Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would like to see that SEAT Leon Cupra filming the record attempt from behind again ...
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. In all fairness, it was all the internet haters/doubters who read much more in that clip than there was; They guy driving the Leon actually said a couple of times he was struggling badly to keep up and that he believed the Giulia driver was just on a cruise lap...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. In all fairness, it was all the internet haters/doubters who read much more in that clip than there was; They guy driving the Leon actually said a couple of times he was struggling badly to keep up and that he believed the Giulia driver was just on a cruise lap...
The guy driving it was Dale Lomas from bridge to gantry who also drives the m3 ring taxi. He was saying last week that having seen it a number of times, he doesn't think its faster than the m3 around the ring
If the giulia is faster, then why haven't we seen the onboard videos yet?
and now 7 minutes 33 seconds.
Im happy to be proven wrong, but come on alfa, show us the video!

I wouldn't call him an alfa hater either, he put up a wonderful video of a sud giving it socks while he was in the ring taxi

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so all ANYONE has to do is BUY a Giulia Q and take it for a spin around the track themselves, Alfa know that as well, so why would they produce a time drawn out of a hat ?

Im sure BMW already have one and are tearing it to pieces as we speak ... not hearing much from Bavaria either, and they would be the first to jump up and down with a "video"

sorry, but Dale wouldnt know his elbow from his backside judging by his "commentary"

"oh look we fooled him, ha ha ha"

hes got baby seats in the back of that Leon ffs

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a fleet of Giulias at the Ring pictured recently, hmmm

probably in test mode, otherwise why are they there like that

the 7'27" limbo line perhaps ?

·
Registered
445 Posts
The guy driving it was Dale Lomas from bridge to gantry who also drives the m3 ring taxi. He was saying last week that having seen it a number of times, he doesn't think its faster than the m3 around the ring
If the giulia is faster, then why haven't we seen the onboard videos yet?
and now 7 minutes 33 seconds.
Im happy to be proven wrong, but come on alfa, show us the video!

I wouldn't call him an alfa hater either, he put up a wonderful video of a sud giving it socks while he was in the ring taxi
But it would be insanely stupid to claim a false time, the 'Ring is a public environment - it won't be long before somebody buys a Giulia Q and brings it there there; If Horst Von Saurma is still doing his laps, I wouldn't be surprised if one found its way to his hands, it's not like they are claiming some Balocco or Fiorano times, where nobody can even gain access (unless it's on a press day).

I haven't seen the cars running up close and personal, from the clips you find around the Giulia exhibits a more planted and aggressive take on the track than the M3/4; Essentially it goes in and out of the corners like a touring car, vaguely reminiscent of the DTM of yesteryear, while the BMWs still look like road cars. Very fast ones at it, but still don't seem to "bite the tarmac" as much.

The reviewers, they are a mixed bag - some say it's just like the M3, some say it's faster, some say it's slower, and I would expect that personal preference plays into it quite a bit.

Picked up Top Gear magazine last night, read Chris Harris' review...he almost redeemed himself in my eyes after making absolute balls of the 4C review. Almost, because his German cars bias maybe comes out a little bit in the end, although in all fairness he does have a point about BMW having more experience making bonkers 4 door saloons :biglaugh:

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah but thats no fun

to be brutally honest, if they didnt use a rollcage and a 4 point harness and a sports seat there would be no record

dont know where all that equipment comes as standard in a standard car

this is the video, and the claim that just doesnt match the pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVuTyb3NmSs

does it look like they are hiding something, maybe a rollcage ?

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alfa just need to release those laptimes

logic tells me that if the manual does 7'39'' and the auto is faster, then Porsche broke nothing

·
Registered
224 Posts
Obviously, but let them enjoy the moment till Alfa publishes the mew lap time.

And besides, Porsche would kill for a quarter of Giulia's coverage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Alfa just need to release those laptimes

logic tells me that if the manual does 7'39'' and the auto is faster, then Porsche broke nothing
And there is almost no secrets in the industry. I mean obviously Porsche had a reason to describe this Panamera as fastest "luxury sedan" at the Nurburgring.

And yes, there is a roll cage:

And the tires are semi-slicks. OK, this is a usual for records but they described it as a road tires.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a hard time considering the Panamera a "4 door saloon" even if, strictly technically, it is. Looks more like a "4 door coupe'", or better...a 911 somebody has "stretched" to make a limo out of.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts