Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Im new around here so i don't know how this works but hopefully I'll get someone to help me out. 🤞
I have a 2000 166 with a 3.0 busso. Because of engine failure i decided to swap out the engine for a new one. Since i found a parts car i decided to swap it out together with the transmission. And I ran into a veeery interesting problem. I bought the engine and transmission separated, and i put them together before installing however, just for testing i put the transmission in gear and turn the engine by hand. The axles turn as they should, but when i turn the axles they spin freely and the engine doesn't turn at all. I changed the clutch set completely if that helps. So i have no clue if the transmission is ok and i don't want to install anything before I'm certain everything's fine. Can anyone tell me if this is normal??

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hi, and welcome.

OK, some basic questions, and please excuse me if they seem daft!

When you say that the axles move freely but the engine doesn't turn, can you clarify that a bit please. I ask, as they all have an ‘open’ differential as standard, and with that, if the gearbox is in gear, and fitted to the engine, turning ONE output shaft will simply spin the other in the opposite direction. This is normal.

If, however, you turn both output shafts in the same direction in the above scenario then that should try to turn the engine. You likely won’t manage to though, due to the gear ratios, but it’ll feel solid and probably won’t move.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thank you for the reply!
I feel a bit silly now that I realised they have an open diff.
My idea was that just like in bump starting you could turn the engine through the axles and i was turning just one of them. When i tried to turn them both in the same direction it was hard to turn them just like you said! The transmission turns out to be perfectly fine. Thank you for the info! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
No such thing as a silly question, only silly answers!

I always try to remember that I’ve been messing with cars for over 50 years, and even the most reluctant will pick up a few things in that much time :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts