Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alfa has a lower Brace. Unfortunately it has taken a hit. Is it factory? Does it need to be there?
If not necessary then i'll remove it as it is bent and i think it is touching the engine or exhaust and causing a vibration.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Best to put a pic here. The quick answer is: add-on braces are never OEM.

It does not need to be there for normal road use, it only really works in FAST road / track / rally use

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alfa 156 Lower Brace Photos

Here are the photos.
You can see the brace touching the exhaust. I'm getting an aful vibration so i need to take this brace off asap before it cuts into the exhaust. If it isn't factory, i'll just leave it off.
Any further thoughts?
This isn't an anti roll bar is it?
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Here are the photos.
You can see the brace touching the exhaust. I'm getting an aful vibration so i need to take this brace off asap before it cuts into the exhaust. If it isn't factory, i'll just leave it off.
I'd remove it :paranoid: It is easier than to try and fix as it lost some of its form, and thus lost some of its function. And the function is not seemingly in your frame-of-reference anyway (a few % more body rigidity)

This isn't an anti roll bar is it?
Anti-roll bars link the left shock to the right shock. They are needed to keep the car level and limit body-roll around corners: These are up-rated versions
Eibach Anti-Roll Kit Sportstabilisator - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys, Thanks for responses and confirming this isn't factory. It looked very factory as there is no branding or paint work and looks like it belongs. I failed a warrant of fitness about 5 years ago because of this brace being 98mm from the road (law is 100mm) and i recall someone saying i could remove it then. But i wanted to check with you guys.

I had a closer look last night and there wasn't really any way to bend it into shape in situ. Nothing I could lever off and I'm not going to risk the sump.

It's held on with hex drive bolts so i need to buys a tool today. At this stage I'm assuming it is just a matter of removing the brace with the car jacked up, each end at a time. I'm assuming that removing that one fastener temporarily won't cause the suspension to drop on me ;-| I think i should be able to use the same bolts again. So if i have to specially support the suspension, or clamp something let me know.

I love the way this car handles, especially around corners. I've honestly never driven a car that handles better (Formula ford maybe). brand new Car rentals always seem nice in every other way, but always feel like boats in comparison so it is a pleasure to drive the alfa again once home. If i notice the difference when removed I'll let you all know and will probably be tempted to buy another brace off ebay. But priority right now is keeping the car running at minimal cost.

Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for responses and confirming this isn't factory. It looked very factory as there is no branding or paint work and looks like it belongs. I failed a warrant of fitness about 5 years ago because of this brace being 98mm from the road (law is 100mm) and i recall someone saying i could remove it then. But i wanted to check with you guys.
I wonder if that is why the undertray was removed..??
The undertray would cover the brace, but would also reduce that 98mm even further.

Pic of my OMP brace with the original Alfa Undertray (later replaced with an Aluminium Undertray).

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if that is why the undertray was removed..??
I removed the Undertray about 3 years ago as it was starting to fall off. All the bolt up points were shagged. I noticed no difference in cooling/roadholding but the engine does get dustier without it. At one stage i had it cable tied around the lower brace. In NZ they only consider structural members for the 100mm requirement so they ignore undertrays i think.
Cheers

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Removed the Lower Brace.
Very Easy.
Jack the car up one side at a time.
Undo the bolt, (8mm Hex if i recall correctly)
Drop the brace down on that side.
Undo the bolt on the other side slightly just so you can turn the brace out of the way.
Reinstall the bolt on the first side. (I found i had to apply some jacking force under that part of the suspension so the two parts lines up again. Basically lowered the car just slightly the car onto a spare axle stand. Tried applying a clamp as well. Either works. See photos)
Jackup the other side, remove bolt, remove brace, refit bolt, lower car
Done

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh by the way. Yes it is noticeable that the brace was removed. The best way to describe it is that it feels like the car has slightly flat tyres. So so subtle though. I doubt i'll bother replacing it or repairing and refitting the brace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts