Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I am now on the lookout for a new car. Need to decide what to do with my old one and what to buy as replacement. Anyone any thoughts (ball park!) on what I might get for a car without a running engine?!? Cylinders 1 and 3 lost compression, oil vanished. Got a stainless steel straight through exhaust. Any money received would be reinvested, but that's gonna be my next quandry as my wife wants me not to get another Alfa :(

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
new (used) engine should be do-able for under £1000 fitted.

if the rest of the car is ok then this may be a better route, allowing you to keep your lafa whilst keeping the mrs happy as it's saving money.

give autolusso penrith a ding, from your location I think they are the nearest AL, or Gus at alfatune...

ebay will throw up a good used engine for snywhere from £250-400..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROME...453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4e21156d

this one supplied and fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROME...ms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=29952&mei

this one is only £325 with all ancillaries, 75k on the clock and a good shout.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I mentioned it to Gus he was actually the one suggesting it wouldn't be worth doing... I will admit I'm torn. On the plus side, I think she would now consider an Alfa, so long as it's not a saloon or a 2-door which basically means I'm looking at a 156/159 Sportwagon. I could buy one like this:

Same colour as the old one, 1 year newer...

Just depends if it's better doing that instead... She asked what other cars I'd consider and I was coming up short (based on budget) because there are too many functional but boring cars out there. I may drive one and change my mind but visually I don't want a complete euro/jap box, I want to do a bit like now where I can walk away and look back still being happy to have the 156 after 6 years.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Looks like we will end up with an A4 Avant... So I'd anyone is interested in a 156 for spares or repair, gimme a shout with an offer. Had passed mot in December as well. Any questions or viewing requests, just ask. If no interest will ebay or scrap it. Based in Lancashire nr M6

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures added. Got 2 possible interested parties so anyone else taking an interest, mosey on over for a gander and let me know!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now posted in the classifieds if anyone is interested in a spares/repairs. Additional photos were also posted in the NW thread linked above.

Used Shell Nitro+ (and earlier equivalents) almost exclusively in the 5+ yrs of ownership.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,
as a matter of interest, any idea why it went pop? Was it the tuning?
Did the oil run low for any reason?
How many miles had it done?

Antony

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
as a matter of interest, any idea why it went pop? Was it the tuning?
Did the oil run low for any reason?
How many miles had it done?

Antony
It was the oil - in hindsight, it was burning the oil but no smell (no noticeable leak puddles anywhere) - when I noticed smoke at the back it only ever happened when driving through roadworks and thought it was the dust kicking up. It has been tuned for a few years and no issues with oil usage or anything at all. It was on about 96k and I'd bought it with about 45k on the clock in Dec '09. The tuning was done 2011 iirc (I'd have to check back). Oh and the handbrake cable snapped a week earlier (though I live where it's flat so hadn't rushed to get that done. MOT was around Dec/Jan and it had been serviced in Jan. Only time I went through a larger amount of oil was after it's 2nd service at MVC when Shell oil was used. Mostly it's had Selenia apart from a top up with Mobil (always 10W60). Used Shell Super Unleaded (in it's various forms) almost exclusively since purchase.

As we're in the midst of selling the house/moving area/training and finding a job, I may have missed a sign, or been more inquisitive of the smoke that I thought was dust (it was never in large quantities and only seemed to be around the roadworks when I noticed it hence I didn't worry with no smell either). If I'd been more mechanically minded myself I'd probably look to get it back on the road with either a replacement engine or repair the current one (would prefer to repair it if I could) but paying someone else for the labour just doesn't make it cost effective for me. It's got Dunlops all round and I'm sure there's plenty parts if someone wanted to get all their spares - the stainless steel exhaust etc. There is a single tear on the driver's seat that has been there since I bought it.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
How much you after and where you based?
Easy enough to drop an engine in.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ideally £300 (of course if someone offered more I wouldn't turn it down ;) ) as I think that it would likely be worth that in parts if someone wanted to strip it down or just drop an engine in.

The AO Classified ad.

Based in Leyland just off the M6 (that's just south of Preston where the M65 meets the M6 for those not in the know!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last chance if anyone is interested this week as I need to now think about clearing the drive...

Alternatively, if anyone wants to swap wheels and tyres so that I scrap random/illegal tyres, then let me know with a suggested price. Will check tomorrow but 99% certain that it's Dunlops all round (bluresponse I think) Similarly if anyone wanted to remove the exhaust and swap it for their's, give me a price... In fact anything can be switched so long as it's seen as "in tact" when it's scrapped...

It does need a bit of a clean as it's been sat under the car port for a few weeks now.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheeky bump...

ok, been away for a few days and no responses but really don't want to scrap the 156 so open to offers ideally around £200-225 (buyer collects). Will have original stereo and no bluetooth in it.

·
Vendor
46,241 Posts
I'd rather see this to someone thats going to fix it up as it does look save-able, so maybe give it a bit longer and see if anyone is interested in taking it as a project, try ebay maybe? If no-one wants it and its going for scrap, I'll start the bidding at £150.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's kinda why, after a holiday, I decided to give it another go.. Selling on Fleabay will cost with no guarantees hence prefer to do through here.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any able to offer £200? Such a small risk for a great saloon (well, ok, when the engine is running again!) if you are able to swap the engine. If I was single I'd be fixing it, but alas, there's 2 of us making decisions now.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
If it was closer I'd take it off your hands.
But you are a bit too far away for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts