Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Pull the relevant fuse but you'd lose eQ2. Also MiTo failed a sefety recent test with it set to D.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
That's probably what you would hope for in a sporty hatch with ESP set to it's most sporty setting isn't it.
No doubt a Pug 205 gti would fail that test too.,
To drive a fwd quickly you absolutely must be able to start the rear moving..

Of course the programmed robot doesn't know how to counter-steer, and unsuprisingly doesn't notice the car is heading in the wrong direction.

I suppose it could be an issue in the MiTo in that everybody probably drives in D since N is practically unusable due to the slow throttle response.

Pull the relevant fuse but you'd lose eQ2. Also MiTo failed a sefety recent test with it set to D.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
mongoose, esp isnt traction control

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that you can turn it off in a Grande punto Abarth :rolleyes: so why not in the MiTo:cry: Thats just a track day killer, not in a good way!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i thought it was the all round stability control, including traction control and ABS and q2
yes but if you have switchable traction control, that comes under ASR or TC etc as a seperate button, like my 156 for instance, has esp, and asr seperate, along with other things, but isnt everything in the mito controlled with the dna switch? if so that sucks:banghead:

and DK, the puntos dont have the dna switch, so they would have a ASR button to turn the traction control off:thumbs:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I suppose it could be an issue in the MiTo in that everybody probably drives in D since N is practically unusable due to the slow throttle response.
Why do most people think that the MiTo is 'practically unusable ' in 'N' ???

I admit that I don't drive mine any great distance regularly, but I do admit that for a general drive I much prefer 'N' to 'D'.

I had it in 'D' last night on ordinary b road's and it's far too much of an animal to handle in a built up area. Mind you there was other traffic about, proberbly would have been better if the roads were quieter.

Different matter on the motorway, 'D' is better suited to the fast traffic IMHO.

In 'N' my MiTo 155 is a great little performer. Maybe does take some getting going, but I find it better than screaming off the lights like a bat out of harrogate.

The DNA switch is one of the better 'gadgety' things on the MiTo.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
For what it's worth AlfaMitoNick, I agree with you. But I would say that 'N' works a lot better if you're running your Mito on Super Unleaded (97 ron), I recently discovered this and didn't realise what I was missing. It completely clears up the problem of 'getting going'. I tend not to use 'D' around town or in heavy traffic any more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think its a great ide wiht the DNA function, but not if you are going to the tracks, not that the ASR OR the ESP is set to agrasiv, but still i would prefer if you could turn it off, especially when you have 185hp 315 nm waiting to get dowm on the asphalt :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
For what it's worth AlfaMitoNick, I agree with you. But I would say that 'N' works a lot better if you're running your Mito on Super Unleaded (97 ron), I recently discovered this and didn't realise what I was missing. It completely clears up the problem of 'getting going'. I tend not to use 'D' around town or in heavy traffic any more.
Always have run it with 97 or 99 ron (if I can get 99 that is).

Don't get my comment wrong, I'm favour 'N' more than 'D'

·
Registered
848 Posts
"N" is the normal, sane, town driving mode. "D" is the devilish, pants-on-fire, full-throttle mode :)

I used to drive in D all the time but the heavy steering and sensitive throttle response made it hard to drive the car in slow town traffic. Now I only use it for fast motorway drives and on twisty roads. I recently tried "D" on a wet track and it was an absolute blast, hit the throttle coming out of a corner and the tail would start wagging before a little opposite lock brought it back in. In the dry in "D", the e-Q2, VDC and ASR functions helped to reduce understeer and wheelspin on full power. "N" and "A" were safe, well controlled and completely boring on track but they make more sense on normal roads.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
N in a Cloverleaf was tedious. I could walk away from the line quicker. All the reviews seem to agree with me too.

On the 159 series cars you can disable ASR & VDC. Makes my Brera Q4 a different animal but still very sure footed.

At TB, for the track I agree that it'd be good to make the MiTo native as long as eQ2 remains active. On the road I'd say the relaxed safety net is a good thing:)

G

·
N in a Cloverleaf was tedious. I could walk away from the line quicker. All the reviews seem to agree with me too.

On the 159 series cars you can disable ASR & VDC. Makes my Brera Q4 a different animal but still very sure footed.

At TB, for the track I agree that it'd be good to make the MiTo native as long as eQ2 remains active. On the road I'd say the relaxed safety net is a good thing:)
I think people are getting mixed up.

For Q2 to be on, the car has to be in D. As i understand it, in D there is less intrusion from the stablity control AND traction control. As the website says for dynamic:

"Vehicle Dynamic Control and Anti Slip Regulations systems: Less intrusive VDC and ASR. Electronic Q2 Activation."

So thats the closest you can get to turning it off.

As for Normal mode.....one the 120 it really makes no difference in terms of engine performace, but on the 155 (and 170 and 135 i presume) the throttle pedal feels really lethargic and unresponsive. If you get the faster engines....why would you want your car to feel lethargic, surely you want it to be sporty...makes N on these engines seem like a waste of time to me.:confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
As for Normal mode.....one the 120 it really makes no difference in terms of engine performace, but on the 155 (and 170 and 135 i presume) the throttle pedal feels really lethargic and unresponsive. If you get the faster engines....why would you want your car to feel lethargic, surely you want it to be sporty...makes N on these engines seem like a waste of time to me.:confused:
There are times for driving sensibly and times for blasting down the road like your tails on fire.

I don't think the pedal feels really lethargic and unresponsive all of the time in 'N', just when getting the car going sometimes.

What I like about the MiTo is that going to work in the busier traffic I can leave it in Normal and potter along with the flow.
Coming home where the traffic is more free flowing, Dynamic is sometimes more appropriate.

'N' is for the sensible times when your family is in the car with you, 'D' is for the times you're alone, on a nice quiet road and feel like having some fun.

I would much rather have the 'DNA' switch than be permanantly in 'D' and I might not have bought the car.

A good car should suit you're mood, not govern it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts