Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.... This is my first post here and I need some advice on this one. I´ve been looking but my doubts are the same (almost).... First thing, I´m not an expert in mechanics, so go easy with me.... :biglaugh:

Shortly I´m gonna replace my Mazda 6 SW (2003) for another wagon, and the Alfa Romeo 159 is beautiful. I might say I´m in love :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: .... I saw a model that I loved (Alfa Romeo 159 SW Turismo 2.0 136bp) but I think that this model have low horse power to the weight. I think that with a remap to increase 30+ horse power would be great to this wagon.

My concerns is about the mechanic parts (clutch, gearbox, DMF, injectors, turbo, etc.)... My fear is that the mechanic parts can´t take this over power and start "cracking".... So, for those who already remap this model or know the limits that this model can take for this over power, need some advice....

Also, to the experts, you can do a fix topic with a list of the engine and the limits that we can remap those engines. Just a suggestion.

For now it´s all. Thank you for attention.

Best regards, Eduardo

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Only thing I know about this engine is that it does NOT have the physical intake restriction that is found on the lower bhp Giulietta 2.0 jtdm, so easier to map!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 159 2.0 jtdm was available with 136hp and 170hp and its the same engine so it can easily take it. However I would investigate what else is different, e.g. its possible the 136 could have a lower rated gearbox, smaller intercooler, different turbo, different injectors etc.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As mentioned above; engine wise there is no difference what-so-ever.
Only important thing to bear in mind is that yours probably has the later C635 gearbox, which can't take the full torque potential like the F40 can (up to 430Nm). C635 should be limited to 390Nm.

(F40 is easily recognized by the big casting marking on top of the gearbox when looking from under the hood.)

Maximum power should be the same though; 200hp.

More details can be found at this Dutch tuner's website:
159 2.0 JTDm 16v 136 pk, Alfa 159 Diesel - Squadra Tuning

You won't regret, it totally transforms the characteristics of the car. Although, I ran mine (F40) around 30K kilometres on standard setup to have a proper benchmark.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think my 170bhp Ti is slow, so the 136bhp must be dreadful. I'm looking at getting mine remapped with my next service.

I do remember reading somewhere on this forum though that while the engine blocks are the same, some other engine components are different between the 170 and 136 versions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think my 170bhp Ti is slow, so the 136bhp must be dreadful. I'm looking at getting mine remapped with my next service.

I do remember reading somewhere on this forum though that while the engine blocks are the same, some other engine components are different between the 170 and 136 versions.
Taking it to 166 bhp I think your still going to be disappointed having recently acquired a 170 bhp version.
Booked mine in next month to take it to 200 hope it's enough.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Taking it to 166 bhp I think your still going to be disappointed having recently acquired a 170 bhp version.
Booked mine in next month to take it to 200 hope it's enough.
200 should be fine,

I had mine mapped to (allegedly) 210 and it's brilliant.
I left the DPF and regens intact but had the EGR mapped closed.

a whole world of difference :) :)

Axe

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
136hp is Belgian so called "castrate" to fit 100kW local taxation rules only. 100kW is 136hp indeed.
Same cars, same components, etc. They differ ECU program only and engine family code thereof.
Virtually it is the same result which one to map.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts