Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought my Alfa in April this year, 03 plate.

About 10 days ago the message 'Motor Control System Failure' flashed up on the dash & since then it's been blowing excessive black smoke out everytime I'm accelerating.

I've had a local garage do a full service on it, but it's made no difference. The error message only came up once, and I haven't suffered any loss of power etc, the car seems to be running fine apart from it's embarrassing new cloaking device mechanism!

Any advice??

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
:( On my 147 JTD '03 it was a split in the hose from the turbo intercooler to the throttle body,which upsets the ECU and causes over-fuelling, hence the smoke. The hose below the car from the turbo to the intercooler can also be prone to splitting. A quick search on here will throw up a variety of causes for black smoke, best to take it a step at a time, hoses, EGR, MAF etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
+1 mojo51, black smoke indicates unburned fuel due to over-fuelling, check all the hoses (look under the clips too as they like to hide :)).

·
Registered
66 Posts
had a lot of black smoke few months back also after closer inspection was a hole in turbo pipe replaced pipe cost me 90 quid from manoletsi (sure a good coating of gaffer tape would have plugged it but i had few quid spare so bought new one)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for your help so far!

I took it to a garage tonight, mechanic used to work for Alfa.

He had me rev the engine & said it's not the turbo pipe as no whistling noise. He said it is the EGR valve. He put 2 cans of Diesel Cleaner (or something similar) in the tank & told me to drive it about for a bit at high speed, so this I did.

The result was still the same amount of smoke, but when going faster the engine management light & 'motor control system failure' kept flashing on / off.

I'm going to ring them again tomorrow, but does all this sound accurate? Any idea how much a new EGR valve will cost if it comes to that?

·
Registered
202 Posts
:) EGR's can be cleaned and fettled, there are loads of threads on here about how to fix them; it is a DIY job, if you can wield a spanner or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since it`s not whistling, it could be the lower turbo hose(from turbo to the intercooler). I had the same issue few weeks ago, first replaced the upper hose(it stopped the whistling noise), then the lower hose(stopped the black smoke and MCSF). Cleaning the EGR is also good idea, lots of info how to do it on the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts