Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all
I have recently experienced an error appearing on the screen.. MOTOR CONTROL SYSTEM FAILURE - GO TO DEALER
Bringing my car to my mechanic I was told of the throttle giving this message and he re-set through his laptop and the message disappeared.
Couple of weeks the same error appear and same procedure by my mechanic solved this for only 2-3 days.
Do I need a new throttle body as suggested by my mechanic ? The part number ( made by Bosch) is 0280-750-014 and here at Cyprus is valued ..€ 936,00 plus VAT !

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
And no you probably don't need a new throttle body, but for reference they're all the same - 2.5 156 v6 / GTA / GT V6 / GTV 3.0 v6 / 166 V6...

So buy one off eBay for around 60 euro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheaper way is get second hand one off uk ebay. One going for £80 at moment. Lot cheaper than 1000 euros.
It is 156 GTA 2002 production and I have recently found one from Germany (corseart car parts.de) for € 66.00 plus shipping charges. I am thinking to send the present throttle body:thinking::thinking::bowtie::bowtie::bowtie::yes::yes: to Bosch for repairing / refurbish, just to have it in my stock for future needs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was going through this for months now... I had P0120 & P1122 & P0168 (not exactly sure for this one)

After checking all connectors: throttle pedal, connectors behind dash board, throttle body the same error codes appeared again and again and again... I also cleaned the Throttle body, It's not to complicated as you can disassemble it by just loosening the 6 Metal clips and if there's any corrosion you will see it. Error codes appeared again and again and again...

The Solution to get rid of was re-soldering the capacitor to the injection ECU's PCB as described in the 147GTA DIY ECU http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta/375231-147gta-diy-ecu-repair.htmlrepair thread. After opening the ECU the capacitor moved on the PCB when first touching it. If you are able to solder smd electronics it should be no big deal. Just be careful not to touch anything else. And make a proper relearn of the throttle body!

My 156 GTA is now running with no error codes for about 300 km and seems to be cured!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will check the protocol when I'm back at my garage...

I just can't remember the digits of the code P0168 was from my old man's memory :paranoid:

·
Registered
2 Posts
alfa 156 gta ecu

Hi everyone !
I am looking for an Ecu for a 156 gta, I am a Alfa enthusiast from Italy !
y car is stiopped since almost 1 year:irked:
Do you know where I could find this spare?
Thanks in advance for your help and Good ALFA to everyone :)

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Hi everyone !
I am looking for an Ecu for a 156 gta, I am a Alfa enthusiast from Italy !
y car is stiopped since almost 1 year:irked:
Do you know where I could find this spare?
Thanks in advance for your help and Good ALFA to everyone :)
Autolusso can sort an ecu which will plug straight in and work... try them.. ask for Ned

Autolusso

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to update the missing code,

Is it possible you mean P1688? On the 147 / GT this can be thrown up through an earth fault.
It was "P1687 - Motorised throttle (stop learn)" so 3 out of 4 digits have be right...

Unfortunately my old Bast*rd Friends P0120 & P1122 appeared again today after 500km without any worries... :furious:

Need to get into wiring again...

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
OK I WILL CONTACT THEM AND LET YOU KNOW,
I FOUND A NEW ONE IN GERMANY BUT THEY ASKED 1800 EUROS :censored:
MANY THANKS !
CIAO
:thumbup:
Sold the last used one to Hong Kong

If you can find a second hand one we can program it to work on your car

You need an ECU from:

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA manual or Selespeed

Alfa Romeo 147 GTA manual or Selespeed

Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2 manual

Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 manual or Auto

Some late 156 2.5

ECU needs to be a EM 7.3.1

I have got some new ones on order but I am not expecting to see them for at least a month

Ned

1 - 15 of 15 Posts