Alfa Romeo Forum banner

361 - 365 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Magna concept looks promising - I believe competition is working on similar.
My take is: 48V mild hybrids - which is current definition/status -will only give very limited fuel economy gain, and unsatisfactory e-drive.
Actually 48V mild hybrid may not be the best name. Some suppliers like Continental are calling their upcoming P2 48V as full hybrid.

Maybe P0/BSG 48V tech have already tarnished 48V hybrid reputation.

For example here is data for the 4th gen ZF 8HP:
PHEV up to 160KW at 350V, MHEV up to 34kW at 52V

Just for comparison this is for the 2nd/3rd generation:
Electric motor with a maximum output of up to 40 kilowatt (Mildhybrid: 15 kilowatt) and maximum torque of up to 230 newton meter

So low voltage hybrid will catch full hybrid in few years. Even ZF is skipping full hybrids or let's say high voltage hybrids in the next generation and will offer only mild hybrid (low voltage) and plug in hybrids.

FCA made the order for the 4th generation ZF 8HP.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Interesting. Todays 48V hybrids are far from 34kW. Still - 34 Kw may be OK for some - but not for me. With rear e-drive, there will be a faster response during winterdriving - slightly kicking out rear - until front kicks in and "automatically" counteracts the slide. I.e. if enough torque at rear.
Glad to hear FCA is going for ZF - I was afraid they would go for less expensive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting. Todays 48V hybrids are far from 34kW. Still - 34 Kw may be OK for some - but not for me. With rear e-drive, there will be a faster response during winterdriving - slightly kicking out rear - until front kicks in and "automatically" counteracts the slide. I.e. if enough torque at rear.
Glad to hear FCA is going for ZF - I was afraid they would go for less expensive.
There is no rear e-axle with ZF 8HP PHEV/MHEV. Actually there is no e-axle at all. It's a P2 PHEV which means electric motor is on the input or integral part of transmission. It can propel rear or both front and rear axles depending if car is RWD or have AWD hardware.

For RWD based cars cars FCA is always going with RWD. There is no much different solutions.

I think that you should check and learn different hybrid architectures and what they can do. Like P0, P1, P2, P3, P4.... And combinations.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had to sell my Stelvio QF - bought a much too expensive house. It was to me the perfect car - although a bit large. Now I am holding on to my 9000 Turbo, until a car that I like - and can afford - comes to market. Right now there is none. I liked the thinking of Alfa engineers.
Hopefully high performance version of Tonale will fit the bill - with or without e-AWD

361 - 365 of 365 Posts