Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently purchased a really nice 1985 Alfa Spider Graduate USA spec car, but the speedo has stopped working, has anyone lese had this issue, is there a way to repair or fix it as it seems impossible to buy a good working replacement. Thanks Teresa

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
nothing here gets answered without showing us a photo of your Alfa.....
only kidding.......;)
Welcome to the forum.

presuming your 85 USA spider has the dual pods....

does your USA '85 still have this gadget on it?
85 was the last year for this counter in the USA....
mileage counter.jpg

That is a mileage counter....every 30k miles it would trip a light for the O² sensor on the dash (Lambda)....I believe the dash warning light read "EXH TEMP"

so in effect your speedo cable was a two piece affair.
One piece came from the transmission up to this gadget and then a shorter 2nd cable went to the speedo head.
Unfortunately that gadget was prone to freezing up and breaking the lower cable.
You could remove that knurled nut and spin the inner cable whilst someone sitting in the car watched if the speedo needle moved...that would at least tell you if the speedo itself is working

you can (and most US owners do so) bypass all that by fitting the longer one piece cable, straight from transmission to speedo head.
(fyi: The one piece cable is just short of 60 inchs long, iirc)

some information here on the USA forum:
1985 spider lower speedo cable replacement

now, if you do NOT have that gizmo, or it is already bypassed with a one piece cable, then you need to check first of all the speedo cable is good.

You have to get behind the speedo of course to unscrew the cable
that how-to is outlined here from post #6
Inner workings of an '85-era Spider mechanical...

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Dom, just catching up to date with recent forum posts and thought I must say - how kind and helpful you are, both in sharing your knowledge and also taking the time to type out detailed replies, with images and links etc. - a real asset to the foum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sorry i have only just read Doms reply - very very kind of you and i will get my boyfriend to try out your suggestions at the weekend - it will keep him busy - i have found everyone one here very helpful and knowledgeable. thank you XX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts