Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
"errr xj220?? thats a v6 hypercar"

That`d be the 4wd v12 that ended up as a 2wd v6 and the car most of the original punters asked for their deposits back on when they saw the drop in spec!!!

T`was more like hypercon I`m afraid mate,
PJ
but the fact is it was produced with a v6, what the prototype was means fook all, they were told in good time the v12 wouldnt make emmisions laws, and the punters had the chance to back out if they wanted. the car was released in the wrong place at the wrong time. not the cars fault.

it wasnt just the xj220, the bottom fell out of the whole supercar market, thanks to recession:(

but its still a V6 that can do 217mph, and out accelerate a Zonda C12S:D

you said a v6 doesnt make a supercar, well this is one;)

then there is the Venturi 300 Atlantique and 400GT, both V6's. there are quite a few v6 supercars, the amount of cylinders means nothing;)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
i meant acceleration wise!! its one of the late ones so may be its faster than original ones,dont know but ill test it out!we have had over 150 on a track before though.... plus im 26 so i havent the experience of driving faster cars like some of you guys!!
They're decently quick for sure, especially S2, but not very very fast. If you drove an NSX (for example) straight after you'd be shocked!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
A supercar should be three things.
Fast. Impractical. Pointless.
Anything else is just isn't a supercar.

Examples of the above. A Veyron. A Zonda. A Diablo. An F40. Not something you can get the shopping with.
If that be true, then my GTV be a supercar! ;)
Tell me it's not fast!
Tell me it's practical!
Tell me there was actually a point in me buying one!:lol:

No. My boot is where the rear seats should be. My glove compartment is where my boot should be, and i unlock my boot where the glove compartment should be!:cheese:

So the verdict is out, we're all driving supercars!:cool:

More seriously though: A supercar has to fall within an ever shifting performance range. Unlucky for us, 250km/h and 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds is not within that range. The BMW M3 is not clessified as a supercar, and it's faster than ours.:wow: (yes it is guys,:cry:)

A supercar has to either make use of the latest technology available, or perfect the classic technology, to achieve it's ultimate goal of being a supercar. Two opposite points are perhaps the technology filled Ferraris, and the fairly basic Nobles. The Noble hardly uses any technology to acheive phenominal levels of grip and traction where the Ferraris use every trick in the book (of course you could turn it all off!)

A supercar just has to be something good to look at. Even Paganis and Ascari's and the like, are beautiful in their own way. The engineering, the execution, the splitters and wings and brakes and intakes and lights...

BUT: Where the GTV 3.0 does win points is that when it was designed and first produced, it was the cutting edge of technology: The bonnet was the single largest piece of composite material ever produced for a production car. The rear suspension was out of this world, the car was beautiful beyond beleif, the performance was very good for a mere 220hp and the engine sounded fantastic from day 1!:thumbs:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i think everyone has been a bit sidetracked by speed. ok the gtv is not great 0-60 but it is a 160mph car bearing in mind the 1st v6 came out in 95 96??? yes its not quite as good looking as a ferrari 355 nor quite as fast, desirable etc but brand new comparing it to the 355 it was a third of its price, 1.5 secs slower 0-60 and around 20mph slower top speed.

it is not a supercar we all know that more to my point is what can u get for ur money thats as good looking, great interior, sounds as good and goes as quick for ur money?

perhaps thats a stupid question on a gtv forum because thats probably why we all drive one! :rolleyes: :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
Supercar status is only bestowed upon a car once a minimum number of 8-12 year old boys put up posters of it on their bedroom wall.

It must also appear in at least one Supercar calender in WH Smiths.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
it is not a supercar we all know that more to my point is what can u get for ur money thats as good looking, great interior, sounds as good and goes as quick for ur money?
Nothing I reckon. I will hereby admit I got my GTV not because I desperately wanted it, but there was no other 6 cylinder coupe/sports car under £10k (we're talking back in June 2004) that fitted the bill of being desirable, cool and good looking. I kind of got it by default. I was also considering a 1.8t Audi A3 (decided I didn't want a turbo engine style of delivery) and a Jag XK8 (bit pricey back then). Fast forward 5 years and there's still nothing of equal value I could swap it for.

Sort of begs the question: what do you trade up to after a V6 GTV? It's hard to find something with the sound, power and looks that's 'only' two, three or four times the value of a GTV...

I don't know if there is an obvious upgrade choice. I've known people to go from a V6 GTV to an M3, Elise, Maserati 3200 and 4200, 147GTA, XK8... I used to think a 350z would do it for me, then a 3200, but I do secretly desire a 3.2 Cayman...

Sorry Greg, I've gone a bit off topic! :p

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
yeh my bad. should have really been 'alfa romeo gtv v6... wannabe supercar?'

one of my mates who still for some reason thinks alfa's r rubbish little rust buckets that always brake down told me to sell my car when i got offered 4k for it... i then asked him ok what do i get instead that goes as fast, sounds as good, and has as beautiful interior and exterior for a similar price... he couldnt answer that :D

D

·
0 Posts

one of my mates who still for some reason thinks alfa's r rubbish little rust buckets that always brake down told me to sell my car when i got offered 4k for it... i then asked him ok what do i get instead that goes as fast, sounds as good, and has as beautiful interior and exterior for a similar price... he couldnt answer that :D
Hmm, usually people like that will answer with "Anything, Alfa's is rubbish init!" :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

everytime my mum goes to see her mum, her brother is there, and keeps asking her, "you still got that tin can?"

he has a rover 75!:confused::lol::cheese:

D

·
0 Posts
Argh, the GTV V6 is NOT a Supercar! Nor are either of the GTA's, and they have more power!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely agree this is closest you can get to a supercar sub 10K with any hope of 'reliability'. The porche 944 turbo might be an alternative but a bit 'safe'. The GTV is one of very few cars that has needed hardly any styling tweaks throughout its production run and still makes people take a second look when its 10 years old.

D

·
0 Posts
No. No. No. Is the TVR Chimaera a supercar? If not then nor is the GTV, because the TVR is closer to supercar status than the GTV. TVR are about as reliable as Alfa anyways, especially the ones with the Rover V8.

The Chimaera has a 4 Litre V8 with 240BHP and it weighs about a tonne. 0-60 is something like 5 seconds and it does some 160MPH, that's more of a supercar.

Oh, and you can get one for about £5K.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The TVR Chimaera came in various guises, the 4.0 240bhp model being the weakest. The most potent having around 320bhp (from a 5.0 V8) and hitting 60mph closer to 4 seconds. I don't think any were seen as a supercar though, it was sold as a 'cheap' TVR.

The GTV 3.0 is what it is: an elegant piece of Italian design with that gorgeous V6 engine. Supercar? No.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No. No. No. Is the TVR Chimaera a supercar? If not then nor is the GTV, because the TVR is closer to supercar status than the GTV. TVR are about as reliable as Alfa anyways, especially the ones with the Rover V8.

The Chimaera has a 4 Litre V8 with 240BHP and it weighs about a tonne. 0-60 is something like 5 seconds and it does some 160MPH, that's more of a supercar.

Oh, and you can get one for about £5K.

Sorry to 'brown nose' it , Darren, But I agree with every word you've said on this thread.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The gtv looks fine, sounds amazing but way underpowered.

come on.. a rover 220 Turbo would keep up with a gtv ffs lol

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't say the GTV V6 is underpowered, unless of course you compare it to a much faster car. It's like saying the 156 V6 is underpowered compared to a Supra Twin Turbo.

Plus, the Rover 220 Turbo is a fast car...? It's not like saying, 'The GTV is underpowered, my grans old 1.2 Skoda can keep up with it!', because it can't.

Youve basically said that the 3 Litre V6 is underpowered because a 2 Litre Turbo can keep up with it. Well, yeah, of course it can, it has similar power, same goes for the Fiat Coupe 20 V Turbo, which I've had, that was about as quick but the power delivery was different and I didn't like the turbo lag.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts