Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have in august 2015, bought a car from 2011 have run 5.000 km.

I do not understand what TBI or TB stands for.

I ask the salesman, he says it is a 1750 TBI
I ask why is not standing TBI on the car, the salgsman say's it is a hide for the burglar not to see the 200 PS motor you have.

My mechanic man tells me that only the motor is TBI not the car, the car is TI.

The car is produced 24.05.2011, selling market Deutschland.

Can someone tell me what does
140CWB3 159 Sportwagon 1.8 TBi 16V 147 KW (200PS) Turismo
On the back is showing TB.
Stand for

Hope someone can help me.
What is TBi and what is TB

·
Registered
913 Posts
TBi - stands for turbo petrol engine with direct injection, so this is 1.75 liter turbo engine with 200hp.
TI - stands for highest sport pack that was available on 159, somethinkg like S-line on an Audi. So you have different (more sporty) seats and some other interior trim like black ceiling, red stiches,... On the exterior you have 19" TI wheels and TI side skirts, the car is also lowered with TI springs, so it is lower than standard

·
Registered
280 Posts
And on a TI model there is no TBi badge on the back. Just a TI. Other lower spec. versions have a TBi badge!

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
All the 1750 TBi had a TBi badge. You could specify to remove this when ordering.

Tourismo is a lower trim specification.

There was a Tourismo Sport which had a fully black cloth interior and headlining and 17" wheels.

Mechanically the 1750 cars are all the same.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
A 1750 159ti with a TBi badge? Are you sure? As they say .... 'Pictures or it didn't happen'
They sold 1 TBi that I know of here and it wasn't a Ti.

Well seeing as though you are calling me out: Google to the rescue...

http://files.vroom.be/pictures/pres...-sportivo-es-tu-la/7.jpg?width=720&height=393

Apology accepted.
:p:p:p

http://www.vroom.be/fr/essai-auto/alfa-romeo-1750-tbi-cuore-sportivo-es-tu-la
(The Interior on that page is a Sport, but the exteriors are a mix of Ti and Sport. Weird.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well Tata I do of course apologise. I can't dispute the evidence. I think I assumed it was either/or because a) Lussos etc seem to have the TBi badge where the Ti badge is in my experience and b) I read it on a thread here a while ago.

*grovels*

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
392 Posts
Hi
I have a October 2011 registered 159 Ti SW. It has 19inch wheels and never had a Tbi (Turbo Benzina Injection) badge. Only Ti with a TBi badge I have seen is one that Veloce was selling, and I assumed they or previous owner had stuck it on.
Of course this is UK market and other markets will differ.:thumbup:

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Once I saw very strange car.
She was LHD, SW, equipped with 19"TI wheels, red Brembos, red clocks, chromed rearview mirror casing with no leather interior.
She has no TI logo on the rear boot, but she has two TI logo at both front wings both left an right near to direction repeating lights.
TBI logo was also placed rear. Car has no sideskirts which is obvious for TI and no even rear parking sensors which is obvious to any 159.
Not sure about lowering of this car since it is not quite easy to notice generally and also about black interior inside since I have not paid attention to it.
Anyway it is probably the second one from inadequate family been described hereinabove.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I heard stories about Alfa's assembled at the end of their production run and they would install on them whatever they had left in stock. Made for some interesting combinations.

I worked in the automobile industry and I can't really see that happening, but I only worked for German and Japanese manufacturers, with Italians, you never know. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts