they are actually on - then check for 12V at the yellow wire on B68D. If there's no 12V you know with absolute certainty the problem is in the switch assembly.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 14.13.02.png

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
Once you've determined whether or not the switch is the issue, you can check the rest of the system by applying 12V to the yellow wire on B68D. Jumper from the orange wire on B68A and turn on the ignition.

If the rest of the system works and if you don't want to replace or disassemble/repair the switch, you can make the jumper permanent and use the ignition to turn on your sidelights - automatic daytime running lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help and advise, just need to follow up the suggestions you have made to see if I can isolate the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts