Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.
2 days ago I bought this horrid Alfa Romeo 147 for pennies as it's seen better days. I bought it for the same amount it's worth in scrap, don't mind spending money on it to make it nice.

So when I initially inspected the car the car sounded like a diesel. I suspected it was a bad variator test drove it and everything seemed fine. (for the price)

The car sounds like a diesel upon start up and during driving only when giving it revs the noise is gone. But what made me suspicious is when the oil pressure light starter appearing when stopping during traffic lights.

The car is a 2001 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 Twinspark 118HP at 270km.

The sound seems to be coming from the middle/bottom end of the engine, it doesn't drink large amount of oil and it doesn't smoke and drives fine. On idle it's not rough nor during acceleration and it's more of a diesel sound and I don't hear metal/scraping noises at all.

So to sum it up: Diesel sound all the time heard from the bottom, low oil pressure warning when it goes up to operating temperature, no metallic sound, drives fine, doesn't smoke from the exhaust, isn't rough.

I haven't owned an Twinspark in a while, I am hoping that It's the cam variator and that low oil pressure is due to the wrong type of oil being in the engine as the previous owner admitted it to. So I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and hope that it the cause of the low oil pressure.

Here is a video of it. (cold)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
That's a bit more than simply a worn variator. Most of the noise is from lower down so I'd expect the crankshaft bearing shells to be damaged/worn. I also think a careful check of crankshaft bearing journals is needed.

I hope it is ok for you but I'd have walked away from that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts