Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to todays Times newspaper Alfa are in third position in the "Winners 2009" section.

1st. Hyundai 56,722 ( up 102%)
2nd. Kia 50,637 (62%)
3rd. Alfa Romeo 9,067 (52%)

Note to Myself
"Find something more interesting to do with your time" :)

H

·
0 Posts
cant believe the people of this country have bought 56000 hyundais and 50000 kias what is going on
Dunno about Kia, but my father in law has driven Hyundai's for the last 10 years. He has never had a problem with them, just basic servicing every couple of years.

They're not exciting, they're not fancy. But they do exactly what he asks of them. And there's more to that than people give credit for.

N

·
0 Posts
When you're offered a car package that basically include everything but
tyres for €10,000 over 5 years what else do most people need out
of their transport to work and the shops?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think it is well known on here that Alfa's sales have increased this year, which is good but what about their profits? I wouldn't have thought they are making a huge amount on each veichle sold.

But whatever way you look at it it is good news. Makes you wonder what Marchionne was on about in that interview last month.:confused:

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Robb1100 is correct:sales for 2008 were only 6000 but we were in good company....next lowest was Porsche !! :lol:

·
Registered
735 Posts
But have in mind that Alfa in general makes apr. 100.000 cars a year. Increase only in UK by 3k is 3 % up for the entire company. Thats 3 % more income in general. Not so bad.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The increase in sales is due entirely to the Mito. Alfa sales are still pathetic, really. If anyone wants a cheap Brera, now is a good time to negotiate with dealers; they're desperate to shift old stock before the new engine range arrives. And they can hardly give away the last of the 147's.
As for Alfa's profitability, it's well known that they continue to lose money for Fiat. Bear in mind also that they need to sell around 20 000 RHD cars to recover the additional tooling costs. I wonder for how much longer Fiat are going to subsidise the RHD market?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Three years ago we hired a car in Oakville Ontario & drove up to Quebec via Toronto,Ottawa & Montreal. We drove back on a slightly different route, & the trip lasted 7 days. We did not see a single Alfa Romeo. I asked our cousin in Oakville why this was & he said " Oh yes, I know the make and like them, but you don't see any in Canada"
If Alfa are producing 100,000 cars per year, then most of them must be staying in Europe!

A

·
0 Posts
Dunno about Kia, but my father in law has driven Hyundai's for the last 10 years. He has never had a problem with them, just basic servicing every couple of years.

They're not exciting, they're not fancy. But they do exactly what he asks of them. And there's more to that than people give credit for.
Hyundai and Kia are the same company. They fit in where Ford and Vauxhall used to, i.e cheap and cheerful cars that do a job. They've also stolen a few sales from the Japanese.
The problem with Alfa at the moment is that nobody knows what they are for. They don't make any outstanding drivers cars, they don't make anything seriously quick. They don't advertise properly and the dealer network is a joke.

I'm amazed they've lasted as long as they have! The Mito is a step in the right direction though - a competent and stylish small car that promises to sell well. If the next 147/Giulietta does well (i.e sells a similar volume to the Ibiza) it's a building block from which to kick start Alfa again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its the design, distinctivness and heritage that keeps Alfa above the surface, IMO. We all close our eyes to some things, just because of the way they look and feel.

Good point on the MiTo - really furious little thing that looks good.

I am really happy with 147s handling, for instance - its really nippy and feels a lot way better than most hatchbacks out there. But, any time I look at BMW 1 Series, I cant help myself thinking what it would be like if Alfa made 147 RWD? I wouldnt just be beautiful, it would be a real drivers car. I think I am on the right track what Alfa lacks.

Not to mention the 159 being RWD, or Brera....

About seriously quick, I remember that at some point there was a 156 GTAm version as a prototype, that was supposed to have a bored to 3.5 Busso with 300 bhp and a limited slip diff. Maybe it woudnt steal M3 market, but it sure would put Alfa side to side with it and give the brand a boost.

http://www.italiaspeed.com/news_2002_135_02.jpg

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can tell you what's going on; Hyundai/Kia have been carefully researching their market the last few years and then building the cars people actually want.
They don't do what Fiat/Alfa do: just sh#t out a car and hope people buy it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I can tell you what's going on; Hyundai/Kia have been carefully researching their market the last few years and then building the cars people actually want.
They don't do what Fiat/Alfa do: just sh#t out a car and hope people buy it.
yeah, but than Alfas would not be much different from Koreans and germans wouldnt they?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Are they so different now, really? Other than the styling?
The point is Alfa needs to be commercially viable, therefore needs to sell cars in reasonable quantities. If you want to sell something, you have to identify your target market, find out what they want and then deliver. Fiat 500 and Mito are good examples af getting it right (ish); 159 is not.
What is Alfa? What does it represent?
Who would be interested in buying one?
And what exactly do they want?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts