Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am seeking some advice. I am in the market to purchase a Alfa Romeo GT after owning a 146 junior for the past 5 years. Great car, but I am seeking an 'Upgrade'.

Should I be worried about a diesel engine with 93,000 miles and service history? I have heard Diesels can last a good 150,000 miles but I am still slightly concerned. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
if serviced well and with the cambelt done diesels will go on for a fair old amount of miles.

The price you pay should reflect the miles and if you own it for 5 years (as you have with your 146) and do 10k a year then you will be around the 150k mark by then and maybe need to think about what its worth, if indeed that bothers you at all.

I have a 55 plate one that will be on 70k by the end of the week and I never give it a second thought.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Hi,

I have heard Diesels can last a good 150,000 miles but I am still slightly concerned.

Cheers
More like 300,000+ if maintained correctly. I ve had 5 Fiat/Alfa diesels, 2 with 100,000 on them and one with 130,000. Havent been worried about any of them. Got my current 147 with 96,000 on it mid March (full history), had no probs (other than wear n tear items). Its got 105,000 on it now, runs great. Worries about high mileages are normally started by manufactureres so people buy more cars, but in reality even petrols can go on and on if theyre looked after

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I've had mine since new and now done 105,000 and the engine feels as fresh as a daisy. As long as it's regularly serviced the engine should be good for 300,000 miles. One word of caution mine got expensive around 84,000 miles - wheel bearings, clutch, flywheel, MAF, EGR, wishbones (upper & lower), drop links, handbrake cable, lower boost pipe. That said it's cost me nothing since and just sailed through it's MOT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with these guys - i have an 05 model with 80k on the clock and the engine is beautiful. I'd recommend paying attention to suspension and steering though - i've had a new steering rack and rods in the last 10k miles. Listen out for any squeeks or groans at the front of the car when driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Cheers for the advice guys, thats my mind at ease. I have my eye on a 2005 GT with (what is advertised) as Full Alfa Service history, so I may be taking a look. Should this Alfa come complete with 2 red keys as well as the masterkey? Thanks again for the feedback guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts