Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 years ago I bought a daily driver 916 Twinspark Spider (P1) for a bit over £1,500. Spent a small fortune over the years and improved my bella but never boy racing it, replaced front wishbones several times, replaced cambelt a few times and generally kept car original and loved.

Two weeks ago a fella while over taking decided to bail out and wipe the whole drivers side from my bella, in shock I gave him a piece of my mind and he then told me that he admitted full responsibility and was a Church Minister! Exchanged insurance and we were both insured with Aviva, so first thing following morning I receive the dreaded "We are going to write your car off" call. The negotiation process then begins and after hard negotiation settle on a £3k settlement plus I keep car but car is registered "Uneconomical Repair".

The following morning was a Saturday and I was taking my car for petrol and on a roundabout when a silly girl drives straight onto roundabout without even gncing right and proceeds to take the passenger side from my bella. I get out and she starts accusing me of being in the wrong and being drunk, blah, blah, blah.
I I called Police who said they were not coming out as noone was injured,o much to the annoyance of other road users I sit blocking roundabout while taking pics of cars in situ.

Decided after difficult negotiation with other party I best visit local police station and low & behold she turned up and upon seeing me got very sheepish. I met the Constable and showed him my pictures, explained my side and he then said the other party was claiming I was.responsible and she was suffering whip lash!???
I was told that according to my pics it was obvious she was responsible and to report to my insurance asap.

Was driving home and got call from her insurance admitting she was at fault and that they would prefer I deal direct with them and not through my insurer.

After heated negotiation her Insurance have settled on £3.5k and I get to keep my bella.

Who ever said you Lose money on Alfa's?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm confused.. The same car got hit twice? So you've got 2 pay outs? I would have thought insurance companies share information so they would already know it's in the process of another claim? If not happy days :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jake, , it was literally a day separated the accidents, christmas and no personal injury claim. So £500 in parts, £1,500 bodywork charge, hire car and everything below £5k appears"write off". The genius part of the second settlement was that they wouldn't record it as a write off, that was where my negotiation skills are my proudest achievement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts