Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to own a supercar one day, but realistically its not going to happen. i honestly believe a good condition gtv v6 is about as close as u can get to a supercar on a budget (except maybe a mazzer)... its italian, its a coupe, its stunning, its loud, it sounds great and it goes like stink. however what makes it closer to a supercar than all of that is that it it will probably explode in ur face at some point, its hopelessly impractical and it'll bleed u dry but u dont care because u absolutely love it!

Anyone else feel like this or got any other suggetions of a budget supercar?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

Well, I used to have a Porsche 911 but wanted to spend (a lot) less money, but get something in the same spirit, and I think the GTV fits the bill, esp the 3.0L Mine is a TS though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Angus, I've seen a few Maserati 3200 GT's recently for GBP10,000. Now that is a supercar, and very cheap. My definition of a supercar is anything that can keep up with a Porsche 911. The 3200GT will do 0 -62 in around 5.1 seconds. I plan to buy a manual .... :cry:...... one day....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol no worries gdaf i would love a maserati but iv heard the running costs are about 3 times what the gtv v6 costs! :wow:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Much as I love my 3.0 GTV, It really isn't a supercar. Nowhere near fast enough. But bang for bucks, & looks, it takes some beating.

·
Registered
38,440 Posts
It is a super car, but it isn't a supercar

It isn't fast enough and it is front wheel drive, although it has the looks, the heritage and the sound. :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think the GTV V6 is a supercar.

It can do 150mph+, clocks in 60 quick enough for most and most importantly looks and sounds the part.

You'd get a lot of people calling a classic porsche such as a 928 or 944 a super car but the GTV would probably be quicker than most such cars from the time.

People forget it has been about 12 years since the first V6 came out and then it was seriously quick.

The Honda NSX (Mk 1) wasn't much quicker 0-60 5.9, F-Matic 7.2 and is still a 'SuperCar' to most people.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

It can do 150mph+, clocks in 60 quick enough for most and most importantly looks and sounds the part.

You'd get a lot of people calling a classic porsche such as a 928 or 944 a super car but the GTV would probably be quicker than most such cars from the time.

People forget it has been about 12 years since the first V6 came out and then it was seriously quick.

The Honda NSX (Mk 1) wasn't much quicker 0-60 5.9, F-Matic 7.2 and is still a 'SuperCar' to most people.
What you are forgetting here is that you are companing cars from different periods of time. The 944s and 928s were at the very end of their run (if not already gone) and they were not supercars, the 911 was/is. which has always been faster than the GTV V6. You can't compare a Boxster which is like a 944/928 nowadays cos thats not a supercar either.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Basically in some peoples eyes the thing the GTV lacks is raw pace, but 0-60 in a sniff over 6S and 150mph+ ain't too bad. The looks and sounds/emotions are 100% there.

You get something like the Supra TT on the other hand which has the pace, but loses out on looks and style.

In my opinion, a super car is a balance, not just about speed. The looks, sounds, emotions and speed combined is what counts.

In my eyes (which won't be anyone else) a Supercar must have a balance of features, the GTV fulfills them. Baring in mind the performance, I could at least call it a 'mini-super car', how about that.

If you just want speed and nothing else, you get Civics and Uno Turbos which can do the 1/4 mile quicker than a current 997 Turbo, is that a super car just because it is blazingly quick - I think not some how.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
For the money the GTV gives great performance in V6 guise, and the threat of a £1k-£3k bill being just around the corner helps it feel like a supercar ;)

It was never labelled a supercar when it first came out, whereas as the NSX, Supra and 300ZX were, due to their figures being as good as or as close as possible to proper supercars such as 911s, 355s etc. Maybe their lower, longer looks also help put them in such a category?

As for Maserati 3200s at £10k, I asked Adrian at AlfaAid about these, and he said they are fantastic cars, dangerous, and they can have annual bills of £10k... There endeth my interest in the 3200!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Lancia Delta integrale, in metallic blue please. The one featured in Auto Italia a few months ago had me drooling and seriously considering if I could justify spending 10k plus on an old Lancia.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A Supercar, even when the GTV 3.0 came out, needs to do 175mph+, 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. The pace of the GTV, quick yes, just isn't up there.

D

·
0 Posts
Much as I love my 3.0 GTV, It really isn't a supercar. Nowhere near fast enough. But bang for bucks, & looks, it takes some beating.
I agree, and nice colour GTV btw, :D

The GTV although quick, is still slower than a Supra Twin Turbo, Subaru Impreza Turbo, and various other Japanese cars that will out run and out handle it. The S2000 is another.

None of these are supercars either. In my opniino a Supercar MUST be able to do 170MPH+ and clock sub 5 second 0-60's and sub 10 second 0-100MPH's, :D

The TVR Cerbera 4.2 V8 can be picked up for under £10,000 and if memory serves correct it matches all of the above requirements, :thumbs:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Missing rear wheel drive to be a supercar !

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

You'd get a lot of people calling a classic porsche such as a 928 or 944 a super car but the GTV would probably be quicker than most such cars from the time..
The 944 was never seen as a supercar. I expect a 928 or 944 turbo would be quicker than a GTV.

Half a second quicker to 60 is a lot; and the gap will get wider as the speed increases.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts