Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disregarding the original idea for the 159 GTA with a Maserati V8 inside of it, what are your thoughts about swapping a V8 engine into the 939 platform?
Did you ever see anyone do it, or anything even similar to it?
Of course that would mean converting the car to rear wheel drive as well...
And to make all of that possible, loads of time, effort, and money is requiered for a project like that.
What are your thoughts?
Which platform would be the easiest to swap into a 159 chassis?
I think the 159 deserves it 100%.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
868 Posts
Probably something GM, a Holden Monaro drivetrain and rear end?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The 159 didn’t share a chassis with anything aside from the clipped version underpinning the Brera and Spider, so I don’t think the Holden is much help. I don’t think any V8s would fit anyway, not without some serious work. Alfa saloons have traditionally had V6s anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
642 Posts
The 159 didn’t share a chassis with anything aside from the clipped version underpinning the Brera and Spider, so I don’t think the Holden is much help. I don’t think any V8s would fit anyway, not without some serious work. Alfa saloons have traditionally had V6s anyway.

VW - W8?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Cadillac had the Northstar V8's mounted transversely in models from the 1990's.

Ford Taurus came with the 3.4L Yamaha V8 mounted transversely. But the 3.2 V6 in the 159 made more power.

That being said, it won't be impossible. The Rover group made major modifications to the Rover 75 to fit a 4.6L Mustang V8 in it. Mounted longitudinal with power going to the rear wheels. Normal 75's were front wheel drive. A lot of GM cars from the 1970's also had V8's mounted longitudinally with power going to the front wheels.

·
Banned
642 Posts

This was still in production when the Busso was on the drawing board.

The Montreal had a de - rated formula one V8, which physically wasn’t very big.

The Straight Eight, ( 158/9), V12, Flat Twelve and I believe there was a V10 in there somewhere.

Fiat over-used the Busso as they had nothing comparable and showed no inclination to produce anything. Such that it went into too many mediocre offerings and lost its flagship status.

I have thought long and hard about converting my Q4 to rear wheel drive and it is a lot easier than people think. But it would not be an improvement on the 3.2JTS Q4 as it has one of the very best four wheel drive systems around.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This was still in production when the Busso was on the drawing board.

The Montreal had a de - rated formula one V8, which physically wasn’t very big.

The Straight Eight, ( 158/9), V12, Flat Twelve and I believe there was a V10 in there somewhere.

Fiat over-used the Busso as they had nothing comparable and showed no inclination to produce anything. Such that it went into too many mediocre offerings and lost its flagship status.

I have thought long and hard about converting my Q4 to rear wheel drive and it is a lot easier than people think. But it would not be an improvement on the 3.2JTS Q4 as it has one of the very best four wheel drive systems around.
None of which are saloons!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Disregarding the original idea for the 159 GTA with a Maserati V8 inside of it, what are your thoughts about swapping a V8 engine into the 939 platform?
Did you ever see anyone do it, or anything even similar to it?
Of course that would mean converting the car to rear wheel drive as well...
And to make all of that possible, loads of time, effort, and money is requiered for a project like that.
What are your thoughts?
Which platform would be the easiest to swap into a 159 chassis?
I think the 159 deserves it 100%.
Patrick, did you go any further on this? I have the same idea since I bought my 159 , I'm sure is possbile, indeed there were some 159 with a 4.7 massi v8 mounted transversaly, there were prototypes and the few they made were driven in the streets as a regular car. I dream with this project every day, the main issue would be the transmission, the prototype was q4 but ..what gearbox would it have been? the f40 used on the 3.2 v6 is rated up to 400nm of torque and the Maserati 4.2 has 450nm so ..... but, if somehow is possible to strengh the internals of the F40 then thats it, because you get all the transmission with linkeage , electronics , mechanics shafts etc all solved and OEM, the remain tasks would be to connect the engine with the gearbox and mount the engine (wich we already know it fits on width and height.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,989 Posts
Many tuned 2.4 dervs are developing well over 450 nm and driving it through their standard F40 box without issue.....and the V8 won't deliver it at such low revs either. I really can't see it being an issue. They are really tough gearboxes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many tuned 2.4 dervs are developing well over 450 nm and driving it through their standard F40 box without issue.....and the V8 won't deliver it at such low revs either. I really can't see it being an issue. They are really tough gearboxes.
I've read it delivers at 4500rpm. Anyway I'll push it to 4500rpm...like everyday :) and you too:)
So the 4.2 is an option, is on the absolut limit but it can take it. A 4.7 delivers 520nm ....too much in this case I wouldn't take the risk.
It would be nice to talk to one of those 2.4 owners, I'll do my search.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is perfect, but the 4.7 pushes 520nm , maybe a risk if using an F40 gearbox.
On the other hand if you search on the US market you'll find 4.2v8s for 4000U$S wich are like 3.000euros
Well, it is with a electronic throttle so you can program the maximum torque and flatten the curve to avoid gearbox destruction and still keep maximum hp.

Also: maybe you can't keep the inlet manifold like it is because it will not fit under the hood so that will cost torque anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it is with a electronic throttle so you can program the maximum torque and flatten the curve to avoid gearbox destruction and still keep maximum hp.

Also: maybe you can't keep the inlet manifold like it is because it will not fit under the hood so that will cost torque anyway.
I guess you are right, anyway the tuning will be a risk at the limit , destroying gearboxes in the process of finding the sweet spot is not a choice. On the other hand it looks like a perfect perfect solution as this transmission is stock on the car. If the engine is mounted transversely I think It will clear the hood, it was already done on prototypes. I tried to find the measurements of the v8 but coultn't find anything so far.
thank you for the info;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
that was a very nice reading, I did not know all the history of the project. Is a shame they coudn't find out what gearbox was finally installed, they said it was integral and manual and that the inertia of the trans v8 was an issue to be solved.

·
Registered
Alfetta GTV6 supercharged racer, Alfa 159 3.2 awd Ti, Alfetta 2000 sedan
93 Posts
Prototype Brera with Maserati V8
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts