Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The Boxster replaced the 968 which was itself a 944 replacement. I think the GTV was released about the same year as the Boxster so well after the 944 was discontinued? The GTV is not any quicker than the 968 and as you say that is not a supercar ( I have one and I definitely wouldn't call it a supercar anymore than the GTV V6 is)

H

·
0 Posts
Its not a Supercar because it just isnt quick enough but its so o o o much fun to drive and more driveable for the average punter than a supercar! And got plenty of style and the interiors take some beating! Particularly red leather!:) Its in a different league to the new lambo's interior wise and all porsches!!! The lambo's look like audi's inside and bore me stiff!!! Id rather have my GTV and 95k in the bank!:thumbs:

·
Registered
535 Posts
with a little bit of tweaking you can get supercar performance from a V6 :)

When I took my cup to france on the euro tunnel the car behind me was one of these. I did know at the time if it was just some blinged up thing. must be pretty rare.

yum. rather have this than a 911 anyday.

Google Image Result for http://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp2008/autodelta_spider_superflow_2.jpg

(wasnt the same car as it didnt have that spoiler, but virtually identical same rear lights and phase3 front)

·
Registered
71 Posts
What everyone is missing here is cost. A supercar must cost at least 10x what an ordinary person can afford! At the moment a car that costs less than 100kGBP or so is not a supercar.
It's a label to reflect that it's not available to ordinary people and means very little.

J

·
0 Posts
i agree with glougal,its mainly down to cost and excusivity put together,you can have supercars that dont perform well but cost loads and are exclusive...hence the supercar tag...And hence why the boxster,944,etc arent classed as supercars...I bet if they where 100k they would be.....Also,do people really see the 911 as a supercar?i meant you can easilly get them for 15k now,and a new-ish model too,and thats mondeo money!!....Or have i just contradicted myself?!!!

Anyway,the reasons why i think its not a super car are mainly that it is accesible to everyone,also styling wise,yes its beautifull but its not in supercar territory either,(please dont shoot me yet!!) i loove the looks and think its the prettiest car,but it would need a longer stance,longer bonnet,lower...etc... to be a supercar....My dad has a 944 cabrio,that feels more like a supercar than the gtv...never driven a V6 but the 944 is very very fast...

J

·
0 Posts
the 944 is very very fast...
No, really it isn't[/QUOTE]

i meant acceleration wise!! its one of the late ones so may be its faster than original ones,dont know but ill test it out!we have had over 150 on a track before though.... plus im 26 so i havent the experience of driving faster cars like some of you guys!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A supercar should be three things.
Fast. Impractical. Pointless.
Anything else is just isn't a supercar.

Examples of the above. A Veyron. A Zonda. A Diablo. An F40. Not something you can get the shopping with.

H

·
0 Posts

Examples of the above. A Veyron. A Zonda. A Diablo. An F40. Not something you can get the shopping with.
They are Hypercars not supercars,supercars are 360's, 430's, 911's, r8's etc.....

J

·
0 Posts
So did i get confused with the hypercar terminology then? could the gtv really be a supercar?!! when someone says supercar i would naturally think of db9,,f430,veyron..zonda...etc.... are these hypercars then??
just spotted that top gear have a list of top supercars and they include the ones iv jsut mentioned.....not hypercars...

D

·
0 Posts

I wouldn't say that in order to be a supercar though you've got to cost in excess of £100K. I mean, as said before, many TVR's clock speeds rivaling Ferrari, so I'd consider alot of TVR's supercars.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
So did i get confused with the hypercar terminology then? could the gtv really be a supercar?!! when someone says supercar i would naturally think of db9,,f430,veyron..zonda...etc.... are these hypercars then??
just spotted that top gear have a list of top supercars and they include the ones iv jsut mentioned.....not hypercars...
200mph+ is hypercar:thumbs:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would love to own a supercar one day, but realistically its not going to happen. i honestly believe a good condition gtv v6 is about as close as u can get to a supercar on a budget (except maybe a mazzer)... its italian, its a coupe, its stunning, its loud, it sounds great and it goes like stink. however what makes it closer to a supercar than all of that is that it it will probably explode in ur face at some point, its hopelessly impractical and it'll bleed u dry but u dont care because u absolutely love it!

Anyone else feel like this or got any other suggetions of a budget supercar?
my two pence worth, a super car should be one that is, well super for what it was intended to do, for my money, a budget super car, the v6 gtv would fit the bill, but my opinion, a biased one, the delta integrales fit the bill, in their day, they could hunt down much quicker cars and a well sorted one today is still a handy tool, and they have legendary status. not that quick as in top speed, but in the real world, plenty quick enough, so for my biased opinion the delta. would you class an old ferrari as a super car, when in reality a modern gti is quicker, so i dont think its all about speed, but the overasll package -
as a side note, can japanese cars claim supedrcar status?? is this for european cars only??

J

·
0 Posts
hmmm good point!! i dont think japanese cars can be supercars...i really love the 350z but its still not up there! supercars have to be flamboiant and japanese cars never are. they dont really have the passion and pedrigree the european ones have...Exotica i guess is the word im looking for!!

D

·
0 Posts
To be honest I don't think you can beat the GTV V6 in looks, performance, and noise if you are on a budget. £2500 will get you a semi decent GTV V6 model, and you can then do 0-60's in 6 seconds or thereabouts and crack out 155MPH. Job done! :thumbs: :lol:

What can beat it in performance for similar money? Hmm, say a BMW 540i Manual. BUT, that isn't as stylish.

What can beat it in looks for similar money? Hmm, not alot....

What can beat it in noise for similar money? Hmm, maybe a 156 V6 with mods? But yet again, it still may not be as quick, :lol:

Really, the GTV V6 ticks alot of boxes if you are on a budget but want to have a car that kicks out some serious grunt.

Sure, Honda Civic Type R's are about as quick. But I don't trust those Vetec engines, :lol: And the Type R has about as much style as my nan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Missing rear wheel drive to be a supercar !
You may get your wish, I'd say the next GTV (Brera replacement) will be a. RWD and b. Bigger, and uglier, and drive like crap. The reason: Alfa is teaming up with Chrysler to build its cars somewhere in North America (Canada I think), based on an existing Dodge platform. It will retain bespoke engines and probably suspension, but new GTVs/Breras (whatever they'll call them) will basically be sharing this platform with Chrysler and being built very very far awy from Italy. This is one of the cost cutting 'advantages' of Fiat taking Chrysler.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is V6 a supercar?....... NO, And just to open things up a bit I dont think the 8C is either.

Both bloody desirable though!
PJ

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Is V6 a supercar?....... NO, And just to open things up a bit I dont think the 8C is either.

Both bloody desirable though!
PJ
errr xj220?? thats a v6 hypercar:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
"errr xj220?? thats a v6 hypercar"

That`d be the 4wd v12 that ended up as a 2wd v6 and the car most of the original punters asked for their deposits back on when they saw the drop in spec!!!

T`was more like hypercon I`m afraid mate,
PJ

21 - 40 of 82 Posts