Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I went to repair the horn on my 146 at the weekend. Cleaned the contacts on the horn, hey presto all working. On driving the car later that day I noticed the fuel gauge and temp gauge were giving false readings. Also on turning the headlights on it would cancel out the speedo, rev counter. All lights/ indicators on the car work according to the switches. Am guessing an earthing fault? Any Ideas?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
It sounds too unrelated to be related. The instrument cluster is self-contained within its cowl and I dunno how you could affect it just by fiddling with the horn contacts. Have a usual check of the fuses and relays.. make sure none of them went loose.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your response. Problem sorted, there is an earthing point just to the right of the horn as your looking at the car. I mustve knocked it when doing the horn. In there was a purple and black wire which evidently is related to the instrument panel. re connected all the wires going to this point, it would appear job done. MOT tomorrow.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your hands are small enough you can get them in behind the head light. I went the long way round removed the headlight so i could get in there and clean each individual contact. If that fails you may need to go to the earthing point where i found all the wires to be green :-\

·
Registered
1 Posts
Horn problems

If your hands are small enough you can get them in behind the head light. I went the long way round removed the headlight so i could get in there and clean each individual contact. If that fails you may need to go to the earthing point where i found all the wires to be green :-\
Hello there. Actually the headlight does not have to be removed, instead, the right turn light can be easily taken out, unclipping a spring-like retainer. Then, the horns contacts can be easily maipulated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts