Registered
43,564 Posts
YouTube !!!???

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad: :rant:

:p

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
I am not against diesel engines as they have a purpose in live. They are fast in midrange, have great fuel economy and last long.

But putting a diesel engine in a convertible is one of the worst things you can do. That has nothing to do with modern times. Convertible driving is about the wind in your hair, the sun on your face, enjoying of the engine note (not the sound of a #%$^ diesel) and the smell of the environment (and again not of a $%^% diesel).

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Honestly, how many modern diesel engines smell and sound like tractors?

Honestly...
Honestly #1: they smell terrible once they get older.

Honestly #2: they all sound horrible compared to (an Italian) petrol engine.

Honestly #3: they are quick but they suck big time at high revs. And that's where I want to be when having fun on a twisty road.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Honestly #1: they smell terrible once they get older.
That may be true for older generation diesels but not new ones in general I'll think you'll find !! :tut: Our Leon has 71k on the clock and not once in three years have I smelt diesel - apart from when filling it up at a petrol station !! :) It doesn't chuck out huge plumes of black smoke - even under hard acceleration - or any of the other misconceptions there are about modern diesel engines !! It does rattle when cold - as does the Brera - but settles down once thoroughly warm !! It's never going to be as quiet as a petrol is it (given the nature of the differing combustion processes) ?? :)
Honestly #2: they all sound horrible compared to (an Italian) petrol engine.
With all the wind noise at speed you're not going to hear the engine are you :confused: :p
Honestly #3: they are quick but they suck big time at high revs. And that's where I want to be when having fun on a twisty road.
Horses for courses Mr. S... you may want that but there's a growing market/demand for diesel convertibles so that's why their being made & are selling isn't it !!?? ;)

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
That may be true for older generation diesels but not new ones in general I'll think you'll find !!
I see the JTD as a modern diesel engine.

..Our Leon has 71k on the clock and not once in three years have I smelt diesel
At 71k the diesel engine is only just run in. You can hardly call that old.

It doesn't chuck out huge plumes of black smoke - even under hard acceleration - or any of the other misconceptions there are about modern diesel engines !!
I see a lot of JTDs that chuck out huge plumes of black smoke and smell terrible.

It is not a misconception. I see it and I smell it. lol, I can even see it in my own mirror when I put the pedal to the metal (remember I've got a JTD myself)

And a diesel sucks below 2000 rpm and above 4500 rpm. But between those revs they are almost impossible to beat.

With all the wind noise at speed you're not going to hear the engine are you :confused: :p
If you can't, you bought the wrong convertible.

Horses for courses Mr. S... you may want that but there's a growing market/demand for diesel convertibles so that's why their being made & are selling isn't it !!?? ;)
Who cares about the growing market/demand? Most people in the world buy toyotas and volkswagens. Does the fact that they are popular make them desirable cars? Certainly not to me.

N

·
0 Posts
A DERV softtop is an abomination.
You would probably go to hell for buying one.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
As I said Mr. S.... horses for courses !!

I personally wouldn't buy a hairdressers car convertible but wouldn't state 'What's the point' either !! ;) :p

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
A DERV is an abomination.
You would probably go to hell for buying one.
Too late.... I'm already there !!

unhappy-084.gif

:lol:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Wanna bet !! :rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Cheers for the links BF. :D

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Actually how come one's bitched about how it's the 'wrong' colour yet :confused: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts