Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
do somebody have an opinion on a problem I had last week.
During normal driving conditions the EOBD control lamp started blinking.
Manual says: Continiue at lesser speed until lamp stops blinking (=starts constant light) to garage.
Did so - 20 km, except lamp did not stop blinking.
My mechanic saw immediately that cord for one ignition plug-cap (sorry, don't know if this is the right word - I'm from Denmark you see..) had not been mounted/fixed properly, and had simply fallen off. Put it back on, drove out after 5 minutes.

Now, the question is: Can I have damaged anything?
I have a 6 months full guarantee at the garage who created the cap-problem.
The engine/exhaust smelled as if it was rather hot.
I think motor-oil was quite clear until the incident - first day after it was definitely much darker, though it's not black, it's darker. I don't know if the plug-cap and this thing has anything to do with each other.
Is there things I have to have extra focus on until I go to the garage next time?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does the car feel and drive OK now?
You won't have damaged anything by driving on 3 cyl if you haven't been pushing the car very hard and for very long. Usually you just get less power of course.

Was your oil changed recently? It is supposed to get dark. Dark oil means that it is doing its job, cleaning the engine.

If you are not entirely satisfied and can't sleep ask the garage to at least check that the coils and their plugs are good.

Don't worry too much and happy driving.

PS. Check your oil every 500 km / week / before a long trip cause this engine can be thirsty. And never use any other oil than 10W-60.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot for an opinion from somebody more into motors than me.

my engine is almost new - driven 15000 km because the owner before me didn't have enough attention on the oil-level. He sold it to the mechanic who was repairing it, the mechanic changed the whole engine, drove 15000 km and sold it to me.

I didn't push the engine at all on the way to the garage, clearly noticed the loss of power. Don't think I damaged anything.

I'll take your advice on the oil - and thanks again. PS Slept well again this night

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If it was missfiring rather than not firing at all there is a possibility that its run lean on that cylinder and got rather hot. I have no idea why they run lean with a missfire but they do! I wouldn't imagine 20km would have caused much of a problem though. The other potential issue is unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust and contaminating the CAT. Thats only an issue if your version of the MOT test checks the emission levels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was kind of what I was concerned about. Yesterday I took it to the garage and had them measure exhaust levels/values. EOBD says OK, Bosch garage says values are OK.
Bought the car 4 weeks ago, first thing I got somebody to give it an anti-corrosion treatment - important in our climate in DK.
The car definately smelled hot, maybe the anti-corrosion stuff made it seem worse than it really was. It's probably just me being hysterical, but I really like that car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for all you kind guys taking the time to answer on this I will share the result.
The weeks after the incident I kept getting failures from the EOBD-system. It seems the lambda-thing before the cat has been damaged.
Is getting it repaired by changing it right now - finding the error, getting the lambda, installing it is going to take 8 days in the garage...... Ridiculous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts