Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled on this recently.

One for lovers of the older Alfa's.

Some fanatstic print advertisements through the years for various AR models.

Great line: "For muscle there's a choice. For handling, there's Alfa Romeo".

Search Vintage Ad Browser

·
Registered
558 Posts
Love these. I wish Alfa TV ads were better, with the exception of the viral sloth one for the 147, they're pretty poor. The Brera as was dreadful.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Love old magazine ads and suchlike. Good find. :thumbs:

Pity modern ads aren't up to much.
That dire Brera TV ad sticks in my mind like a childhood nightmare.
:(

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Pity modern ads aren't up to much.
That dire Brera TV ad sticks in my mind like a childhood nightmare.
:(
Living in the Antipodes, I don't think we ever saw it.

Is this the one you are referring to? Agree. Pretty lame.

YouTube - Video Alfa Romeo Brera UK

This one here IMO sums up AR.

Striking. Elegant. Stylish.

YouTube - Alfa Romeo (159 Spot 1)

I quite like this one for the Brera:

YouTube - Alfa brera 02

And I love this one.

In Italian but basically the voice-over is saying life is short, to reason with your heart than your head (ain't that the truth buying an Alfa :lol:) and that "the heart is always right"

YouTube - Alfa Spot

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Urg yes.

If I'd seen that ad before I'd bought the car it would have made me
think again about buying it. :lol:

The group of Ad 'droids who came up with that should've had their
heads slammed in a Brera's door a la Vinny Jones in Lock, Stock and
Two Smoking Barrels.
:lol::lol::lol: made me laugh out loud

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,948 Posts
Living in the Antipodes, I don't think we ever saw it.

Is this the one you are referring to? Agree. Pretty lame.

YouTube - Video Alfa Romeo Brera UK

And I love this one.

In Italian but basically the voice-over is saying life is short, to reason with your heart than your head (ain't that the truth buying an Alfa :lol:) and that "the heart is always right"

YouTube - Alfa Spot
ok, well i really like the UK Brera advert. The execution is so-so, but the theme is great. There's no point showing a Brera racing around the Nurburgring, or parking outside some boutique chi-chi shops and some stunner getting out; i really do think that the celebration of soul/spirit, juxtaposed with the denial/loss of enjoyment when 'soul' leaves, is actually pretty strong. Look at those people - they reflect the dourness that typifies Joe Blow - 'oh gosh, for a split second there, I was true to myself and had some fun. But cripes, it's gone now. I'd better get back to being miserable and sullen again.' Cos those guys are a barrel of laughs...

As for the Italian 159 ad, by jimny i love that one. A kid with a bloodied nose being used to sell a car? Is that explotation? Is it crass? But it's an advert rich with the more powerful emotions, experiences and actions that are the undercurrent of our lives. It's alive.

Passion ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
ok, well i really like the UK Brera advert. The execution is so-so, but the theme is great. There's no point showing a Brera racing around the Nurburgring, or parking outside some boutique chi-chi shops and some stunner getting out; i really do think that the celebration of soul/spirit, juxtaposed with the denial/loss of enjoyment when 'soul' leaves, is actually pretty strong. Look at those people - they reflect the dourness that typifies Joe Blow - 'oh gosh, for a split second there, I was true to myself and had some fun. But cripes, it's gone now. I'd better get back to being miserable and sullen again.' Cos those guys are a barrel of laughs...

As for the Italian 159 ad, by jimny i love that one. A kid with a bloodied nose being used to sell a car? Is that explotation? Is it crass? But it's an advert rich with the more powerful emotions, experiences and actions that are the undercurrent of our lives. It's alive.

Passion ;)
Eloquent, well reasoned post as always Scudetto. :cool:

I wish AR would produce more of these sort of ads for the global market. Might help with their lack of sales.

That said, TV advertising in particular is so prohibitively expensive and AR's current position in FIAT spa so uncertain that it seems TV promotion would be completely out of the question, or at least somewhat limited moving forward.

It's that old argument I guess. "You need to spend money to make money". I notice here in Australia, online, print and billboard advertising are the major forms of promotion for AR.

I actually think this ad (again, to my knowledge not released down under) is a wonderful advertisement for the current range.
YouTube - Alfa Romeo Spider

P.S. Nice link on the GTV 6 Stori.

One of our school teachers back in the 80s had a red one and it may as well have been a Ferrari we were that in awe. :lol:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Great post Kalel. I liked the billboards we had here when the Mito was released: "you were born screaming. What changed?" Thought that was a great line.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Great post Kalel. I liked the billboards we had here when the Mito was released: "you were born screaming. What changed?" Thought that was a great line.
Cheers Chucky.

I remember seeing the Mito billboards as well. Quite clever and in keeping with the whole "Alfa passion" ethos.

There were a few on Parramatta rd,Sydney and one huge one in Balmain if IIRC.

·
Registered
934 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts