Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned central motor with the wires attached to it, as I was fed up with tapping the motor with a hammer.........even that was becoming a little unreliable. Now the electric hood does not work at all, including the manual switches.

Any help & advice would be greatly received.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Disconnect the battery for a while then connect and try again..Worth checking any fuses or relays involved as well..Perhaps it's something wrong about the wiring loom..?Cause it's really odd that even your manual switches don't work..:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Hit the motor harder with a rubber mallet. Mine did exactly the same. I went as far as getting a new motor as it was under warranty, which cost over £500. My car is a toy and not my daily runner. 18 months it lasted before needing to be hit again.

It is probably the plastic cog on the inside breaking down. There are some threads where people have had them made up rather than getting a new motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Spider roof worm/wheel gearbox assembly

It will be the plastic worm and wheel gear inside the motor/gearbox assembly. If you are reasonably confident with mechanicals, you should be able to take the motor/gearbox assembly off the mountings/cables and try the manual switches then. If it cycles OK, then re-attach to the mountings and it should work OK as the gears will be meshing at a different location. If this still doesn't work, I would take the complete motor/gearbox apart (it's quite simple really), clean it all up and inspect the wheel. It is probably worn and sticking.

There are replacement wheels available, made from a superior plastic, but I would have to research where I got mine from now!

I have a 2001 3.0 litre Spider which was doing the same thing. Tapping the side of the motor just 'adjusts' the position of the worm/wheel assembly so it will then cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I've got a fix but it's probably wrong in all sorts of ways :) However it works...remove the lock mechanism from the motor (central bolt). It'll be hard to get off if its stuck in the lock position but a lot of pulling and banging should get it off.

Take the motor out...remove back, if the cog doesn't look worn you'll find that the black cog inside it will be worn (ridges shaved by the clutch in the back cover allowing the metal cog to slip).

Super glue the metal cog to the black section inside the driving cog, clamp to dry and adhere properly. Then get something solid to lodge under the clutch in the back cover...superglue that in.

Attach to wiring loom and try switch behind seats to verify its working, install and set to the "unlocked" angle...re attach everything and then follow the thread on here about getting the right tension etc.

Like I said, not the most technical fix but it's worked for me.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top