Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I want to share my experience with 1.9 JTDm 16V GTB build. Main goal for this build is to reach 300HP/600NM mark.

So first of all I started from the main weak point of this car - gearbox. Just swapped to F40 gearbox. It will require:
1. Vectra C/Signum F40 gearbox (sadly, but 2.4 JTDm gearbox will not fit, because drive shaft will be 1cm higher)
2. Both drive shafts from 2.0 JTDm
3. 2.4 JTDm or 2.0 JTDm gearbox linkage cables
4. 2.0 JTDm upper gearbox mount
5. 2.4/2.0 JTDm upper gearbox mount bracket
6. 2.0 JTDm lower gearbox mount bracket (requires some extra work to fit)
7. 2.4 JTDm bleeding nipple

The next step - clutch system. There are several options:
1. <450NM (stock 1.9 110kw Vectra C/Signum flywheel + clutch + pressure plate + bearing)
2. <600NM Sachs performance Vectra C/Signum clutch kit + DMF from same Vauxhall.
3. 600+NM sachs performance paddle ceramic clutch or custom build one.

I build my own one. DMF from Vectra, custom built kevlar disc and pressure plate from Sachs Performance. This setup is rated for more than 800NM. But main weak link will be DMF, so I will limit torque to 600NM.

So, the transmission is ready. Let's begin the fun part. Turbo! I have chosen GTB2056 (from 2.4 JTDM 210HP) for two main reasons. First - relatively easy to fit. Second - good responsiveness. But stock turbo can't handle 300HP, so I built hybrid. Cold side was changed from 56mm to 60mm compressor wheel. This will allow to reach my main target. But for daily drive I think I will stay at 280HP mark just to save transmission.

Turbo installation is not straight forward.
1. Exhaust manifold from 2.4 JTDm, just cut last cylinder and weld plate. In future I'am planning to fit there EGT probe.
2. Oil feed line is from 2.4 JTDm 210HP, just shortened at hydraulic systems workshop.
3. Oil return line is made from different pieces:
a) turbo -> middle section is made from stock 1.9 JTDm oil return line
b) in middle I used silicon hose from my first Alfa 156 1.9 JTD 105HP
c) middle -> engine block was tricky one. Flange is from Fiat Stilo 1.9 8V 115HP with welded in part from 210HP return line. Slides in perfectly.

4. Most difficult part - VNT solenoid relocation. Without any modifications it will cover oil return hole. So it must be modified. In local hardware store I found threaded rod and some long nuts. It was perfect! Just to be extra safe I tack welded some nuts.

5. For air intake pipe I used stock 2.4 JTDm 210HP pipe from turbo till airbox (with 80mm MAF).

6. Exhaust side currently under progress, but I will use empty catalytic converter and slightly modified pipe from catalytic converter to DPF from 2.4 210HP. Only temporary. After MOT I will fit free flow exhaust from turbo till the end.

After this weekend programming will begin :sneaky:

By the way, other modifications already done:
1. R80 fuel pump
2. 2200 bar fuel pressure sensor
3. 327 injectors
4. 4 bar MAP
5. 80mm MAF
6. 550x230x65 intercooler
7. Oil catch can
8. Exhaust from 2.4 JTDm (twin pipe)
9. KN cone filter

Feel free to ask anything!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Nice build! What boost is possible with this hybrid turbo? Has it a modified bearing or only the bigger compressor wheel?

·
Registered
193 Posts
great project and really nice of you to post pics of delicate work :)

btw - I think 327 injectors will not give you more fuel to go above 250 HP

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice build! What boost is possible with this hybrid turbo? Has it a modified bearing or only the bigger compressor wheel?
Freshly rebuilt turbo, but I think it has stock bearings. 2.3-2.4 bar is safe for this turbo. I will try to go higher, if EGT allows it.

great project and really nice of you to post pics of delicate work :)

btw - I think 327 injectors will not give you more fuel to go above 250 HP
It will handle 300HP without a problem. There are some builds with 330+HP with these injectors.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Very interesting. Couple of things....why not just bin the 1.9 and pop in a complete 2.0JTDmn? That way you would have a proper gearbox as standard (F40) and be starting with a slightly bigger capacity. They are dead cheap too. There is no replacement for displacement...as they say!....lots over on my other passion (66-74 Dodge Charger forum!). Secondly if you are worried about the crappy DMF not taking the torque (and you will probably be right) why not go solid and remove that weakness from the equation....there are a few companies making them for 1.9/2.0.
Looking forward to seeing this progress.....might steal a few ideas for my 2.0 too!!! LOL!

·
Registered
571 Posts
So first of all I started from the main weak point of this car - gearbox. Just swapped to F40 gearbox. It will require:
1. Vectra C/Signum F40 gearbox (sadly, but 2.4 JTDm gearbox will not fit, because drive shaft will be 1cm higher)
2. Both drive shafts from 2.0 JTDm
3. 2.4 JTDm or 2.0 JTDm gearbox linkage cables
4. 2.0 JTDm upper gearbox mount
5. 2.4/2.0 JTDm upper gearbox mount bracket
6. 2.0 JTDm lower gearbox mount bracket (requires some extra work to fit)
7. 2.4 JTDm bleeding nipple
Hi, first I want to say good luck, best wishes for the project. I was going to write but I had lots of work. I know 159 is a bit different than 147 or Stilo. And sometimes gives headaches. But keep going. And you will get you reward soon.

And thank you for the information about F40. My last problem is the axles. My M32 is going strong and clutch/DMF is in very good condition for about 80.000 km. But Axles are broken maybe 4 times. I'm asking lots of times for the 2.4lt Axles and Outside Bearings, they seem to have same dimensions and power levels as 1.9lt. So It is a no no. But everybody tell me 2.0Jtdm Axles are powerfull enough to get 300+ / 600Nm . Do they have bigger diameter? or Can you give use some more informatin about them. Maybe I will put them to my M32. Or I will have to buy F40 and replace Clutch DMF and so on...

Or I will have to go Custom Axles and Bearing. Please help us, help the community...

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Nice project! I like how you tackle the various challenges that pop up when fitting a GTB2056/60 turbo to this engine.
For your clutch solution, make sure to drive it hard on a regular basis. When you drive kevlar too slow for too long the surface can "glaze", losing a lot of friction coefficient.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
https://www.ridcorona.com/ offers 243s stage 3 injectors. They say, it can handle 186mm³ @ 1800 bar with 1110us. I cant belive it...
Well, Italians can say what they want. To me it looks fishy, to be fear.
I totally agree. Will such solution deliver the fuel flow: maybe yes. Will the atomisation of the fuel be good: not at all
It will smoke like a steam locomotive, and using much more IQ/ torque unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But Axles are broken maybe 4 times. I'm asking lots of times for the 2.4lt Axles and Outside Bearings, they seem to have same dimensions and power levels as 1.9lt. So It is a no no. But everybody tell me 2.0Jtdm Axles are powerfull enough to get 300+ / 600Nm . Do they have bigger diameter?
Yes, 2.4/2.0 JTDm drive axles has a much bigger inner CV joint. Already did 25k km with 505NM, and both axle shafts like new.

Nice project! I like how you tackle the various challenges that pop up when fitting a GTB2056/60 turbo to this engine.
For your clutch solution, make sure to drive it hard on a regular basis. When you drive kevlar too slow for too long the surface can "glaze", losing a lot of friction coefficient.
Thanks! I always drive it like I stole it, so I will be fine with that :D

Where have you done hybrid turbo? Needed some modifications for cold side of the turbo?
Local turbo rebuild workshop. Last GT1756 they built too. Yes, cold side must have to be machined to fit bigger compressor wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday I started car without downpipe after long time. Freshly built turbo started to leak oil from hot side. And after engine warmed, oil stopped leaking. Workshop which build this turbo says it's normal. Has anyone encountered this before?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is not normal, if a turbo is being upgraded you should use a step / labyrinth oil seals especially when you have an open exhaust

·
Registered
636 Posts
If the turbo was some time in stock, oil can leak true the seals and came out with the first start. But is not much oil.

Here a picture of a used turbo from me. Turbine side is a little bit leaky. Turbo was fine!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for fast replays!

So, after few hours I started engine again and only one drip formatted. I think I good to go. Worst case scenario - turbo has warranty for 12 months...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, after 300 km already driven:
1. Wow, turbo responsiveness after GT1756 is phenomenal. Almost like a stock GT1749. Almost.
2. No smoke on idle, no oil consumption so far.
3. 1200 km till clutch fully beds in, so no crazy pulls, no dyno till then :cautious:
4. Clutch pedal a little bit to hard. And sometimes clutch judders when starting. But I can live with that.
5. Changed K&N cone filter to standard filter with box because of enormous intake sounds when boost is building.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did you make some datalogs of your hybrid gtb? I would be very interessting compared to my stock gtb.

Stock GTB2056V in 4th gear

1665rpm / 1818mbar
1763rpm / 2147mbar
1877rpm / 2353mbar
1999rpm / 2524mbar

1 - 19 of 19 Posts