Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my alfa 156 2001 model leaks oil or something like that in the carpet. did anyone has the same problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:unsure:not from pedal clutch, its leak from both sides drive and passenger side,looks like coolant radiator behind the dash,but looks like includes some oil:unsure: in this?the heater radiator includes a kind of oil???

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oil? not. If your coolant is red then it's. Don't breathe it for long time, it's bad and could fog your windows.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Probably coolant if you have red coloured coolant in your cooling system. If it also has a sweet sort of smell in the cabin, then it's probably coolant as well.

It's likely to be the heater core/matrix. Which is a big job to replace. You could disconnect the heater hoses from the firewall and plumb them into each other so the heater core is now not part of the coolant circuit, but then you would have no heater. The hoses can be hard to access too.

Make sure you are keeping the car topped up with coolant in the mean time as you don't want it overheating.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes it will be a long and hard job. Take your time to be careful not to break parts. When you are in there you could consider replacing the A/C evaporator as well. If your A/C is working and contains gas you should get the gas extracted before you start by someone who has the correct tools as it's typically illegal to knowingly release the refrigerant into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
...despite the fact that it's the same gas used as a summer propellant in airsoft guns which obviously leak it straight to the air with each shot. Pew pew...

Daft, eh?

I wonder if there's any sealant of sorts in the coolant as that does look very thick and granular to me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts