Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were invited to Longstones Alfa in Bridgwater on Monday to have a closer look at the pre-production, left-hand drive Giulietta which is currently doing the rounds in UK Dealerships

Amazingly, it costs each Dealership £1250 to have this car for 7 just hours :rolleyes: Many aren't bothering, but it's nice that Longstones did and of course, good to have been invited along to get an early feel for it - even if no one, not even the Dealership, is allowed to drive it

First impressions..? Well, I'd have to say that having seen so many piccys and vids now, the overall appearance didn't come as any surprise. Odd really because the MiTo has a very different presence in the metal than it does in piccys. Having said that, there was nothing which looked odd or wrong in real-life either. The front grille size is spot on - it makes a very confident and proud statement

Interest was strong. We were there for a over two hours, but didn't once get a moment 'alone' with the car as there was always someone walking around it, sat in it, opening the boot etc (I had to time my photos with split-second precision!). The striking thing about the people who were there to see it was the vast age range! Like the MiTo, it would seem to me that it appeals to all, which can only be a good thing for Alfa

It goes without saying really that the yardstick in this segment is the Golf. Comparisons of size, practicality, build quality and overall feel - no matter what the manufacturer - inevitably get drawn back to VW's mainstay. So, yes, it's Golf sized... but much more interesting and charming - to my eyes at least. The doors shut in a reassuringly Golf-like manner. The seats are fantastically comfortable and whilst it's not a huge expanse of a motor car, the space inside is spot on - more room in front and back than the MiTo and that is naturally essential for Alfa to have that clear distinction

The 18" wheels which come as standard on this, the Cloverleaf model, did actually look more like 19's - I had to check the tyre numbers to be certain! It was hard to believe they were only half an inch bigger all round than the ones of similar design on our MiTo. The other Cloverleaf / Veloce touches like the side skirt add-ons do make a difference and I'm sure the car would look less convincing in their absence

The dash is something a little different - a feat which is difficult to achieve without getting too wacky and alienating people - but it does work very well and the two big, deep, driver-focused clocks do remind me so much of great Alfa designs of old

Overall, this car is a real step forward for Alfa Romeo. It's more convincing than the 147 and significantly different from the MiTo. A nicely specced, desirable one will cost half as much again as a well equipped MiTo, but you do feel you're actually getting half as much car again for your money. It certainly won't be cheap - if you really go mad with the configurator, you can get past £34k! Although having said that, £17k will get you into the entry model and hey, a spot of character, heritage and romance comes with a price tag... so many manufacturers simply can't produce that at any price

So, did we place an order..? No. Will we..? Possibly... but that would depend hugely on a test drive and Dealers aren't getting demos until late July. From there it would come down to the price to change and whether getting into a considerably expensive car again is the right thing to do just yet...

Not only that, we still love BellaMiTo dearly! :inlove: :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
unless they do some very nice finance deals, i think they'll struggle to move the units they want to.
fwiw i think it's very nice. just not sure on the dash.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think one of the keys will be the residuals, people (and companies) buy Golfs by the bucketload because they are good cars with a perceived quality and that means they are worth something come trade-in (and the leasing deals are cheaper).
Not sure if the Giulietta will hold its value so well. I hope so, but we shall see.
Interestingly Alfa have had a problem with their dealer network quality in the past and by mine and others experience the VW dealers are not much better...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice write up, I saw the same car on Wednesday in Reading, they said they already had taken 4 orders !!

The interior is very nice, reminded me of my old 147GTA, it was certainly a nice place to be.

I just started a new job and have inherited a Golf GTD 170, which hopefully will be replaced in september by a Giulietta either a 170 petrol or the 170 Diesel, depending on the test drive.

<Mark>

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Looks nice.

Did the dealer tell you how much that fully specced up example model would cost you?! :eek: Bloody expensive :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.