Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting from Harare, Zimbabwe. I own an Alfa Romeo 146 1.6 Twin Spark of year 2000.

Very sorry to say that I haven't really enjoyed driving this car since importing it about a year ago:

The current major problems are:

1. The injector warning light on the dash is continously on. Posts on the form have attributed this to a MAF sensor that needs cleaning. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where this component is and how to access it? Also where do I find the Stepper motor - another suspect that needs cleaning.
2. The idle is very rough and fuel consumption very bad at 5km/ltr of petrol
3. Cylinder 1 and 4 are not firing. Have replaced plugs to no avail. Could this be faulty injectors?

Please help me bring my Alfa back to shape.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Cylinder 1 and 4 not firing will make the consumption bad and idle rough.

Check the cabling to the injectors. The MAF is on the air intake pipe between the filter and the manifold. Be careful with the MAF - it is sensitive.

The Stepper motor adjusts the idling speed - will make it "hunt" - speed up, slow down - not constant rough idling.

Maybe 1 & 4 does not get spark? If you take out the plugs on 1 & 4 are they moist? Did you do the spark test - keep plug in lead, touch the engine block with the plug and have someone turn the key - check if you can see a spark?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hallo Gurus

The solution search continues here in Zim. I have sought expert opinion on the Alfa and the garage reports says:
1. My all my four fuel injectors are completely clogged and damaged beyond repair. As a result I have bought a used replacement fuel rail complete with four orange injectors. This has not been fitted yet.
2. It was revealed that the car was running with a 'Makeshift' fuel pump and not the original fuel pump unit. The Makeshift unit only comprises a fuel pump in the tank with a filter cloth at the end. The actual fuel filter has been removed and the fuel gauge is missing. I have elected to have the whole fuel pump system in the tank replaced but I think I received a wrong part. I was supplied with a fuel pump unit for a 146 1.4 TS instead of a 146 1.6 TS. Are these compatible?
3. The other school of thought is that cylinder 1 and 4 were not firing because the fuel pressure was insufficient to trigger injectors 1 and 4 to open. Any truth in this???

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I'm posting from Harare, Zimbabwe. I own an Alfa Romeo 146 1.6 Twin Spark of year 2000.

Very sorry to say that I haven't really enjoyed driving this car since importing it about a year ago:

The current major problems are:

1. The injector warning light on the dash is continously on. Posts on the form have attributed this to a MAF sensor that needs cleaning. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where this component is and how to access it? Also where do I find the Stepper motor - another suspect that needs cleaning.
2. The idle is very rough and fuel consumption very bad at 5km/ltr of petrol
3. Cylinder 1 and 4 are not firing. Have replaced plugs to no avail. Could this be faulty injectors?

Please help me bring my Alfa back to shape.
The chances are that it's not the MAF or ISM that are at fault but the 2 coil packs on cylinders 1 and 4.the MAF and the ISM will not bring on the injection light, but the coil packs do, in this case I would suggest replacing all 4 of them and the boots underneath them too.

Items 8 and 14 in the link below. If you have to go through Alfa then item 1 is the cheapest way and just replace the lot.

http://77.251.11.230:7080/navi?COUNTRY=012&GRP_COD=551&SBMK=R&DRIVE=S&SGS_COD=0&MAKE=R&COMM_MODEL=146&CAT_COD=W4&MOD_COD=134&SGRP_COD=1&ALL_FIG=0&LANGUAGE=3&PREVIOUS_KEY=SUBGROUP_7&ALL_LIST_PART=0&SB_CODE=-1&KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&PRINT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Hallo Gurus

The solution search continues here in Zim. I have sought expert opinion on the Alfa and the garage reports says:
1. My all my four fuel injectors are completely clogged and damaged beyond repair. As a result I have bought a used replacement fuel rail complete with four orange injectors. This has not been fitted yet.
2. It was revealed that the car was running with a 'Makeshift' fuel pump and not the original fuel pump unit. The Makeshift unit only comprises a fuel pump in the tank with a filter cloth at the end. The actual fuel filter has been removed and the fuel gauge is missing. I have elected to have the whole fuel pump system in the tank replaced but I think I received a wrong part. I was supplied with a fuel pump unit for a 146 1.4 TS instead of a 146 1.6 TS. Are these compatible?
3. The other school of thought is that cylinder 1 and 4 were not firing because the fuel pressure was insufficient to trigger injectors 1 and 4 to open. Any truth in this???
African makeshift and Alfa don't mix - its any body's guess if the car is not standard - so for now replace all the makeshifts to get the car back into original shape and take it from there.

1. Definitely try the new rail, but fit new rail only after fuel supply is corrected and clean - don't break the new injectors too :rolleyes: .

2. Don't think they differ much between the TS engines. But I could be corrected,

3. Low fuel pressure will most definitely influence performance, but not influence the trigger - too high pressure could rather stop injectors opening. The pressure on the rail is the same for all injectors - the symptom is not the same on all injectors - so investigate the individual injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Gertie

I have taken your advice, I will not fit in the 'new' injector rail until I take delivery of my fuel pump unit from Alfaman (UK). Its possible that injectors were clogging because of poor fuel filtration given that the whole fuel filter has been removed.

Agreed 100%, Alfa and work arounds don't mix at all.

Problem is am an isolated Alfa Owner in the midst of Africa and help is not as readily available.

Hoping that the fuel injector warning light will go off once I fit in the correct fuel pump complete with a fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update Time: I have taken delivery of my origianal fuel pump and fitted it together with four new fuel injectors and 8 new spark plugs.

Good news is that my fuel gauge is now working.

Bad news is that the idle is still very rough and erratic. When the car is just idling the rev counter is moving up and down on its own. As a result fuel consumption is still very bad.

Could this be the throttle body OR the MAF now. Please help. I have spent a fortune to have this baby running and am almost giving up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts