Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I hope you're enjoying the quarantine. I've had the dreaded knock-knock-knock on my left side (driver side LHD card) for a while now and I decided to visit the wreckers looking for a new door check.

The current door check I have has a plastic piece on top of the metal, like this:

I found a 2005 GT JTS with the following older model (all metal) looking stopper.

Being dirt cheap I took the stopper from the right side of the vehicle (although I need te left one) as the mechanic at the wreckers mentioned they're the same...

Now, I did some research online and I can see the following difference:

The first picture is the left stopper and the second picture is the right stopper. I can see that the last part, where the bolt goes in is inverted.

My questions are:

Will the old all metal model fit just fine?
Will I have an issue using the right stopper on the left side?

Have anyone done this before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
From my experience with rear doors on a 147- you cannot swap left\right check straps.
Probably be the same on a gt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From my experience with rear doors on a 147- you cannot swap left\right check straps.
Probably be the same on a gt.
Have replaced both my GT check straps and I'm 99.99% certain that they are NOT interchangeable, they have separate part numbers IIRC. Would normally suggest checking with Partsworld but their site and business is currently closed because of Covid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, I had a call with the wreckers and they told me it's fine to exchange them, pity... I was thinking that the passenger door suffered a bit less, so it would be better.

Does anyone know if there's a major difference between the full metal and plastic/metal mixed ones, especially putting it in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts