Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys ! can anyone help me figure out why the water levels in my expansion tanks has to keep being topped up every 2 days. i have recently installed a brand new tank thinking it would solve the problem but it hasn't. Every 2 days the water level is lightly lower than the minimum level and i have to top it up. I have looked around and I'm sure there is no visible leaks from any piping. i know I'm not loosing a lot of water but is something i want to address and fix before it gets worse. does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Check the oil for emulsification, could be a head gasket on the way out I'm afraid. PITA but quite straightforward to sort out normally.

·
Registered
589 Posts
HI guys ! can anyone help me figure out why the water levels in my expansion tanks has to keep being topped up every 2 days. i have recently installed a brand new tank thinking it would solve the problem but it hasn't. Every 2 days the water level is lightly lower than the minimum level and i have to top it up. I have looked around and I'm sure there is no visible leaks from any piping. i know I'm not loosing a lot of water but is something i want to address and fix before it gets worse. does anyone have a suggestion?
When it gets just below minimum does it drop any more?

It could be it's just blowing out the excess when the system is hot and thing expand.

I don't think the expansion tank was well designed on these as it's mounted in such a way that it slopes, which to me says it it actually over full when you top it up to the level, mine will check out coolant until it sits just below min at cold and then it is quite happy at that point for months on end, I have drawn the conclusion that's obviously where it needs to be on my particular example. It's really only a hundred mil or so from minn to max in there anyway.

·
Vendor
46,828 Posts
What he said. Does it continue dropping if you don't top it up? Or does it just lose enough to bring the level below minimum and then stop losing anymore?

·
Registered
156 V6 3.0 Sportwagon
276 Posts
If I top my coolant level up to the correct level (with a cold engine), it always ends up at a lower level every few days. It never drops below a certain point though. It seems to have a level it is happy with. In the end I added some Radweld to make sure the whole coolant system was sealed. Now the coolant level remains at the correct level.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
@Momocassim757 what engine is in your car? It could simply be a small leak at a house joint so a small inspection mirror may be needed to see everything properly.

·
Registered
156 V6 3.0 Sportwagon
276 Posts
I have the 3.0 engine in my car. I had also recently fitted new coolant pipes so that could have been part of the reason?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the 3.0 engine in my car. I had also recently fitted new coolant pipes so that could have been part of the reason?
It might be one of the clips you used, with worn drive style hose clips they stay at the same tension, no matter the temperature, so when the coolant hose expands or shrinks, the tension around the pipe becomes to high or low.

This is why when I play around with hoses, admittedly I haven't on my GTA yet, I always use the spring type clamps, the are quicker, cleaner, apply uniform pressure to the hose and will adjust based of the hose expanding or retracting with the changes in temperature stopping any seepage at the joins.

Not sure I'd be dumping radweld in a Busso V6, especially a higher strung 24V but I wish you all the best of luck with that.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not sure about using Radweld either...!!

when my 3.2 was slowly losing coolant I eventually traced it to a leak from the thermostat housing area. It was leaking from the connections to the heads - the O rings on the connectors had gone hard and brittle. Replacing the O rings fixed the problembut not the easiest job. Have a good look round this area looking for pink residue from the coolant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts