Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of a newly acquired Alfa Romeo 159 (58 Reg) Ti 1.9 JTDM in Red colour :D (I will post pics once I have took pictures).

I have read up on a few threads about how the EGR Valve should be blanked off and the DPF should be deleted and then finally mapped off as they both can cause a problem in the future.

Can the experts on this forum possibly confirm if all of the 159 1.9 diesel models suffered from these issues?

Also where can I buy the EGR blanking plates from? And is there a 'how to change' thread for this?

Any help is much appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
EGR blanking plate easy enough to buy off EBay. Easy to change. Just Google a 'how to'. It will throw up an engine management light though. Either live with that or you'll have to get it 'deleted' using plug-in software. It's worth boring out the DPF up to the CAT then getting the full DPF delete with EGR delete as this will give you more power. The car will no longer suffer with endless DPF regeneration warnings and limp mode issues. It will perform better, the manifold won't get clogged up and it will be more economical. It will be fine at MOT time. Trust me, I've had it done and enjoyed 20,000 miles of fantastic, hassle-free motoring. What's more, my car is up for sale and in near mint condition! Shall I go on!?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Have a read of the diesel power loss guide in the stickies? How to videos in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EGR blanking plate easy enough to buy off EBay. Easy to change. Just Google a 'how to'. It will throw up an engine management light though. Either live with that or you'll have to get it 'deleted' using plug-in software. It's worth boring out the DPF up to the CAT then getting the full DPF delete with EGR delete as this will give you more power. The car will no longer suffer with endless DPF regeneration warnings and limp mode issues. It will perform better, the manifold won't get clogged up and it will be more economical. It will be fine at MOT time. Trust me, I've had it done and enjoyed 20,000 miles of fantastic, hassle-free motoring. What's more, my car is up for sale and in near mint condition! Shall I go on!?
Thanks for your help mate. I am already looking at getting rid of the DPF along with the EGR blanking. I will finally get it remapped not only to get rid of the warning lights but also for some extra performance :evil:

I did do a search earlier on ebay for a EGR blanking plate but there seemed to be a few different shapes? How do I know which is the correct one for mine?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Either the square or diamond shaped will do look for the jtdm/ CDTi ones

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Missing from your list, the most important thing: Autolusso - Swirl Flap Delete

Also vital: check the front oil cooler pipes, especially the unions with the cooler matrix (under the front offside corner, in front of the wheel). They rust through, the oil departs and so does your engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Missing from your list, the most important thing: Autolusso - Swirl Flap Delete

Also vital: check the front oil cooler pipes, especially the unions with the cooler matrix (under the front offside corner, in front of the wheel). They rust through, the oil departs and so does your engine.
Can anyone please provide me with a link which swirl flap removal kit I need to buy for my Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM?

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Thanks. I'm assuming the correct blanking plates are without the holes.

Which would it be out of these two? Also how many plates will I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...969775?hash=item258dcf672f:g:ycQAAOxy7nNTT6QH

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/42-1-EGR-...el:159&hash=item27cf451ff7:g:VTUAAOSwWKtUxS9q
You can use either, I prefer the 4 hole one, you will still need it mapping out of the ECU though. If you just fit a plate they can blow though and spit its of metal in to your engine

Ned

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can use either, I prefer the 4 hole one, you will still need it mapping out of the ECU though. If you just fit a plate they can blow though and spit its of metal in to your engine

Ned
Yes I will definitely have it remapped after doing the EGR delete. A very noob question I am asking but how many of the 4 hole blanking plates do I need?

Also which swirl flap delete do I need to purchase from ebay? Can anyone kindly post a link on here?

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Yes I will definitely have it remapped after doing the EGR delete. A very noob question I am asking but how many of the 4 hole blanking plates do I need?

Also which swirl flap delete do I need to purchase from ebay? Can anyone kindly post a link on here?
You need 1 4 hole gasket, are a bit more expensive that the ones on eBay

EGR Valve Blanking Plate 1.9 16v and 2.4 20v - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

We do blank and mapping supplied and fitted for £150 inc VAT, if you are outside the UK you can send us your ECU to have it done

You don't need to buy anything to do the swirl flaps other than an intake gasket. you need to remove the manifold (PITA) remove the flaps and spindles, tap M6 thread and fit bolts in the holes, I made that sound easy :biglaugh::biglaugh: its not easy. We charge £300 inc VAT for swirl flap delete

Ned

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need 1 4 hole gasket, are a bit more expensive that the ones on eBay

EGR Valve Blanking Plate 1.9 16v and 2.4 20v - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

We do blank and mapping supplied and fitted for £150 inc VAT, if you are outside the UK you can send us your ECU to have it done

Ned
Hi Ned,

When you say blank and mapping for £150 inc VAT, do you mean it is an actual remap where I will gain more bhp and not just a EGR delete? If so how much bhp will I gain and will I get a printout?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Hi Ned,

When you say blank and mapping for £150 inc VAT, do you mean it is an actual remap where I will gain more bhp and not just a EGR delete? If so how much bhp will I gain and will I get a printout?

That price is just the EGR delete, for extra power its £300 ( from their website).
In reality though the car will gain a 'few' extra horses with the EGR delete and will be much more responsive at lower revs, I can fully vouch for Neds EGR delete service. Does the job and less faff than the dongle etc option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts