Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Nice work Esnyperis, you should have moved the battery to where it belongs, in the boot, while you were at it. :)

The shut down valve is to stop judder when shutting down and sometimes restrict the EGR, alfaitalia, its not for preventing diesel runaway, it wont help with that cos it doesnt stay shut for long enough.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any difference in airflow (comparings)? But the hole in in the egr part looks stock really small. I think it bigger when you have a vacuum egr and not this electronic egr.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Any difference in airflow (comparings)? But the hole in in the egr part looks stock really small. I think it bigger when you have a vacuum egr and not this electronic egr.
Interestingly, logs shows a little bit lower air quantity values (~-100mg/i). But I will do more logs later...

Did 100-200km/h video with 2.5bar of boost. 80-160 7.25s (before mod best time was 9.2s with more fuel and same boost). 100-200km/h ~17s. A little bit slower than I expected.

BTW, finally fixed lag after gear change. Boost rebuilds immediately. And it was only VNT map tweak.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Looks like a boost creep @4400rpm

Can you log the lambda value? Would be interessting!
And check your hose clamps because the lower maf values.If ambient temp is now higher then before, you will also loose air quantity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Looks like a boost creep @4400rpm

Can you log the lambda value? Would be interessting!
And check your hose clamps because the lower maf values.If ambient temp is now higher then before, you will also loose air quantity.
Just released gas at 4400rpm, but left in gear.

My application doesn't have a lambda sensor... I can't log it.

Ambient temperature is about +15 higher. Hose clamps are ok.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Some more updates:
1. Bought and fitted seats from Ti
2. Bought new rear bumper from 2.4 JTDm (both exhaust holes will be equal size).
3. Repaired front bumper and splitter.
4. Both bumpers will be painted soon

Did a sound check video. Still can't understand how 4 cylinder tractor engine can sound like that...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did a sound check video. Still can't understand how 4 cylinder tractor engine can sound like that...
Well to be honest diesels doesnt sound bad from behind, they sound terrible in engine department :D But yes yours sound like proper gas sports car :D
One thing i did not like - chiptuning. Why car smokes on revs when car have no load? With no load it should inject at most 30mm3 of fuel. with that much fuel you need little air [even boost is not needed] to burn it without smoke. So i think chiptuning guy should adjust smoke maps on low load - i mean when injection is less then 30mm3 there is also smoke map based on MAF - so look at how much air it pulls on idle and adjust that map too to be higher on low air. This will not kill performance but will make car look like more professional instead of tuned in garage. I guess it's because of "popcorn" effect it smokes, which is not cool anyway IMO. It's for old vintage gas cars not modern cars :). Not to mention it's not good for engine and i guess turbo, so you killing car for effect that only makes impression to teenagers. :)

Anyway - i saw your log and your temps [egt] are very low, compared to your turbo and IQ. Are you sure it reads correctly? What change you made that had such profound effect on EGT in your opinion? I have alfa 159 2.0 stock just my tune it injects at most 104mm3 of fuel (my afr is 15). But my EGT goes to 750 easy in matter of few seconds on high load (never tested for max temp, my tune kills power [goes to stock] when rpm rich 4000, i dont want to rape diesel with high rpm). I have no egr, i have no dpf, no catalytic converter, double exhaust, no mufflers. My SOI is advanced by 1-2 degrees. I read "EGT" from temp sensor that is installed in DownPipe after turbo.

PS. Jesus crist you spend a lot of time and money i guess on that car! Respect for that. After so much breaks - not everyone would have passion to continue :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
EGT so difficult... I have datalogs from a GTB2060V (not Esnyperis) and the air quantity with 3500 to 3700 mbar is too low for >130mm³ and an AFR near 17. The logs shows @4400rpm an AFR lower 15. From 2000 to 5300rpm the AFR is never over 16,5 (only onetime - overboost).
For 130mm³ (109,2mg/i) you need 1856mg/i of air for an AFR of 17. Thats not possible with a GTB2060V.
And the air quantity drops a lot in higher revs. The difference in the logs is around 150mg/i between 2850rpm and 4580rpm with the same boost.
AFR @ 2850 rpm with 123mm³ = 16,0
AFR @ 4580rpm with 120mm³ = 14,8

You can also cool your egt with much fuel. But its not like a petrol engine. The diesel smokes like hell.

Next thing is the sensor position. For me it makes no sense to measure the egt after the turbo. Only egt in the exhaust manifold counts. We're talking about easy 250°C difference between exhaust manifold and after turbo. I reach with "only" 95mm³ 910°C in the exhaust manifold. Its not perfect, because the exhaust is still to small but, it makes not a big difference in the exhaust manifold.

At the end its the questions whats your target: smokeless power (higher egt) or max power and lot of black smoke (lower egt).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Smoke will be fixed, no worries. I'am not a fan of smokey diesels too. Even if it cost some performance.

Big downpipe and straight freeflow exhaust will help you lower your EGT for sure. My EGT probe is right after turbo, so it's not that bad if we talk about accuracy. But I agree, those temperatures looks a little bit optimistic to be fair.

I'am not sure if my 130mm3/i is real. Durations are correct, but injectors most likely do not flow as much fuel as they do when they were new. Second my concern is exhaust manifold. I think it's a little bit too restrictive and it creates a lot EMP at high rpm. That explains slow acceleration on high gears. I'am planning to do a dyno pull this or next week, if it will not pass 300hp mark I'am going to fit a EMP gauge to manifold to see what's going on. And of course, after that I will move EGT probe to manifold.

·
Registered
51 Posts
EGT so difficult... I have datalogs from a GTB2060V (not Esnyperis) and the air quantity with 3500 to 3700 mbar is too low for >130mm³ and an AFR near 17. The logs shows @4400rpm an AFR lower 15. From 2000 to 5300rpm the AFR is never over 16,5 (only onetime - overboost)......

Next thing is the sensor position. For me it makes no sense to measure the egt after the turbo. Only egt in the exhaust manifold counts.
My so called egt probe is in stock position where manufacturer added it. to be fair it's a dpf temp sensor, i think alfa 2.0 also have real EGT sensor in manifold, but i can not read it via MultiScanECU.

Also why you need AFR of 17? 16.5 already high. Stock AFR is lower then 16.5 and you write like 16.5 is bad :)

Big downpipe and straight freeflow exhaust will help you lower your EGT for sure. My EGT probe is right after turbo, so it's not that bad if we talk about accuracy. But I agree, those temperatures looks a little bit optimistic to be fair.
My exhaust is pretty free too. EGT depends on AFR, injection angle... I dont know do 1.9 have dpf temp sensor? or you installed sensor yourself? maybe ecu can not read it correctly difference in voltage drop then calibrated in ecu. Your egt is not that incredible to believe but boost is high injection almost double the stock, would make sense to see at least 750c...well maybe flow matters.. i guess everything matters.. In my opinion EGT is most important number too look when doing chiptune. But very rare anyone look at it.
Most important to tell tuner to not change egt limiters. But people love esy answers so why change hardware if you can just make higher egt limiter and kill engine and turbo :D

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stock AFR is ~20

17 is the point, where smoke gets visible. And smoke is unburned diesel. Unburned diesel is unused power.

AFR calucation
AFR = air quantity / (IQ * 0.84)

0.84 = diesel fuel density

IQ * 0.84 is to covert mm³ to mg/i

View attachment 936171
Which car have stock afr [smoke limiter map] of 20 ? stupid high afr :) I attached stock afr of alfa 156. Ye sit smokes when flooring from 0km/h but for few secs. There is absolutely no reason for 20 afr.
I would argue that 17 afr smoke is possible. this more like problems with hardware.
You say smoke = unused power -yes, but high afr is unused power too :D Car wont inject higher amount of fuel because will be wating for air. So will be sluggish.

PS> Car can do AFR of 60 when running, im talkig about Smoke limiter map AFR values.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
And out of your engine came exactly this programmed AFR?
Sorry i'm not getting what you asking, but if you ask does this AFR is stock (made by manufacturer of the car) -then yes this is original AFR, not changed. Only in weak cars that have less then 100 Kw i see stupid high AFR tables. I guess they do it intentionally so no need to alter many maps and make car weak, they just make high AFR :D

On my newer alfa 159 2.0 125kw - afr is bit higher but still pretty similar to alfa 156. In my opinion afr have no reason to go higher then 18. I would like to hear proof why would anyone would do higher then that, even then 17. You just wasting energy, because car have to make higher boost and boost kills efficiency. If you need x amount of air to bur x amount of fuel and you pulling 50% more air then needed-it's waste of energy, boost have to be compressed in cylinder by engine, so needs ore power to do that. That's why cars that lower boost on cruise zone have better fuel economy.
And if manufacturer make high AFR table this either means they also made Boost table higher, or they just try to lower IQ because of boost not sufficient for such AFR, so ecu injects less fuel. Also as i mentioned-weak car [small turbo] problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
great sound!!! What time 0-100kmh?
Yeah diesels sounds good when all the ecological **** is taken off :) Personally i'm not happy to take off ecological crap, but as many people in eastern europe-we buy used cars, usually with 200 000km mileage, so keeping egr, dead dpf's on cars just will destroy old car much faster.

PS i know you wrote to Esnyperis, but my alfa sounds the same, bit deeper and without pops and bangs...also my engine is 2.0 so i do conclusion that all alfas sounds good when have straight exhaust and adjusted N75 map on low IQ and till 1250rpm to avoid 'metalic' sound coming from exhaust.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
"All the ecological crap" as you put it, makes virtually no difference to sound, particularly EGR, so many car enthusiasts write so much rubbish about emissions equipment, youd think that they breathed different air to everyone else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
"All the ecological crap" as you put it, makes virtually no difference to sound, particularly EGR, so many car enthusiasts write so much rubbish about emissions equipment, youd think that they breathed different air to everyone else.
DPF have PROFOUND effect on exhaust sound [especially if its clogged] . It's like day and night. Also i wrote about deleting dpf egr NOT because of sound. Esnyperis sound is not great it's LOUD, my cars exhaust is loud too. Its nothing to brag about. Silent car is better. Problem is when you remove dpf, mufflers it just cant be silent. And you must if you need fast flowing exhaust. LOUD exhaust is a side effect and in my opinion big price to pay to listen that noise when you driving. My car have noise insulation in the back but that doesn't help much sound too loud to low to be possible to mute. I even thinking to refit 2.4 versions stock mufflers :) People who say "engine noise is nice to listen" lie to you. Ye sit's nice when you rev few times... but when you driving that car day and night it drives crazy. It's not so loud inside dont get me wrong, but it's loader then tyre noise for sure.

PS. EGR is directly responsible for 99% of diesel engine problems. People MUST block it.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts