Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.75L Cloverleaf
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy a giulietta as I’ve seen all the other hatchbacks I can get and it is my favourite looking and isn’t as boring as the polos and a1s etc. I’ve seen some 1.4l Giuliettas for around 4-5k and some 1.75l Giuliettas for 6.5k. Is the performance of the 1.75 a lot better then the 1.4 litre that I should spend a few grand more to get it or is the speed not much of a difference. I’m using it as a daily driver but I like driving fast but don’t know whether the 170bhp model would be enough. Also has anyone tried the Ragazzon stainless steel flap exhaust on a giulietta, does it sound any good?
Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have find the 170hp Multiair quick enough in my Guilietta. It gives similar straightline performance to the Busso in my 916 Spider, which is a heavier car, and quite likes to rev for a modern petrol turbo. Its good on fuel if that is also a consideration. I’ve not tried a 1750 though. I can’t comment on the ragazzon exhaust. The standard one sounds pretty good in my opinion, when the engine is warm/reved. The multiair engine doesnt sound great at idle though. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,782 Posts
There have been discussions on this subject in the past. Handling of MA is better/ more alive as the 1750 engine is heavier etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There have been discussions on this subject in the past. Handling of MA is better/ more alive as the 1750 engine is heavier etc...
Thanks for showing me this, I was trying to search it up but it didn’t show me anything to do with what I was looking up. I was probably doing it wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have find the 170hp Multiair quick enough in my Guilietta. It gives similar straightline performance to the Busso in my 916 Spider, which is a heavier car, and quite likes to rev for a modern petrol turbo. Its good on fuel if that is also a consideration. I’ve not tried a 1750 though. I can’t comment on the ragazzon exhaust. The standard one sounds pretty good in my opinion, when the engine is warm/reved. The multiair engine doesnt sound great at idle though. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help, I think if a 1.4 goes for sale for low mileage I’ll just get that then unless I find a really good deal on 1.75. I tried the 1.4 with 120bhp and that was quite fast but I think did lack a bit of power. I’m going to test both cars but can’t really race them on a test drive that’s why I started the thread.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
You could always get a 1.4MA and get a remap done.

That will give around 200bhp, so performance would be closer to the 1.7, you would also benefit from the better handling, better fuel economy and lower purchase cost of the 1.4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could always get a 1.4MA and get a remap done.

That will give around 200bhp, so performance would be closer to the 1.7, you would also benefit from the better handling, better fuel economy and lower purchase cost of the 1.4
I think that’s a good idea tbf, I think 200bhp is definetely enough Ill probably buy one soon

·
Registered
34,782 Posts
Worth looking into. I suppose you shouldn’t forget to research the insurance for the modifications.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worth looking into. I suppose you shouldn’t forget to research the insurance for the modifications.
Do you think they’d realise even if I have valve control, maybe too much of a risk tbf but the insurance goes up a lot for me as I’m young.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just to counter what has been said, yes the 1.4 maybe fractionally lighter but I would not say the handling is better at all, because the 1750 is also always mated to the suspension that comes with the cloverleaf/qv, this is lower and harder which improves grip, lowers centre of gravity and reduces body roll, imo the 1750 is the better engine for reliability as well as the multiair unit can be very expensive if it goes wrong, that said, you need to regularly change the oil in the 1750 or it will blow a turbo

Hope this helps 😊
from a former Cloverleaf owner

Oh just as an aside, neither are particularly great on fuel, I have heard stories of ma 170 owners getting 40mpg for sure, but I have also hear alot averaging around 32, same story with the 1750, people say you can get 35 mpg but they must have been driving very very carefully because I used to get about 28.5 in mine and I'm a sensible driver, got 34ish on the motorway though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to counter what has been said, yes the 1.4 maybe fractionally lighter but I would not say the handling is better at all, because the 1750 is also always mated to the suspension that comes with the cloverleaf/qv, this is lower and harder which improves grip, lowers centre of gravity and reduces body roll, imo the 1750 is the better engine for reliability as well as the multiair unit can be very expensive if it goes wrong, that said, you need to regularly change the oil in the 1750 or it will blow a turbo

Hope this helps 😊
from a former Cloverleaf owner

Oh just as an aside, neither are particularly great on fuel, I have heard stories of ma 170 owners getting 40mpg for sure, but I have also hear alot averaging around 32, same story with the 1750, people say you can get 35 mpg but they must have been driving very very carefully because I used to get about 28.5 in mine and I'm a sensible driver, got 34ish on the motorway though
I’m testing out the 1750 this weekend as I saw one for sale near me, I was going to go for the 1.4 but I saw a cloverleaf and I think I’d regret it if I didn’t give it a go. It looks better and if rather buy a car I’d love more. Atm I’ve got a polo with 54bhp so I’m sure this car will feel very quick😂. Thanks for the information I’ll keep it in mind when buying a car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’m testing out the 1750 this weekend as I saw one for sale near me, I was going to go for the 1.4 but I saw a cloverleaf and I think I’d regret it if I didn’t give it a go. It looks better and if rather buy a car I’d love more. Atm I’ve got a polo with 54bhp so I’m sure this car will feel very quick😂. Thanks for the information I’ll keep it in mind when buying a car.
I was thinking the same, I really wouldn't have saved much day to day in the ma and I got to have the cloverleaf and all its history at the same time, I came from a 92bhp C3 and it felt f** quick, so yeah 😂

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking the same, I really wouldn't have saved much day to day in the ma and I got to have the cloverleaf and all its history at the same time, I came from a 92bhp C3 and it felt f** quick, so yeah 😂
I’m excited to try out the car, I’ll let u know whether I buy it or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've considered both as a potential replacement for my Busso 156. I'd probably get an MA simply on running costs, would likely chip it immediately and it should have sufficient power. Having the 4C engine would make the QV a bit more interesting but I'm older now so family comes before ultimate driving fun as if it didn't I'd keep the 156 forever....

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've considered both as a potential replacement for my Busso 156. I'd probably get an MA simply on running costs, would likely chip it immediately and it should have sufficient power. Having the 4C engine would make the QV a bit more interesting but I'm older now so family comes before ultimate driving fun as if it didn't I'd keep the 156 forever....
Trust me mate, although it's a solid engine the 4C engine does not compare to the busso, mind you it sounds like you know that already, any chance you could get a lower spec Giulietta for the family or something older like a 147 diesel, something with cheap running costs, then keep the 156?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up buying the giulietta 2012 cloverleaf, didn’t even try the 1.4 fell in love with the 1.75. It’s very quick with loads of pull, more pull then anything I’ve driven plus I haven’t even used dynamic mode yet.im berry excited to collect tomorrow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Trust me mate, although it's a solid engine the 4C engine does not compare to the busso, mind you it sounds like you know that already, any chance you could get a lower spec Giulietta for the family or something older like a 147 diesel, something with cheap running costs, then keep the 156?
Don't want to hijack the thread too much but there's only so long I can keep a Busso for as it's running costs are huge compared to most cars. Even tax,insurance and fuel are hefty without considering servicing. I could keep it for the foreseeable but lack of top tether ISOFIX (have child in tow) and the possibly of more children will mean a change eventually.

The QV is likely faster than a 3.0 Busso whatever the platform the V6 is mounted in. I'd imagine the Giuliuetta is massively superior dynamically to the 156/GTV/166 etc and the turbo will blow out the Busso on low down torque which was never a torquey engine anyway. It's a heavy price to pay for the sound and smoothness of the Busso but anyone who has been there understands...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts