Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I think comparing movies of the speedo the determine the power is only an indication. I think a more reliable way to compare the power is look at the time difference in a 4th gear datalog. I usually look at the time from 2000-4500 rpm, but also at the times for 500 rpm steps. So 4000-4500 rpm for power and 2500-3500 rpm for torque comparisons. This method proved to be very accurate when I tested different mappings on the road, and compared the predictions with the dyno figures.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think comparing movies of the speedo the determine the power is only an indication. I think a more reliable way to compare the power is look at the time difference in a 4th gear datalog. I usually look at the time from 2000-4500 rpm, but also at the times for 500 rpm steps. So 4000-4500 rpm for power and 2500-3500 rpm for torque comparisons. This method proved to be very accurate when I tested different mappings on the road, and compared the predictions with the dyno figures.
I agree, but dragy times are reliable and also downhill slopes bigger than 1% are automatically invalid. There are not so many people willing to share logs, and also logs can be deceiving because of road slope.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is fairy tale...
1. Forget any normal tuning without MAF, this is the only tool for precise control over A/F.
2. Diesel will start smoking hard (black) on A/F below 16/1 and you are showing logs with A/F 13/1 and stating no smoke is there...
3. Injection quantity requires recalculating internal ECU tables that describe exact type of injector for exact fuel pressure, you change injector and pressure? - then you have to get test list from company which done injector tuning or rebuild with another nozzle and put those numbers into ECU (maps of duration*rpm->quantity and corrections for fuel rail pressure and temperature).

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is fairy tale...
1. Forget any normal tuning without MAF, this is the only tool for precise control over A/F.
2. Diesel will start smoking hard (black) on A/F below 16/1 and you are showing logs with A/F 13/1 and stating no smoke is there...
3. Injection quantity requires recalculating internal ECU tables that describe exact type of injector for exact fuel pressure, you change injector and pressure? - then you have to get test list from company which done injector tuning or rebuild with another nozzle and put those numbers into ECU (maps of duration*rpm->quantity and corrections for fuel rail pressure and temperature).
1. the only true AFR tool is to install an AFR sensor with a gauge :)

2. correct

3. correct

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
This is fairy tale...
Maybe you are refering to Fairy Tail, so :
Fairy Tail By Wikipedia!!
Maf based tuning is not without it's if's and but's also, because you get a air mass reading at the intake before air is compressed, heated and then cooled, and there are always a loss of mass!!!

Car is running just fine with NO VISIBLE smoke, at least until my intake temps rise a bit too much because of a bad intercooler. My injection table is perfectly calibrated because i use ducati injectors, so just copy ducati factory injection tables and you are set!!! Yes i use higher pressures but is easy to extrapolate this!
I use Map based tuning also on TDI's with nozzles or stock injection and can make them smokeless, maybe you should try that sometime, instead of just writing some theoretical rubish!
Why such a big complicated text for such a simple and easy thing to do!!!

Be Well!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts