Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - as an Alfa newbie I am after some real advice.

I want to treat the missus to a new car when she qualifys this year (student nurse) and have been tempted with the GT. She loves the look of the thing and has always loved sports coupe's.

The old Clarksonism of you cant be a true petrolhead until you own an alfa rings so true as I consider myself a petrolhead but have never owned an alfa!

I love the look of the GT but I am basically after buying tips and common probs associated with them. I know that reliablility ahs improved recently - does this include the GT?

I am looking for a 2.0 JTS (NO DISEASEAL thanks!!) but cannot affford the 3.2.

Probably get a 2004/2005 reg with approx 50 - 60,000 miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

P.S. No disrespect to and JTD owners - I just couldnt live with a diesel!!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I have a 156 JTS so I can help a bit.

The engine must have it's belts and tensioners replaced every 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.If this has not been done then make allowance of £500 in your budget.

The engine can use oil so it's advisable to check the level weekly.

After that it's the same as buying any other used car.

G

·
0 Posts
Take heed of Roswells cambelt warning

The only issues I had were the MAF and coil pack issues. It's not a bad engine, needs to be revved to get anything out of it. Could also do with a new exhaust/air induction to give it that Alfa rasp it so deserves but that's just my opinion

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The JTDm trounces the JTS. You say you can't live with a diesel, I said that until four years ago, now my last four cars have all been diesels, I'm a convert.

Alfa have fine tuned the unit, the engine and exhaust note from inside the cabin pretty much emulate a petrol, the remapped GT delivers 200bhp and 316ft/lb torques, it's absolutely superb and you get a return of 30mpg around town and 44mpg on a motorway run.

If you're local and not convinced come over and take mine for a spin, I despise 'diesel haters' simply because it was me until I opened my mind..................................

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice everyone.

I new someone would pipe up when I mentioned diesels!!

Im an engineer by trade and have always loved the internal combustion engine (bit of a geek I know). I love petrol engines because they are refined and elegant (especially 'V' powerplants). I do not doubt that the JTD is better as fuel economy and torque values go, I just think the diesel engine is a pig.

Personally I think that diesel engined cars should have lower tax because they are less harmful to the environment but I think diesel owners should have noise pollution tax. There should also be 'boredom tax' when people start saying how many mpg's they get from their car....yawn.

Ths is purely in jest. The weekend is approaching and I'm all excited. Take care

G

·
0 Posts
Good thing about the JTS is that as most people want diesels you can pick a JTS up for a good price. What colour you looking for? I've had a wide array of GT's now but the red ones I had (including the one I have now) have always been the biggest head turners. Black with red leather is also a huge favourite of mine in the GT

·
Registered
294 Posts
The JTDm trounces the JTS. You say you can't live with a diesel, I said that until four years ago, now my last four cars have all been diesels, I'm a convert.

Alfa have fine tuned the unit, the engine and exhaust note from inside the cabin pretty much emulate a petrol, the remapped GT delivers 200bhp and 316ft/lb torques, it's absolutely superb and you get a return of 30mpg around town and 44mpg on a motorway run.

If you're local and not convinced come over and take mine for a spin, I despise 'diesel haters' simply because it was me until I opened my mind..................................
I drive a diesel too, but easy there chap got to respect the mans looking for a petrol,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive never been a fan of red cars - I always thought that red 'devalued' a car unless it was a supercar. The look of the GT lets it get away with being red and I am quite taken with them. I was looking for black or grey but they are horrible to keep clean and I know that she wont wash it!

Graham P, you say you have owned a few GT's - had any issues with them?

I was looking at the 36,000 or 3 year cambelt renewal shedule. Oh my god!!! 3 years!! Is it because the belts are crap or just a bad engine design!!!???

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Graham P, you say you have owned a few GT's - had any issues with them?

I was looking at the 36,000 or 3 year cambelt renewal shedule. Oh my god!!! 3 years!! Is it because the belts are crap or just a bad engine design!!!???

Cheers
Crap belts I should think :lol:

On my 2.0 JTS I had a coil pack issue which caused it to lose power slightly but that was sorted in ten minutes under warranty. Other than that the GT's I have owned have been the most reliabale car I have ever owned. Maybe I've just been lucky? The 3.2 is an amazing car though, it's a shame you can't stretch to it as I know you...erm sorry your missus would love it ;)

P.S My wife qualified as a nurse about 3 years back now and is now a district nurse and doing very well so good luck to your missus. Hope she passes with flying colours

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for advice Graham. Would also love the V6 like you say but I already own a v6 petrol and ahve already got shares in the local petrol station. I notice you are in Nottinghamshire, we are in Lincoln and she is doing her degreee through Nottingham Uni. Thanks for comments.

G

·
0 Posts
That's where my missus qualified

If you change your mind and want a V6 then mine will be up for sale at some point...not quite yet though as still loving every minute of driving it! Keep your eye on parkway cars in Mansfield as he gets lots of Alfas in

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've had my JTS GT for almost 3 years, with no issues at all. As Graham P mentioned above, the one key benefit of the JTS over the diesel (other than that it sounds nicer) is that they're less popular and thus cheaper to buy. Mine was around £1500 cheaper than an equivalent JTD 3 years ago - I've put that towards the extra fuel!

17" wheels (or 18" if you can stomach the super-firm ride) are a must in my view, rather than the standard 16" ones which just look too small on the GT.

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I went from a 2.0JTS 156 to my current GT JTDm and TBH miss the rorty nature of the petrol engine. That said - economy is way better and the torque is addictive. I really liked the JTS though

G

·
0 Posts
This one is (fairly) local to you> I used to have one in that colour and it looks very nice in the metal. Especially with the tan leather: -

Auto100.co.uk : 2.0 JTS WITH LEATHER

In fact I wonder if this is the one owned by a fella who works for the same place as me. He's based up in Mansfield and it is exactly the same spec down to the 18" wheels. If it is it's in very good nick. Oh and it's £7980 if you go to the actual dealers website

·
Registered
507 Posts
GT 2.0JTS Buying Advice

I think this choice is down to what sort of driver your wife is, what sort of roads she drives on and how many miles she drives per year.

If she wants to overtake anything, does 10,000 miles+ per year and /or drives mainly on fast A roads and motorways then the diesel is the better choice. Otherwise, the JTS will do the job and it's cheaper to buy (although not cheaper to run).

Having owned a 147 2.0 TS and being endlessly frustrated by the complete lack of grunt no matter how hard I revved it, I wouldn't go back to that particular petrol engine and I don't think the JTS will be any better in a heavier car.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I loved the JTS in my 156 and the one in the loan GT I had in September. The three year belt change is far from uniquie to Alfa too. Watch oil consumption though by checking it weekly!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts