Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member of the forum here looking for some much needed help. I bought a Alfa Romeo 159 with the 2L jdtm engine (170hp version) about a year ago (it had 140k Km's) and have been having continuous issues since. After buying the car, it started pouring out smoke and judering like mad. Took it to the garage were they changed the gas colector and oil pump. Problems didn't stop so I took it back and they changed the dpf that had drilled holes in it 馃槵. Got it back and drove it for a while but the judering never really stoped, untill a week ago or so, when it became really bad to the point we're you couldn't drive it. Again, went back to the garage and changed the EGR valve that was toast. Felt like it was fixed until today ( the day after). Judering is back and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated, before I give up and sell it on. Thanks 馃檹

Registered
When is the juddering happening?! All the time, hard acceleration or steady speed or at random?!

Some thoughts
The 2.0 is normally far less problematic for EGR or DPF.
Someone remind me if the 159 2.0 JTDM has swirl flaps? Possible one has ingested if it does.
Blank off the EGR (should throw a temp fault code but drive normally), if juddling is still there then it鈥檚 not the EGR
Clean the map sensor on the manifold (if you鈥檝e had a dodgy EGR then it may be caked).
Check the MAF sensor.
Can check if the throttle body/ shut valve (whatever you want to call it) is clean.

Also find a good independent dealer, where are you based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When is the juddering happening?! All the time, hard acceleration or steady speed or at random?!

Some thoughts
Blank off the EGR (should throw a temp fault code but drive normally), if juddling is still there then it鈥檚 not the EGR
Clean the map sensor on the manifold (if you鈥檝e had a dodgy EGR then it may be caked).
Check the MAF sensor.

At the start the judering only happened in high gears and low reves, 4-5 gear 1.6k. But has now is hard to predict and happens at rev ranges in all gears.

Will check the sensors like you said. Thanks for the feedback.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Some thoughts
Check the MAF sensor.

Also could it be anything related to the dpf wich seems to get blocked really easily. Have an OBD reader on it and it says the closing percentage is at 92, when the cleans are normally done at 80-90 percent.

Registered
Yes it could be related to the DPF (they do have a finite life). The 2.0 is close coupled and far fewer issues. That being said you can purchase DPF cleaner that goes in the fuel tank and can help clean it out. It鈥檚 possible the previous owner did lots of short journeys. Rag it down the motorway for 30mins in a low gear ( helps heat up the DPF and burn off soot. The fuel additive will help.

What colour smoke is it?! If you had a dodgy EGR it would likely reblock the new DPF (re read that you have a new DPF) or could be another issue. Smoke colour can help identify

Have a read of the below for some other ideas

Power Loss with Diesels: Guide

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it could be related to the DPF (they do have a finite life). The 2.0 is close coupled and far fewer issues. That being said you can purchase DPF cleaner that goes in the fuel tank and can help clean it out. It鈥檚 possible the previous owner did lots of short journeys. Rag it down the motorway for 30mins in a low gear ( helps heat up the DPF and burn off soot. The fuel additive will help.

What colour smoke is it?! If you had a dodgy EGR it would likely reblock the new DPF or could be another issue. Smoke colour can help identify

Have a read of the below for some other ideas

Power Loss with Diesels: Guide

Sorry forgot to mention that the garage also sent out the dpf for a full clean at the same time as doing the EGR valve. That was just a couple of days ago and since then it has filled up again and won't start the cleaning process. But even then it's seems like to short of a time period to fill up again unless it's got some other problem.

Registered
Sorry forgot to mention that the garage also sent out the dpf for a full clean at the same time as doing the EGR valve. That was just a couple of days ago and since then it has filled up again and won't start the cleaning process. But even then it's seems like to short of a time period to fill up again unless it's got some other problem.
Sounds like other problems, what colour is the smoke?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like other problems, what colour is the smoke?

White, almost blueish. Smoke has definitely decreased since when I first bought it to the point were it's close to normal but the judering has only got worse. Just went to the garage and they are going swap out a sensor in the dpf. To it seems like they are grasping at straws but I don't know.

Registered
You mentioned that the DPF had previously been drilled? When you do that I believe that the car's brain needs to be told not to run the usual DPF regeneration procedure. Now you've put a new one in has anyone bothered to tell the car's brain it needs to perform regenerations to unblock it?

Guy

Registered
You mentioned that the DPF had previously been drilled? When you do that I believe that the car's brain needs to be told not to run the usual DPF regeneration procedure. Now you've put a new one in has anyone bothered to tell the car's brain it needs to perform regenerations to unblock it?

Guy
Very possible! A lot of people only drilled one side of the DPF, so may be one of those?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Guy
[/QUOT

Guy
It was remapped after it was replaced. The cleans were still frequent and it showed when a it was doing a clean on the OBD ll reader I plugged in. But it seems to not want to do a clean know and is way above the normal clogging percentage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Guy
It was remapped after it was replaced. The cleans were still frequent and it showed when a it was doing a clean on the OBD ll reader I plugged in. But it seems to not want to do a clean now and is way above the normal clogging percentage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Do you have MES? Can you record injector data from stone cold and driving? Mine was similar with dodgy injectors鈥
Don't have MES but OBD could checked injectors and they were fine, and checked pretty much every other scannable thing the OBD could do was also normal. Apart from the carbon clogging sensor that doesn't seem to ad up as it said that the dpf was completely cloged up when it had just been removed for a clean. Waiting for the sensor to arrive and install it, see if it makes a difference ( doubt it though seeing as it gives clear and progressive clogging stats.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts