Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Currently Im enjoying the Alfa GT 1.9 which is my first car. While I was searching for it, I happened to test drive tuned 147 1.9jtd 16v (same engine as mine). It had turbo from 2.4 engine, from mounted intercooler, sports exhaust system, and it was remapped. That thing was great fun to drive and now Im very tempted to invest and do some tuning on my car as well. But since I dont know much (aka I know almost nothing) about cars, let alone tuning, I have some questions:

1. About the turbo - from which 2.4 diesel engine should I use a turbo the 136, 150 or 175 hp one?
2. What is the intercooler for? I know the turbo connects to it but what does it do? Would it still be useful if I do not get a bigger turbo but retain the current stock one?
3. I will most likely be getting a custom exhaust system. Would I need custom exhaust and/or intake manifolds as well (Im not even sure what are those for...)?
4. What would be the benefit of installing Q2 limited slip differential? It is quite pricey so Im wondering if its worth it.
5. Would there be a point to installing a blow off valve? If there is no benefit, would it hurt installing it just for the sound?
6. I live in Bulgaria - most of our roads are crap, so I would like to avoid lowering the car. That being said would sport coilovers make any sense if they are set up so that the car wont be any lower?
7. Would installing a strut bar have any effect on a GT? Im reading alot of contradicting comments on that topic. Just to note, It will be a "custom" one made in a good local tunning shop as brand name strut bars for Alfa are next to non existent here. Then again, maybe I should import one from the UK, they could even be cheaper...
8. Last but not least, what would be the weak links in the car once it is tuned. I suspect that clutch could go, so I will likely replaced it with reinforced Valeo (the tuned 147 I drove was with such clutch). Any other weak links, and at what point (hp) would they be considered as such? I want to make the car more powerful - yes, but it still is my daily driver (not that I need to drive daily - work is 5 minutes walk from home :D), so reliability is just as important. What would be a realistic goal while keeping the reliability in check - 180, 200, more (doubt it)?

Thanks for reading my wall of text. Any comments and advice are welcome :beer:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey scottyf, indeed just remapping the car is one of the options Im considering, and most likely will be the first thing I do since it should be done anyway. Still Im wondering what is the situation with some more substantial modding.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
TBH most (if not all) of this stuff has been discussed at length through various threads in the tuning lounge.. TBH if you're asking what an intercooler is for, maybe you'd be best sticking to a remap to start with... The 1.9 JTDm in the GT/147 can take a lot of tuning in it's basic form without spending money on new turbos/intercoolers/custom exhausts etc., and you'd probably be better off putting the money saved on Turbos/ICs towards brake/suspension upgrades...

No point putting massive boosting turbos and tuning the nuts off of the car if you can barely stop or go round corners without body roll and understeer!

Basic remap + performance brakes + upgraded anti-roll bars = car that feels helluva lot quicker to drive.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Personally just be happy with a remap of 190hp and keeping the rest of the available bank for when things go wrong.

Clutch will be a big one most likely.

The other tuning modifications will cost a lot for little gains compared to just a standard remap.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Disappointingly a dump valve will not give you any cool noises as their is no back pressure on lift off.

A remap is good value for the performance gains (both speed and economy) and doesn't require any turbo upgrades or engine mods. The electronic delete of egr operation will actually be beneficial for turbo and engine. The standard clutch can cope as long as you don't continually abuse all the low down torque.

Suspension mods are costly but the items being replaced are really service so will require replacement anyway on an older car.

The standard brakes are poor. Upgrades to larger discs and calipers are expensive. A well serviced system with good branded items is probably the best you can do.

If you want your car faster still then a cheaper path would be to purchase a busso which pumps out lots of useful grunt and doesn't need mods (at least not to the engine).

Last point: Does your car have swirl flaps? They suck and will need removing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone :)
I have already removed EGR and the swirl flaps. The DPF was either removed by the previous owner, or the car just did not have one to begin with (which would be wired since its from mid 2006).

I was considering the 3.2 v6 but the fuel consumption stopped me for good or bad :D.

Based on your suggestions it seems that the best would be remap + suspension/brake`s upgrades.
Im clear on the remap and where to do it but I have some questions regarding the other stuff:

- What would be included in upgrading the suspension - strut braces front and back, anti-roll bars, what other things? Can I get sport coilovers without lowering the car ?

- As for the breaks, obviously I would need better disks and pads, but would I need the change the brakes mechanism itself? If so can you suggest me a brand/model ?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
- What would be included in upgrading the suspension - strut braces front and back, anti-roll bars, what other things? Can I get sport coilovers without lowering the car ?

- As for the breaks, obviously I would need better disks and pads, but would I need the change the brakes mechanism itself? If so can you suggest me a brand/model ?
Suspension - biggest thing you'll notice is fitting uprated antirol bars - Eibach make a popular kit. Springs/shocks or coilovers are popular, I won't get into brands/options as that convo has been had hundreds of times here.. But basically the more money you spend the better it is... Cheapo eBay coilovers feel like cheapo coilovers, expensive KW or Eibach ProS coilovers feel like niec expensive coilovers.. You pays your money, you makes your choices.

Brakes - You can get pretty good performance with the standard calipers. Performance Friction or Ferrodo pads + your choice of disc (Mtec are popular) with fresh new performance brake fluid is usually enough to lock the wheels up and cause the ABS to kick in... If you want to stop faster after that then you need stickier tyres... You can upgrade the calipers to a 4-pot Brembo flavour (also involves increasing the disc size from 284 to 330mm), but this requires sourcing the correct calipers, either replacing the wheel hub/uprights and/or sourcing brackets to convert etc... Expensive to go up to the 4-pot brembo's with 330mm discs, but it's the top-shelf option if you want it. Again lots of threads abuot brake upgrades, so ~I'd suggest you read them instead of turning this into another thread of recycled info!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, thanks alot for the pointers. I will read what threads I can find before investing any money.
Regarding the tires, I have fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which are supposed to be pretty decent according to feedback I read. I feel pretty confident with them when driving. Not too sure if the width would be sufficient tho - the size is 225/45/17.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
A note on suspension- get your upper arms Powerflexed also Powerflexed rear arms/hub bushes. Will feel a lot tighter, although more vibration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts