Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just joined the club having bought a classic Spider (Series 4 (1991) with a genuine 2000kms on the clock. The tester (today):cry: badly damaged the offside front wheel when he collided with the ramp. It is more than cosmetic as it has gouged the rim.
Can these wheels still be bought or has anyone any idea where to locate a second hand one.

You can image how I feel having looked for this car for years.

Regards
Neil 01743 719030

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
.....having bought a classic Spider (Series 4 (1991) with a genuine 2000kms on the clock
Two thousand kilometers from new?........you sure about that?.....that is hardly run in!

Anyway Hi and welcome to the AO......lots of help for you here in the future upkeep of the Spider.
Love to see a photo:)

you can't obviously get these wheels new anymore, but they do show up on Ebay sometimes, they are called phonedials (to be accurate, they are C30 Phonedials, are sized 6J x 15)

lovely set on italian ebay, but that doesn't help you! (ebay number #141095544977)

cheshire alfa, an ebay seller, also has a set (not as pretty by a long way, and he calls them pepperpot, but they are the right wheels.........maybe ask him if he is willing to sell just one?......you can have it professionally refurbed, repainted, for what...50 quid or so?)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c35d724f3

If Anglospider, a member here, is looking in, he has some good S4 spider parts for sale....he might have a single wheel for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spider S4

Hello, many thanks for the prompt reply I will follow your leads.
Yes the car has never been in the rain and has a genuine 2063 kilometres on the clock. It came with all its accessories. The reason I'm upset is because its been on the Planet for 20 odd years and I entrust it to a garage for one day and they damage it.

Again thanks
Neil

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
we all need to see a photo of your S4, amazing!.........that has to be the lowest mileage spider on the planet.

its funny I came across this post of yours, because just today I was cleaning my phonedials (I have 9 of them, because I run winter tyres on the second set......Germany and winter driving rules!!)...decided to clean them inside and out.......took ages, but they came up like new..even waxed the inside of the little beggars!:)

Regards,
Dom

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dom, yes I will take some pics (is there a facility top post them on this site if so how do I do it).
You don't (by any chance have a wheel to sell ?

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Hi Neil, to post photos:

in the reply box, click on "Go Advanced" button at the bottom, then in the top left of the advance window you see the "paperclip" symbol.......click on this....that opens another window to search for photos or files on your computor, select something, then "upload" and once it has uploaded (wait for the file name to appear) , then click "close this window"......you can then "preview" before submitting reply, to make sure they are there.

Sorry, I don't have a spare to sell, they're all shod with tyres for winter and summer for my own car (plus the spare in the boot)

Dom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Alfamosaics, thank you and that's very kind of you. I have located some in Cheshire and I'm going to see them on Saturday. If they are too distressed I would be most grateful if I could come back to you. FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE BUT HOW DO I GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU ON THIS SITE.
Regards
Neil

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
As Dom mentions, I do have a few bits and pieces including three spare wheels. They are at my brothers near Worcester at the moment so that may not be too far for you. You would be very welcome to one.

They are not pristine but are serviceable.

By the way, Dom, cleaning the inside of the wheel rims? Really? You need to get out more:lol: they do look great though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi ANGLOSPIDER, thank you also for the kind offer. I will also bear you in mind if I don't have any luck tomorrow. Yes Worcester isn't too far.

I HAVE LOADED SOME PICTURES I HOPE THEY PUBLISH OK. YOU CAN SEE THE THE UNDERNEATH AND THE ENGINE BAY IS COATED WITH A PRESERVATIVE (WAXOIL I THINK)

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Lovely spider, far nicer condition than mine.

Am I missing something about the wheel though? I'd be getting the clumsy sods in the garage source a new wheel, and a free service for the hassle too!:confused:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Hi ANGLOSPIDER, thank you also for the kind offer. I will also bear you in mind if I don't have any luck tomorrow. Yes Worcester isn't too far.

I HAVE LOADED SOME PICTURES I HOPE THEY PUBLISH OK. YOU CAN SEE THE THE UNDERNEATH AND THE ENGINE BAY IS COATED WITH A PRESERVATIVE (WAXOIL I THINK)

Neil
That is absolutely superb!
tbh I was expecting a rougher looking car, just with low mileage....but obviously someone has molly-coddled that baby!

If I can be picky in two small minor aspects?......:)
1. when you next get the wheels balanced, get them to place the balance weights on the inside (see my wheel photo above, with stick on and clip on types).......far more modern method, makes the wheels look cleaner, and does not chinker the paint finish every time the weights are removed with every new balance!
2. you are missing the "alfa romeo" script badge on the right hand rear section.

otherwise certainly the nicest unrestored spider I have seen anywhere....period!
I see it has dutch registration, the dutch have generally fabulous alfas.....from what I have seen over the decades of alfa ownership.

here is mine, over 100k miles but runs just sweet and it still returns about 7 litres per 100 kms.....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Lovely - I agree ref getting the clumsy garage to pay!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all, thank you for your kind remarks and helpful advice. Following Spiderserie4 'leads' I now have a wheel from Cheshire Alfa (who advertised on Ebay) and it will now go off for cosmetic restoration. Both badges are on the car (just bad photography on my part) and thanks again to Spiderserie4 for the wheel balance weight tip.
To all those who offered wheels again thanks and no doubt I will be back for more advice.
For information the car was originally sold in Holland and bought by a Dutch estate agent who had about 40 cars in a collection, and this Alfa was 'laid down' like a bottle of port for the past 20 years. Unfortunately the economic downturn in the housing market necessitated him selling some (or all) of his collection and I became aware of it being for sale.

Again thanks everyone.
Neil

·
Registered
439 Posts
That looks like a fantastic find! You must get to one of the Alfa gatherings next summer so we can all have a closer look! :)

By the way, they look like original tyres. If so, it would be a good idea to change them regardless of tread remaining as there have been too many incidents of blow-outs on 20 year old tyres. Mine was on originals until 5 years ago....

·
Registered
439 Posts
By the way, Dom, cleaning the inside of the wheel rims? Really? You need to get out more:lol: they do look great though.
Ha, I'm with Dom, :thumbs: I must admit to having cleaned the inside of mine one time when they were all off! ;)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Ha, I'm with Dom, I must admit to having cleaned the inside of mine one time when they were all off!
OMG (as my kids would say ), you've let me down Tom! I'm in a minority of dirty inside wheel owners:eek: I will be the red faced one hanging my head in shame at the next AROC meet!

Back to the thread, that really is an amazing find Neil, well done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts